Rebooking Cruise Onboard

I took advantage of the $1 deposit offer a few days ago & booked a cruise for next September.  I am currently booked on a cruise for September of this year & wondering if I will be able to cancel my future booking when I am onboard & rebook it to take advantage of the onboard booking offer? 

OK, a little confused here. Can you cancel your 2025 cruise on board, and take advantage of any possible sale that might be available on board when you sail in this coming September? 

Yes, no, maybe. Depends on the rules of your current 2025 booking. I suspect you can...if the $1 deposit is non-refundable...you are only out $1. 

But, most importantly, you don't know what sales will be offered on board this coming September. Obviously, you will need to evaluate what you have, versus what might be offered on board.

We wanted to do the same thing.  They could not cancel our cruise for us.  We were able to book the cruise onboard and had to cancel the original cruise when we got home.

• Like 3

Depends upon whether or not the cruise you booked has a non-refundable deposit and if you are willing to lose the deposit.

I quickly looked at the recent $1 deposit promo and to my understanding it wasn't the typical $1 deposit promo.  HAL changed it so that the $1 deposit was the initial deposit and another deposit amount was due so many days after booking.  I suggest you check your booking for details as I fear some people may have thought this $1 booking promo was the same as previous $1 promos and they may be in for a surprise when their credit cards are charged for the additional deposit.

25 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Depends upon whether or not the cruise you booked has a non-refundable deposit and if you are willing to lose the deposit.

I quickly looked at the recent $1 deposit promo and to my understanding it wasn't the typical $1 deposit promo.  HAL changed it so that the $1 deposit was the initial deposit and another deposit amount was due so many days after booking.  I suggest you check your booking for details as I fear some people may have thought this $1 booking promo was the same as previous $1 promos and they may be in for a surprise when their credit cards are charged for the additional deposit.

The $99 top-up deposit is not charged automatically. It's due 240 days before sailing on cruises that were farther out. You still have to go in and pay it. You could have theoretically booked either refundable, non-refundable, or HIA, which is refundable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We wanted to do the same thing.  They could not cancel our cruise for us.  We were able to book the cruise onboard and had to cancel the original cruise when we got home.

Same with us.

Most likely the $1 deposit promotion would need to be in effect when you take your cruise this coming September.  Sounds like dfish was on her cruise while the promotion was in effect.

The On Board Cruise Consultants who would assist with booking a cruise are there to only book a cruise, they will not assist with canceling even if you booked directly with HAL.  But if you are wanting to rebook the same cruise thinking it will give you more ship board credit (it probably will) you will need to cancel first. Depending on the On Board Cruise Consultant they may refuse to book it for you and or there is also a chance of the second one being booked being canceled by the system for being double booked.

I would just cancel it prior to getting on the cruise. Was the purpose for booking to tie up a particular stateroom? Of for booking for September 2025 that would be under the Early Booking Bonus with Have It All Plus, the price will be the same when you book while on board the only difference will be they double up the ship board credit you normally give when using a Future Cruise Deposit. 

On 7/19/2024 at 7:34 AM, cheriberi said:

Yes, we are inside final payment. Just booked 2 days ago for cruise in September 2025. 

You are "inside final payment" for a cruise that 14 months away?

Oops! Sorry, we are outside final payment. Looks like we wouldn’t be able to cancel onboard so I am just going to keep our current booking since we received the Early Bird perks & I would rather not take the chance of losing them.