Jade engine issues delayed until Sunday

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

How so?  If you do all of the scheduled maintenance on your car, and it still breaks down, is it your fault?

Lets say you run a taxi service. You pick up passengers to take them to a concert and the taxi breaks down, and instead of the concert, you say that you can limp to the dive bar down the street instead, and the have a band that only has a 30 min set left. Should the passengers then have to pay the full fair? Cause I would expect that they would be paying nothing with an extreme apology. That is what you do when you run a business. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, StuckOnABoat said:

Lets say you run a taxi service. You pick up passengers to take them to a concert and the taxi breaks down, and instead of the concert, you say that you can limp to the dive bar down the street instead, and the have a band that only has a 30 min set left. Should the passengers then have to pay the full fair? Cause I would expect that they would be paying nothing with an extreme apology. That is what you do when you run a business. 

I didn't say anything about customer relations.  I asked why it would be NCL's fault.  That taxi break down isn't the owner's fault (if it was maintained properly), but as you say, good business relations would require compensation.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:29 PM, Crownme02 said:

we ate at Le Bistro the french restaurant wish I could eat there every night !!

we were on the 7 day turned to 8 day cruise before you and really enjoyed our dinner at Le Bistro.

We thought Grand Pacific was way better than Alizar as far as the free restaurants. Alizar had very slow service.

38 minutes ago, eyecantwait said:

we were on the 7 day turned to 8 day cruise before you and really enjoyed our dinner at Le Bistro.

We thought Grand Pacific was way better than Alizar as far as the free restaurants. Alizar had very slow service.

Yes to grand pacific being the preferred free restaurant we went to Aliza last night and it was only ok. We will be back at the pacific tonight 😁

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crownme02 said:

Yes to grand pacific being the preferred free restaurant we went to Aliza last night and it was only ok. We will be back at the pacific tonight 😁

Must be the service because the food for both comes out of the same kitchen. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I didn't say anything about customer relations.  I asked why it would be NCL's fault.  That taxi break down isn't the owner's fault (if it was maintained properly), but as you say, good business relations would require compensation.

Who's fault is it? The universe? Sorry, in this day, blame is assigned. In this case, it's NCL's fault. It's their equipment. It's their equipment that failed (properly maintained or not). Therefore, NCL is at fault. Whether compensation is owed, is another issue. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, zqvol said:

Must be the service because the food for both comes out of the same kitchen. 

Many people have no clue some of the kitchens serve the exact same food at 2-3 restaurants 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Who's fault is it? The universe? Sorry, in this day, blame is assigned. In this case, it's NCL's fault. It's their equipment. It's their equipment that failed (properly maintained or not). Therefore, NCL is at fault. Whether compensation is owed, is another issue. 

Wow.  So glad that I worked my entire career in an industry that matured enough to get away from a "blame culture" when an incident happens, and move to a "what is the root cause and how can we fix it" culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2024 at 6:56 PM, Cruiser8087 said:

For those curious of the itinerary change, details below.

- Notification Time:Less than 24 hours before check-in. Talk about a last-minute surprise!
- Shortened Cruise:By one whole day. (Because who needs that extra day of relaxation, right?)
- Port of Call Casualties:Goodbye Tortola and San Juan. We were especially looking forward to Tortola. 🏝️

NCL’s compensation

- 20% Future Cruise Credit: Like a rain check on a future party – nice to have, but doesn’t quite make up for the missed celebration.

- Pro-rated Refund for One Day Lost: A decent gesture, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

- $100 credit to stateroom

Thoughts on from those impacted on the compensation? And those not impacted - what would you have considered fair given the details above?

More than fair.Only thing is that they should compensate maybe for the hotel, but for the cruise part the compensation is more than fair.

I know you never got to Tortola and San Juan on this cruise and that you went to Nassau yesterday instead, but did you get to Great Stirrup Cay today too?

Also - has there been any more info on the mechanical issue that caused the delay for this cruise.  Has it been fixed or just fixed well enough for this shorter cruise with a modified itinerary?

7 hours ago, Hmmcminn said:

I know you never got to Tortola and San Juan on this cruise and that you went to Nassau yesterday instead, but did you get to Great Stirrup Cay today too?

Also - has there been any more info on the mechanical issue that caused the delay for this cruise.  Has it been fixed or just fixed well enough for this shorter cruise with a modified itinerary?

Yes we were able to be in Stirrip cay today, out of the original itinerary of a 7 day cruise this was the only original port where we had no problems. I have no idea if the problems are fixed going ahead but we seem to be moving at a good pace. Hope that helps 

On 7/25/2024 at 10:29 AM, Laszlo said:

Many people have no clue some of the kitchens serve the exact same food at 2-3 restaurants 

I’m not a novice cruiser so I know they use the same kitchens but honestly there is a difference when we get it from pacific vs the other one. It’s my personal opinion so 🤷🏽‍♀️

13 hours ago, Crownme02 said:

I’m not a novice cruiser so I know they use the same kitchens but honestly there is a difference when we get it from pacific vs the other one. It’s my personal opinion so 🤷🏽‍♀️

My point was not to single you out, more of a general point

Couldn't any cruise line proactively replace parts before they break? Or, maybe that just costs too much money? I guess they'd rather wait until there's issues and then fix them. Imagine planes just dropping from the sky because a part failed and saying oh well it happens, they did the required maintenance. I don't worry about my engine spinning a bearing or throwing a rod, I maintain my vehicles. Besides, I buy a new car every 4 or 5 years. Losing the two best stops and replacing them with Nassau and the petty credit they received isn't fair compensation.

6 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

Couldn't any cruise line proactively replace parts before they break?

They already do, that's called preventative maintenance.  Yet, not every part is going to last exactly the same time as other "identical" parts, so failures still occur.  Do your car's brakes always last the same amount of time between changes?  Do you replace every part in the brake system every time you replace brake pads, just in case one part may fail?

And, what most folks don't understand, is that while azipods have been used on ships for 25 years, the sample size for garnering predictive failure data is very small.  There are less than 1000 azipods, total, in  service to date, and many of them are much smaller units than the large ones used on cruise ships, making the pertinent database even smaller.  Compare the azipod database of <1000 units over 25 years, to the "traditional" shafted propeller system (whether steam, diesel, or diesel electric powered) that is used on nearly all of the 80,000 merchant ships operating today (not to mention the world's navies), and this system has been in use (and so providing data on reliability) for 200 years.  Only 13 cruise ships have operated for 25 years with azipods, so full lifespan reliability data is rare, and the smaller the data sample, the less reliable the conclusions are.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

is anyone taking the Jade to the Caribbean (specifically the port of Jamaica Falmouth) We just got off Saturday (august 3rd) and one of the excursions was completely advertised incorrectly. I am unable to screen shot the photos from the excursion add (for proof) as the excursion is no longer visible to my online account once we had taken it. The excursion is called  Appleton rum tasting at Good Hope Estate. Any future cruiser with a MyNCL account should be able to see the excursion. The first picture is of a beautifully restored sugar plantation, but we stood on a dirt road and got a tour of Coconut trees.. no plantation. I am hoping to find the excursion advertised and screen shot the page, as NCL wont do anything with out proof 😞  The first picture on the page shows a beautiful veranda with antique furniture. I just don't want anyone to fall into the trap. Instead of the promised beautiful estate and lush grounds, this is what we were shown ( see picture below). Even the tour guide said .'Oh they closed that part

of the tour, but didn't mention it on the page'. Much appreciated! Gary

thh.jpg

Edited by Gary2015
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gary2015 said:

is anyone taking the Jade to the Caribbean (specifically the port of Jamaica Falmouth) We just got off Saturday (august 3rd) and one of the excursions was completely advertised incorrectly. I am unable to screen shot the photos (for proof) as the excursion is no longer visible to my online account once we had taken it. The excursion is called  Appleton rum tasting at Good Hope Estate. Any future cruiser with a MyNCL account should be able to see the excursion. The first picture is of a beautifully restored sugar plantation, but we stood on a dirt road and got a tour of Coconut trees.. no plantation. I am hoping to find the excursion advertised and screen shot the page, as NCL wont do anything with out proof 😞  I just don't want anyone to fall into the trap. Much appreciated! Gary

It sounds like you got this tour (possibly)...

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/FMH_84/Island-Tour-And-Rum-Tasting?destination=Caribbean+Cruises&port=FMH&sort=title&sortOrder=asc&perPage=12

Posted (edited)

Thanks ggTexas, I just checked your link and that one is different, there was no St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Georgian-style Falmouth Court House and Water Square, on our tour. The first picture on the page shows a beautiful veranda with antique furniture. Our tour was rum tasting and estate tour only...but no estate lol  Thank you for your quick response,

I appreciate it!

Edited by Gary2015
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary2015 said:

is anyone taking the Jade to the Caribbean (specifically the port of Jamaica Falmouth) We just got off Saturday (august 3rd) and one of the excursions was completely advertised incorrectly. I am unable to screen shot the photos from the excursion add (for proof) as the excursion is no longer visible to my online account once we had taken it. The excursion is called  Appleton rum tasting at Good Hope Estate. Any future cruiser with a MyNCL account should be able to see the excursion. The first picture is of a beautifully restored sugar plantation, but we stood on a dirt road and got a tour of Coconut trees.. no plantation. I am hoping to find the excursion advertised and screen shot the page, as NCL wont do anything with out proof 😞  The first picture on the page shows a beautiful veranda with antique furniture. I just don't want anyone to fall into the trap. Instead of the promised beautiful estate and lush grounds, this is what we were shown ( see picture below). Even the tour guide said .'Oh they closed that part

thh.jpg

I am on the next sailing and the excursion is no longer showing. But I remember seeing it numerous times while I was deciding on excursions. And your pic is nothing like the advertising pic I saw☹️

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I am on the next sailing and the excursion is no longer showing. But I remember seeing it numerous times while I was deciding on excursions. And your pic is nothing like the advertising pic I saw☹️

Thank you Latinain,  my guess is they changed the picture after I  went to the excursion desk after the excursion was over. I appreciate your answer. The cost was about 260.00 for both of us and NCL only gave us 15 dollars back each for the inconvenience, they said that the tour was as advertised. 😞

Edited by Gary2015
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary2015 said:

Thank you Latinain,  my guess is they changed the picture after I  went to the excursion desk after the excursion was over. I appreciate your answer. The cost was about 260.00 for both of us and NCL only gave us 15 dollars back each for the inconvenience, they said that the tour was as advertised. 😞

Wow only $15, that's terrible. Sadly in the last few years I have had 3 ship booked excursions that had issues. One I got half refunded, the other two they were going to look into it and get back to me which never happened.

23 hours ago, Gary2015 said:

thh.jpg

I’m very sorry this happened to you.  It seems the tour is no longer being offered, which further substantiates your report. By any chance, did you get the name of the company that provided the tour — perhaps they might confirm what their guide said, that the estate part of the tour had been closed. 

In any event, even if you can’t access the NCL advertised photo, NCL can. And how does the confirmation of your tour describe the experience? 

It’s not a small sum of money. You might want to pursue it further with NCL, but I think the best time would have been on board, going further up the chain. 

Good luck! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m very sorry this happened to you.  It seems the tour is no longer being offered, which further substantiates your report. By any chance, did you get the name of the company that provided the tour — perhaps they might confirm what their guide said, that the estate part of the tour had been closed. 

In any event, even if you can’t access the NCL advertised photo, NCL can. And how does the confirmation of your tour describe the experience? 

It’s not a small sum of money. You might want to pursue it further with NCL, but I think the best time would have been on board, going further up the chain. 

Good luck! 

Hi Turtles06,

Thank you so much for the response.

I did go to the front desk right after the excursion ended to tell them of their error and, the way it seems to work on NCL, is that they wait until the last night to give you their verdict, I’m guessing so that you don’t have time to escalate it. And as clockwork on the last night around 10PM there was a message on my cabin machine saying the vendor of the excursion won the dispute. And then they offered us 15 dollars for the inconvenience.

I have scanned the description from their excursions page, it does mention a tour of GoodHope estate and Lush grounds (I have circled that) and of course that did not happen. We never saw Good Hope estate and its lush grounds.

Below I have added the picture of the estate we were supposed to tour and where they took us (the bottom picture).. I’ve read the description below a number of times, and I still believe it was misinterpreted. Oh well live and learn. Thank you again for your kind words! The sad thing is that we don’t feel good about doing excursions with them any more because of how they dismissed us. (We have spent quite a bit of money on EXC’s with NCL in the past) but will now consider third party companies with good reviews before doing any more with them in the future. ☹  Have you noticed they removed all feedback from their excursion’s sale pages in the last few years? I think it’s a bit telling as well ☹

Oh PS, The engine issues seem to be resolved for anyone following this thread, our cruise went smoothly 🙂

k.jpg

goodhop1.jpg

goodhop2.jpg

Edited by Gary2015
  • Thanks 3