Cost Cutting: Generic "Welcome Aboard" replaces more personalized, detailed "Cruise Vacation Guide"

MEFIowa

Fascinating to see how disappointed my wife was yesterday when we received our cruise packet 40 days out for our upcoming London to Stockholm cruise on Sirena, starting Aug 28th. "Disappointed" is an understatement. Do take into mind, she likes saving these for scrapbooking.

Comparing the OLD 11/2022 Sirena cruise packet to the NEW 8/2024 Sirena cruise packet...

There is just nothing personal or cruise-specific in the new "Welcome Aboard" booklet. A shorter generic presentation of Sirena that they could mail to any prospective new customer. No information about the cruise or the ports, either. She misses just looking at the front page of the old "Cruise Vacation Guide" that has the name of the cruise, the dates, embarkation and disembarkation ports, and some image "related" to the cruise.

Feels like I've gone from reading the Wall Street Journal to USA Today. So much has been removed and shortened. So much less text. So much more white space.

She much prefers the old magnetic folder to the new blue envelope. She can get more crammed into the former than the latter, which essentially has no more room to put anything else into it. (Struggled to take the blue envelope out of the initial envelope, it was crammed in so tight to barely fit!)

AND there are just 2 luggage tags apiece versus the old 4! They did make these fancier, with solid plastic and a plastic "string", but that hardly matters since the old ones worked fine. Though the "Instructions" have picture "a" and "b" but neither "a" nor "b" is mentioned in the text of the Instructions. (Poor technical writing.)

What else is now missing?

- No itinerary information, the old p. 3 that gave the name of the cruise and the itinerary information.

- No "Preliminary Cruise Vacation Summary", the old p. 4, that had information on us, the ship and embarkation/disembarkation ports.

- No "Guest Registration Form", the old p. 5, showing all the information that had on us as guests, including emergency contacts.

- No "Oceania Club" information, the old p. 6

- No detailed information on our specific cabin and cabin type, the old pages 18-19, which also located the cabin by coloring it in red on the deck plan shown at the bottom of p. 18. So now missing simple information on things like gratuities, electrical outlets, laundry, CURRENTS and more.

- No detailed information on either "The Finest Cuisine at Sea" or the various dining options. Removed 4 pages tied to dining! Old pages 23-26.

- No information on "Beverage Packages", the old p. 27.

- No information on "Your...Enrichment Activities" (the guest lecturer), the old p. 28.

- NO TICKET CONTRACT. Removed completely. Old pages 30-37.

NOTE: I saw recently where someone on an O thread said Sirena has unique restrooms on the starboard side Deck 10 just outside of Horizons. Not shown on the Deck Plans. I'll have to check for myself. The Smoking Area on the port side isn't marked either, nor is the one by the pool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Fascinating to see how disappointed my wife was yesterday when we received our cruise packet 40 days out for our upcoming London to Stockholm cruise on Sirena, starting Aug 28th. "Disappointed" is an understatement. Do take into mind, she likes saving these for scrapbooking.

Comparing the OLD 11/2022 Sirena cruise packet to the NEW 8/2024 Sirena cruise packet...

There is just nothing personal or cruise-specific in the new "Welcome Aboard" booklet. A shorter generic presentation of Sirena that they could mail to any prospective new customer. No information about the cruise or the ports, either. She misses just looking at the front page of the old "Cruise Vacation Guide" that has the name of the cruise, the dates, embarkation and disembarkation ports, and some image "related" to the cruise.

Feels like I've gone from reading the Wall Street Journal to USA Today. So much has been removed and shortened. So much less text. So much more white space.

She much prefers the old magnetic folder to the new blue envelope. She can get more crammed into the former than the latter, which essentially has no more room to put anything else into it. (Struggled to take the blue envelope out of the initial envelope, it was crammed in so tight to barely fit!)

AND there are just 2 luggage tags apiece versus the old 4! They did make these fancier, with solid plastic and a plastic "string", but that hardly matters since the old ones worked fine. Though the "Instructions" have picture "a" and "b" but neither "a" nor "b" is mentioned in the text of the Instructions. (Poor technical writing.)

What else is now missing?

- No itinerary information, the old p. 3 that gave the name of the cruise and the itinerary information.

- No "Preliminary Cruise Vacation Summary", the old p. 4, that had information on us, the ship and embarkation/disembarkation ports.

- No "Guest Registration Form", the old p. 5, showing all the information that had on us as guests, including emergency contacts.

- No "Oceania Club" information, the old p. 6

- No detailed information on our specific cabin and cabin type, the old pages 18-19, which also located the cabin by coloring it in red on the deck plan shown at the bottom of p. 18. So now missing simple information on things like gratuities, electrical outlets, laundry, CURRENTS and more.

- No detailed information on either "The Finest Cuisine at Sea" or the various dining options. Removed 4 pages tied to dining! Old pages 23-26.

- No information on "Beverage Packages", the old p. 27.

- No information on "Your...Enrichment Activities" (the guest lecturer), the old p. 28.

- NO TICKET CONTRACT. Removed completely. Old pages 30-37.

NOTE: I saw recently where someone on an O thread said Sirena has unique restrooms on the starboard side Deck 10 just outside of Horizons. Not shown on the Deck Plans. I'll have to check for myself. The Smoking Area on the port side isn't marked either, nor is the one by the pool.

Old timers on O will also remember when the “Blue Book” also had the “thumbnail” pics and info about the senior officers on your cruise. 

BTW: The unique rest rooms (and the stage setup) in Horizons on Sirena are unchanged from the days when she was the Ocean Princess. Sirena is the only R ship with that layout. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

... BTW: The unique rest rooms (and the stage setup) in Horizons on Sirena are unchanged from the days when she was the Ocean Princess. Sirena is the only R ship with that layout. 

Weird how they won't put the restrooms into the Deck Plan for Deck 10. Nor will they do it for the 2 smoking areas. Dumb of them. Lazy. Two white boxes on Deck 10 with nothing in them, when important things are in them! Of course, they make sure to discuss Sirena being unique with Red Giner and Tuscan Steak.

And as a cost-cutting move, they've saved on IT/computer individualized printing & sorting & mailing costs, since this is now entirely generic, and can go to anyone and everyone going to be on or thinking about going on Sirena. BUT it is 44 pages long compared to the old one at 40. And the old one had more and better information. With all the white space, this new one could've been cut down to 30 pages easily. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

With all the white space, this new one could've been cut down to 30 pages easily.

Graphic designer needs firing. It's always the graphic designer's fault.  😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

In the UK we got nothing, nada, in 2022/3 it was all e-tickets.  I complained on my three cruises during that period and even said I would be happy to pay extra to have the documentation back!

So May this year we had the ‘new’ version and I really have to say it was better than nothing. I agree not up to the same standard as the old one but still had that bit of a ‘thrill’ when the envelope arrived in the mail. 

MEFlowa I have to say given how you complain about pricing you should be glad they are sending out a ‘revised’ version which will cost them … and… you…. less!!!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

... So May this year we had the ‘new’ version and I really have to say it was better than nothing. I agree not up to the same standard as the old one but still had that bit of a ‘thrill’ when the envelope arrived in the mail....

But look what is MISSING.

Who approved it when the stripped out material on Drink Packages, Electrical Outlets, Gratuities, the Laundry Room, and the Currents? Talk about useful information for someone who is going to be boarding soon. 

Maybe I'm the one person out,  I really just need the ticket for getting non the ship, plus luggage tags to get my luggage to my suite.  My the time I get the packet, I already know the stuff I need to know.  Just one opinion - nothing more.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

... I really just need the ticket for getting on the ship, plus luggage tags to get my luggage to my suite.  By the time I get the packet, I already know the stuff I need to know....

I certainly think that's true for someone who has already sailed on the same ship before. You'd think their computers would know that and they could send out a very small packet for your 2nd and more time on that ship.

4 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I certainly think that's true for someone who has already sailed on the same ship before. You'd think their computers would know that and they could send out a very small packet for your 2nd and more time on that ship.

I know what you're saying, but you can go online and print all the information you need about the ship and what it has to offer.  This includes your dining options, tour's and most activities, your itineraries.  Honestly I print out what I need and I'm good.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I know what you're saying, but you can go online and print all the information you need about the ship and what it has to offer.  This includes your dining options, tour's and most activities, your itineraries.  Honestly I print out what I need and I'm good.

I’m the same way.  The blue envelope we get now sure looks nice, and I do like the new plastic luggage tags, but I honestly don’t need any of it.  I print the boarding pass (1 piece of paper) and bring the luggage tags.  The rest is of no use.  

not too long ago I sent a friend, who we are trying to convince book O instead of the big ships, a pic of the blue envelope and the luggage tags to show him O even gives you a “premium” pre cruise info pack.  He replied back, “besides the tags, what on earth of value is there?”  I replied back with, “not one thing!”

I guess that was just a long winded way to say, I’m one of the people who don’t see any value in the “blue book”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I print out what I need and I'm good.

As do I.  We got the booklet for our 2017 cruise but not for the ones last year and this year. Havent missed the booklet - as you say, everything you need is online and can be printed as required. 

44 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

You must enjoy using your printer and buying ink. I don't.

Gotta love how they buried this on the bottom of p. 41, the 2nd to the last paragraph:

"GUEST TICKET CONTRACT / To view the Gues Ticket Contract, please visit https///www...."

I did appreciate having the contract printed for me an available, just in case.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Gotta love how they buried this on the bottom of p. 41, the 2nd to the last paragraph:

"GUEST TICKET CONTRACT / To view the Gues Ticket Contract, please visit https///www...."

Don't need to print anything, it's all right there on your phone or tablet.

Welcome to the 21st century!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, nuevowavo said:

Don't need to print anything, it's all right there on your phone or tablet.

Welcome to the 21st century!😉

Not printing things yourself would save ink and paper and thus be cost cutting.   Very appropriate for thread after thread saying the same thing 😜

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nuevowavo said:

... it's all right there on your phone or tablet....

When I'm on vacation my CP stays relatively unused. And no internet. Zip, zero, nada. Don't want to be bothered by what's back home or somewhere else in the world. For the "news" I read the daily CURRENTS. And my wife can dink around with her CP.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

How could you miss the beginning? WIFE! WIFE! WIFE!

"Fascinating to see how disappointed my wife was yesterday…..

Please don’t expect us to assume that you are a heterosexual couple, whereby referring to your “wife” means you are not the person who generally posts using this cruise critic handle. 
To the extent I pay any attention to a poster’s gender, I generally assume that the person using this handle is a female, knowing that might be an incorrect assumption on my part.
But when someone using this handle talks about their wife, that still does not tell me that it’s not the female that usually posts usually this handle. I don’t keep track of the gender of everybody’s spouse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

You do realize that available contract would cost you more than the ink, don’t you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Please don’t expect us to assume that you are a heterosexual couple, whereby referring to your “wife” means you are not the person who generally posts using this cruise critic handle. To the extent I pay any attention to a poster’s gender, I generally assume that the person using this handle is a female, knowing that might be an incorrect assumption on my part. But when someone using this handle talks about their wife, that still does not tell me that it’s not the female that usually posts usually this handle. I don’t keep track of the gender of everybody’s spouse. 

Wow, talk about the injection of PC ideology when the only POINT was that it was NOT me but someone else who raised the issue. When someone writes "my wife" or "my husband" or "my significant other" that means it is NOT them/me. So, the ISSUE, the disappointment, started with my wife. Who isn't me. It has nothing to do with the sex of an individual or issues tied to gender unless you're so obsessed with these issues that they cloud your worldview. The person responding wrote back as if I were the one disappointed. But I am NOT my wife.