Scooter in Balcony room on Liberty- will it fit in room and where can it be stored

I am considering booking a scooter  on Liberty. I never  used one  before and am in a "spacious" ocean balcony.  Does anyone know if I can store it in the room or if I have to, or if RCCL can store it for me overnights?  Thanks

4 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

Does anyone know if I can store it in the room or if I have to, or if RCCL can store it for me overnights?

Yes, it should fit in your cabin.

When we were on oasis  a couple of months ago I was trying to put it in our room and our steward told us to just leave it in the hallway and he would make sure it was taken to be charged overnight.

Not sure if it would happen on all the ships but he was a great, very helpful and kind steward.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, orla56 said:

When we were on oasis  a couple of months ago I was trying to put it in our room and our steward told us to just leave it in the hallway and he would make sure it was taken to be charged overnight.

Not sure if it would happen on all the ships but he was a great, very helpful and kind steward.

That depends on the hotel director. Just remember you can't leave it unattended in the hallway, it is a safety violation and well as blocking other scooters from getting thru. 

PS. If you want to practice  just go to your local Walmart and use theirs.

13 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I am considering booking a scooter  on Liberty. I never  used one  before and am in a "spacious" ocean balcony.  Does anyone know if I can store it in the room or if I have to, or if RCCL can store it for me overnights?  Thanks

We have a Pride GoGo Sport 3-wheel that we bring on cruises. We've had no issue storing it in a regular balcony cabin. We make sure to select a cabin configuration where the sofa is near the bathroom. We park the scooter next to the sofa leaving enough room to get around the cabin. If the bed is near the bathroom there may not be enough room to maneuver the scooter around the foot of the bed to the balcony side of the cabin.

If you have one of larger scooters it may not fit through the doorway. In that case you may need an accessible cabin with a wider door.

Check out scooter rentals on website specialneedsatsea.com. their standard scooter will fit fine thru the door.  I believe 21 inches is the average door width.

The challenge will be opening the door, best to have someone with you or get a door stopper to hold door open while you come and go On the scooter.

And pick a cabin with the bed by the balcony not the bathroom.

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

That depends on the hotel director. Just remember you can't leave it unattended in the hallway, it is a safety violation and well as blocking other scooters from getting thru. 

PS. If you want to practice  just go to your local Walmart and use theirs.

We were on Liberty in May and there were scooters and carriages and wagons left in the cabin corridor constantly.  Between all that stuff and the stewards carts, it was an obstacle course. The huge wagon could have been folded to take up less space but it was open the whole cruise and was used to store some stuff out in the corridor.

We felt the entrance to the cabin was one of the smallest we have had on any ship, just the width of the door until you got past the bathroom door.  Getting a scooter into the cabin will be a challenge.

That's why we book an accessible cabin as soon as new batches are released. When people leave their carriage and wagons and whatever else in the way, we just call security. I used to knock on the offenders door, but too many times they refused to do anything.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

Thanks to all for the advice. Luckily  bed is near the balcony. 

Excellent having the bed near balcony will make it much easier to turn the scooter around near the sofa (you can ask the room steward to remove the small round coffee table).   

My DH had back issues a cruise last year and we rented a scooter.    Waiting for an elevator that has room for a scooter can be an obstacle.    I recommend leaving for dining at least 15 minutes early since the elevator wait can be long especially during dinner time.   

The scooter would be delivered to your cabin and they have wheelchair assistance at the port to help you board and disembark.   We usually board closer to 1 pm when cabins are usually ready.   

During your cruise stop by guest services and ask where you can meet for assistance off the ship and usually can leave the scooter there (does not have to be left in cabin as some say).   

Room steward may offer for you to leave the scooter in the hallway at night time with the key in and they will pick up sometime around midnight and bring it back around 5 am all charged up.  At least this is what they did for my DH.   One night we had a knock on the door around 1 am as he forgot to leave the key in it.   

Edited by Sunshine3601