Greece - celebrity infinity vs virgin

Hi all,

For a couple in their 60s (diamond on rcl), we are debating a first time cruise to cruise on either celebrity infinity vs virgin resilient lady.

We are excited to try a new line, whether celebrity or virgin.

We are looking for a refined experience that’s still fun with good entertainment, live music and food.

Both ships have amazing 10 night itineraries next year to Greece.

For the infinity - we are concerned that it may be a dated ship based on pictures we’ve seen and its age.  It seems like a lot went untouched during its recent drydock.  We also unsure what to expect entertainment wise.  Is there food live music,  Nightly shows including variety entertainers such as comedians (in addition to the production shows)?

Virgin seems like it could be a fun and different experience with awesome entertainment and dining.  It is more expensive than a cruise on the infinity when comparing in and accounting evenly for wifi, tips, etc.  But we aren’t sure if it may be too hip and dj centric focused.

If both cruises were in April we may try virgin, but with Virgin being late May and us wanting to avoid 80-90 degree weather, we are leaning Infinity in April.

Has anyone been on both ships or on both lines?  Is the infinity still a nice and good ship with good food and entertainment?

Thank you

38 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

For a couple in their 60s (diamond on rcl), we are debating a first time cruise to cruise on either celebrity infinity vs virgin resilient lady.

We are looking for a refined experience that’s still fun with good entertainment, live music and food.

For the infinity - we are concerned that it may be a dated ship based on pictures we’ve seen and its age.  It seems like a lot went untouched during its recent drydock.  We also unsure what to expect entertainment wise.  Is there food live music,  Nightly shows including variety entertainers such as comedians (in addition to the production shows)?

Virgin seems like it could be a fun and different experience with awesome entertainment and dining.  It is more expensive than a cruise on the infinity when comparing in and accounting evenly for wifi, tips, etc.  But we aren’t sure if it may be too hip and dj centric focused.

If both cruises were in April we may try virgin, but with Virgin being late May and us wanting to avoid 80-90 degree weather, we are leaning Infinity in April.

Has anyone been on both ships or on both lines?  Is the infinity still a nice and good ship with good food and entertainment?

Thank you

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

I am in my 60's and want to try  Virgin Voyages  just because from what I have been reading it is a totally different experience from what I have experienced on Royal, Celebrity and Princess. It seems more relaxed and informal. There is no MDR and All specialty restaurants are included.  The entertainment is more progressive with a Drag Queen performance. It's adults only so the comedians are more colorful.  With that said, based on the above statement wanting a refined experience I would recommend  Celebrity. I would suggest that you go over the the Virgin Voyage page and decide for yourself.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 12:06 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I am in my 60's and want to try  Virgin Voyages  just because from what I have been reading it is a totally different experience from what I have experienced on Royal, Celebrity and Princess. It seems more relaxed and informal. There is no MDR and All specialty restaurants are included.  The entertainment is more progressive with a Drag Queen performance. It's adults only so the comedians are more colorful.  With that said, based on the above statement wanting a refined experience I would recommend  Celebrity. I would suggest that you go over the the Virgin Voyage page and decide for yourself.

I agree. We have not done Virgin ourselves mainly because our TA and other friends tried it and didn't like it.  It's geared towards a younger crowd we were told, among other things. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 7:20 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Thank you

think most RCI's will find X's relaxed luxury good so why not try the BOLD option?  The short of it, VV has better food, a higher selection of food, and food venues open for more hours.  There's more and better entertainment on VV.  I'd recommend doing a VV first before booking an X sailing

• 2 months later...

We did the Turkey & Greece cruise several years ago (2013 on the Constellation), and quite simply, it was ALL ABOUT the PORTS.  While I do enjoy the food, amenities, and entertainment that ships have to offer -especially sea days - for that particular itinerary, we were going hard in port, and while we enjoyed some of the stuff on the ship and ate lovely meals in the MDR, I honestly would only be able to bring the on-board ship stuff back to memory by browsing through my photos. Otherwise, ALL my memories of the trip are related to the ports we enjoyed (loved, actually).  

So, maybe, taking a Virgin Greece cruise would be a good "toe in the water" as folks could get the flavor of it without being "all in" on it.  You'd see enough of the good/bad, but not be totally immersed in it if it didn't fit, and would have a reason to go back if it did. 

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

Nothing about the Virgin experience would appeal to us, including the  staterooms shown in  past reviews..

True Infinity is an  older. ship...but possibly not a big factor as the ports will be the highlights!

• Like 4

Yes  I recall. that our last few cruises on Infinity pre E Class ships  showed it going down hill..We had  AC failures. sewage issues on our hallway.. mildew in bathroom.

Guess maybe OP might find another choice for Greece othet than Infinity or Virgin..

I’ve been on two Med cruises on VV and really enjoyed both. The food is great. Entertainment is subjective IMO, I loved some shows and will never get my 45 minutes back with others. IMO Celebrity is the same as far as entertainment.  As far as other passengers on VV there is everything and anything all in a good way.  18yo+ is great, everyone is so relaxed and friendly. I would personally avoid any 20+ year old ship on any line. 

I’m 47 and have been on 12 Celebrity cruises. I did my first Virgin cruise last summer. As much as I enjoyed Virgin, if you’re looking for a refined experience, Virgin is not it. It’s loud and colorful and fun. The rooms are great. The food, overall, is solid. The shows were amazing! But on our Med cruise we found it to be a lot of 20-something UK Essex-types. Lots of posing at the pool, loud evening activities. On the other hand, the Infinity is a terrible introduction to Celebrity. It’s so old and hasn’t been modernized. But Celebrity is definitely more refined and upscale than Virgin. It’s really a toss-up if these are your two options.

We were on the first Infinity cruise after it was out of service for Covid (the last Celebrity ship in their fleet to set sail after Covid) and the ship was in very poor shape.   Hopefully the ship is in better shape today but we will never sail on it again and have stuck to the E class ships (plus we do Oceania for an “upgraded” experience though that is obviously at a different price point). 

Virgin is definitely a different experience.  No MDR, you need to make reservations for the restaurants.  The menus do not change during the cruise.  It’s heavy on vegan/vegetarian.  Lots of sushi.  There is a learning curve.  My five day cruise was not long enough,  but then I had personal issues at home that colored my experience.  The shows are not typical cruise shows.  There was lots of trivia and other games and activities.  I would give it another try on a cruise longer than 5 days…when I get rid of my stress.  By the way, I’m 80.  Not a foodie.  EM