Bed sizes in veranda cabins.

In a Veranda (category V) HAL lists the bed as a Queen size.  In the US, a Queen size bed is usually 60 inches (152 cm).  But the beds in Veranda cabins are not a single Queen, they are two Twin size beds pushed together and secured.  Then a mattress cover and normal sheets are covering it.  You can feel the slight indentation where the two beds come together.  If a regular Twin size bed is 35 inches (89 cm) wide, then 2 of them fastened together would be 70 inches, (177 cm), and that is only 6 inches (15 cm) narrower than a king size bed, and a full 10 inches (25 cm) wider than a Queen size.

Has anyone ever measured a Veranda cabin bed width?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The "twins" that are put together in the cabin are NOT standard "twin" size beds.  They are narrower.  They are 1/2 the size of a standard queen.  So, when the beds are together, you have a queen size bed in your cabin.  Then you separate them, you have two beds that are each a bit SMALLER than a regular twin size.  I've never measured them, but I'm estimating each "twin" in the cabin is around 30 inches (or even slightly less)

The above goes for all cabins except Neptune and Pinnacle.  In Neptune and Pinnacle suites, however, the bed is King size (two actual standard twins)

Edited by Moriah

We have never had a queen bed on a cruise- we also have one at home and the cruise beds are definitely wider by quite a bit. We have always had verandah or higher cabins and the beds are the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebsxm said:

In a Veranda (category V) HAL lists the bed as a Queen size.  In the US, a Queen size bed is usually 60 inches (152 cm).  But the beds in Veranda cabins are not a single Queen, they are two Twin size beds pushed together and secured.  Then a mattress cover and normal sheets are covering it.  You can feel the slight indentation where the two beds come together.  If a regular Twin size bed is 35 inches (89 cm) wide, then 2 of them fastened together would be 70 inches, (177 cm), and that is only 6 inches (15 cm) narrower than a king size bed, and a full 10 inches (25 cm) wider than a Queen size.

Has anyone ever measured a Veranda cabin bed width?

30 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I haven't measured them, but I'll bet that Pete @The-Inside-Cabin has!

I sleep on a queen size at home and the HAL veranda cabin beds "feel" a little wider to me.

~Nancy

Here is the size of the bed in a Verandah cabin on the Koningsdam

68 x 76

BedStorage.thumb.jpg.f8c9d0ef78e2c7746991d912783c35fe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is the size of the bed in a Verandah cabin on the Koningsdam

68 x 76

BedStorage.thumb.jpg.f8c9d0ef78e2c7746991d912783c35fe.jpg

Pete is awsome.....he has measured every square inch of his cabins, I think!  PLUS temperatures in the refrigerators!

Thank you, Pete, for all the facts!  😁

~Nancy

• Like 2

Thanks Pete.  That agrees with what I have experienced over many years of HAL beds, both Neptune king size and Veranda "Queens".  The Queen size just seems bigger than a shore side Queen.  And you have proved it, by 8 inches.

A standard American queen is 60" wide by 80" long. The ship "queens" are wider by 8" and shorter by 4" (necessary to navigate the cabin).  Overall, they feel spacious and comfortable.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

We have never had a queen bed on a cruise- we also have one at home and the cruise beds are definitely wider by quite a bit. We have always had verandah or higher cabins and the beds are the same.

We have a California King at home which is 4 inches narrower than a King, I think the verandah beds on HAL are more the size of the California King. King is 76" wide, California King is 72: wide.

22 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We have a California King at home which is 4 inches narrower than a King, I think the verandah beds on HAL are more the size of the California King. King is 76" wide, California King is 72: wide.

I shudder to ask if there's a Texas King.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I shudder to ask if there's a Texas King.

There is. But as with most things Texan (80 x 84 inches), they pale in comparison to Alaska (108 x 108 inches).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/23/2024 at 9:07 AM, mikebsxm said:

Thanks Pete.  That agrees with what I have experienced over many years of HAL beds, both Neptune king size and Veranda "Queens".  The Queen size just seems bigger than a shore side Queen.  And you have proved it, by 8 inches.

On 7/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, boards said:

What does it matter?

I'm not sure it does, but I think this is a question I would defer to my wife......

On 7/23/2024 at 2:13 PM, terrydtx said:

Cal King is 72” wide by 84”long. So the HAL beds are smaller in both dimensions (68wide x 76long). And they are wider but shorter than a Queen (60”wide x 80”long).

Years ago, DH and I decided to purchase Eastern King vs CA King as it is 80”wide by 76”long. We figured we were more likely to grow wider than taller 😆

For us, we lose 12” in width when on a HAL ship vs home, but the length is the same. We find HAL beds just roomy enough for us, while we bump into each other frequently in a regular Queen.