Freestyle Screens

The *.Away/+ class ships, including the BA, GA, Escape all had them for a while, along with the older mid-sized Dawn/Jewel class ships.  Prima has oversized HD screen near all the elevators except, they either didn't work or someone turned off the functionality while we're on our 2 TA ... left a comment with the GM on the 2nd crossing and magically, restored ... but, didn't see one near the (larger) Hudson MDR ... nothing outside/near any of the specialty restaurants. 

Less is "more" perhaps, I dunno. 

• Haha 1

Thanks mking. Freestyle seemed to work on "pride" without them.

I wonder how they will replace 'Pride'?  I guess she has ten years or so, left.

I hear that she is there most profitable ship.

28 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

... Freestyle seemed to work on "pride" without them ... I guess she has ten years or so, left.

Freestyle not working so well on the new Prima ships, or maybe it's b/c the old scheme isn't working.  We sailed the POA in 2009 and given all the changes & asking fares, not sure if we would see the Pride. 

Found the status screens from both Prima TA, pretty sure I posted them on the live TA trip report ... FWIW, here they are 

Collage_2024-07-22_21_52_55.thumb.jpg.ed2fc0f7cea06f02001a6f3e8f3ce0b9.jpgCollage_2024-07-22_21_53_42.thumb.jpg.83e758f64d189b78f105bb1765a4bfe2.jpg

11 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Thanks mking. Freestyle seemed to work on "pride" without them.

I wonder how they will replace 'Pride'?  I guess she has ten years or so, left.

I hear that she is there most profitable ship.

They can't replace Pride. It has a special exemption to the "built in USA" rule to be US flagged. 

23 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

They can't replace Pride. It has a special exemption to the "built in USA" rule to be US flagged. 

I know.  Well, they will have to do something in the next decade!

2 hours ago, London-Calling said:

The fares and excursion prices are eye-watering!

Being frugal travelers, POA's current rack (balcony) fares aren't eye-watering, they are - to us, really eye-popping.   Sun's 15 days itinerary out of Vancouver this Fall is less, much less on a comparative basis ... granted it's a smaller & somewhat "older" ship in the similar class - almost the same ports among the islands, serving as the floating hotel (which was basically what we did then) plus DIY touring, rented a minivan at each of the island including 2 overnights.  Looking back, that was a steal, a bargain.  Too bad, our Fall schedule is full and then gotta renew my passport in time to resume travel by early 2025 again.  

Should I sit down firmly and brace myself before looking at shorex prices ... I know hotel prices are crazy high, we have extended relatives in HNL.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Do NCL ships still have video display screens charting how busy the various restaurants are?

There ships used to.

Yes. But if you have a specific question, just use the touch screen kiosks to pull of the restaurant of your choice and see what's available. 

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Should I sit down firmly and brace myself before looking at shorex prices ... I know hotel prices are crazy high, we have extended relatives in HNL.  

Everything Hawaiian is VERY expensive. POA is no different.

Excursions: I would suggest you wait until a Doctor is present in case the shock is too much for you!

Independent operators offer some similar excursions to POA's but for half the price. Check out "Viator".  Alternatively, hire a car.

• Haha 1

i think those screens showed the availability of reservations, and not how busy they are. You can always go to the reception stand and ask about the chances of getting in, the earlier the better.