Carnival Corporation Orders Three Additional Ships for Carnival Cruise Line, Introducing a New Class of Ships

2 hours ago, TeresaJ said:

While the new ships sound cool and amazing, how about some new and/or interesting ports for these new ships. Almost every itinerary on Mardi Gras and Celebration go to Amber Cove, San Juan, and Nassau and the occasional St Thomas or Western itinerary. How about Southern itineraries or Eastern with different ports. Same old, same old gets redundant and boring.  I want to book the Mardi Gras again or try the Celebration, but the itineraries are just not that enticing.

I would tend to agree that it tends to go to PC, Miami, Galveston (OK and Long Beach) and take on the tried and true  (what you call boring ports).  Partly, as was mentioned, because that s where the money is and partly because. well, the is what they always did.  I expect with 5 new ships you may see something more,,,,out of the ordinary.  As example, one might go down under (probably not what you wanted, but that is WAY different).  I would be ecstatic that it freed up other ships for things totally out side of the comfort box, bordering on exotic (at least for Carnival).  Another might be a new ship (or two) dedicated to shorter cruises (used to be used for the old maids before being sent to Turkey for scrap).  We will see.

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We will see when Carnival gives the details.  Until then, it is nothing more than speculation.

They have said 3,000+ rooms.

So at a minimum - we're talking 10% more staterooms than an Oasis class that holds 6,700.

4 minutes ago, aborgman said:

They have said 3,000+ rooms.

So at a minimum - we're talking 10% more staterooms than an Oasis class that holds 6,700.

I am not doubting it is more, the question is how much more.  Until we know, we are just guessing.

51 minutes ago, Aoumd said:

Finally, I am curious if the delivery of these three ships will just be used for growth, or for replacement of any of Carnival's ships.  I don't know if these will be the ships that retire the Paradise, Elation and Spirit Class (smaller ships are needed for port bridge clearences at Tampa, Jacksonville, Baltimore, etc.), I'm thinking more like the Sunrise/Sunshine/Radiance and/or some Conquest-type ships.

There certainly will be some retirements by 2033. The height restricted ports (Baltimore, Jacksonville, part of Sydney Tampa) should be able to hang on between the four Spirit class ships, Luminosa, and the two P&O ships. This may require a different deployment to Alaska given that some of those ships are currently deployed to Alaska.

Sunshine class is probably gone by 2033 as Radiance would be 33, Sunrise 34, and Sunshine 37.

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am not doubting it is more, the question is how much more.  Until we know, we are just guessing.

Carnival has said almost 8,000 at full capacity..

"With more than 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the company's global fleet and will carry almost 8,000 passengers each at full capacity."

32 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Carnival has said almost 8,000 at full capacity..

"With more than 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the company's global fleet and will carry almost 8,000 passengers each at full capacity."

I read it.  I have no doubt they were not lying.  My point was until they say what that number is, then it is all guessing.

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

I read it.  I have no doubt they were not lying.  My point was until they say what that number is, then it is all guessing.

No, believing the number that Carnival has announced is not "guessing".

Nor is estimating based on ship volume and number of staterooms "guessing".

If it is based on any evidence, it isn't a guess, it's an estimate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There certainly will be some retirements by 2033. The height restricted ports (Baltimore, Jacksonville, part of Sydney Tampa) should be able to hang on between the four Spirit class ships, Luminosa, and the two P&O ships. This may require a different deployment to Alaska given that some of those ships are currently deployed to Alaska.

Sunshine class is probably gone by 2033 as Radiance would be 33, Sunrise 34, and Sunshine 37.

Nine years is almost a lifetime in cruise ships terms.  Lots can happen, 6 years ago, who would have thought that Costa and P&O ships would be sailing under the Carnival flag?  One thing is perfectly clear, Carnival Corporation puts CCL at the top of their priorities.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Riles34 said:

I don't know if I like this game the cruising industry is playing these days. Bigger and bigger with every order and the same ports every week due to the size of the ships. 8,000 people at full occupancy seems a bit rough, but we shall see!

The ship is the destination for these new ships. The ports of call are not as important to the cruise line or the guests. Otherwise they wouldn't be so big with roller coasters, a dozen pools, etc.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Did they give a number?  no.  Until they publish what it is (the actual number), it is nothing except marketing spiel.  You can label it however you want,  That is my estimate, wait guess.... oh, we do not know until they tell us.   I will move on now.

Edited by jimbo5544

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The ship is the destination for these new ships. The ports of call are not as important to the cruise line or the guests. Otherwise they wouldn't be so big with roller coasters, a dozen pools, etc.

Yep. I think what the cruise lines are learning is that they can get greater penetration into the general public if they are simply viewed as an alternative to other warm weather 7 day vacation options. They are competing for the same folks that might otherwise consider a Mexican AI or the Gulf Coast/East Coast beaches or an Orlando theme park trip.

No doubt the 'world traveler' market will still be served. But that's a niche industry compared the 'summer vaca' crowd. What I'm really hoping is that the well seasoned segment of Carnival's fleet can still be profitable doing Journeys, Europe, etc.  I kind of think it can. Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

We will see when Carnival gives the details.  Until then, it is nothing more than speculation.

This is true. Especially with a new class that hasn't been designed.

17 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Ships and private ports like Celebration Key. The other ports are also very important, as there are very few that can deal with ginormous ships and this seriously limits itineraries.

7 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I never said the economics work or don't work, But they have to work in some way if the line is keeping the spirit class and the paradise/eleation around and serving the smaller markets. Such as Tampa/Jacksonville and Mobile. 

The economics are that those ships are long since paid for. The economics of building a Spirit class ship in today's dollars don't work so well. 

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

It's funny that Carnival has had a practice of putting many more people into a similar sized ship than their main competitor has (Royal Caribbean), but some people choose to think that this time will be different. When RCI brought out the ground-breaking Voyager of the Seas 25 years ago, who would have thought a ship would carry 3100 in double occupancy. Years later, Carnival brings out their Vista class, a similar sized ship, that carries 1000 more in D.O. (and many more than that in full capacity). Even over 20 years ago with the Grand Princess class and the Carnival Conquest class, similar sized ships, Carnival puts hundreds more people on them. When Carnival says "almost 8000", not sure why some people choose to not believe them. 

When someone above said they hope Carnival doesn't put the big open space in the middle of the ship like Royal does, they can be sure they won't. Because they will be putting cabin space there instead. It's what Carnival does. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, toad455 said:

Carnival will try and hold on to the 5 Spirit class ships as long as possible. Otherwise, they won't be able to sail out of Mobile, Jacksonville, Tampa and Baltimore. By 2029, the Elation and Paradise will be gone.

I'm curious why Carnival Corp elected to sell a Spirit class ship to Margarittaville (Costa Atlantica). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DanJ said:

It's funny that Carnival has had a practice of putting many more people into a similar sized ship than their main competitor has (Royal Caribbean), but some people choose to think that this time will be different. When RCI brought out the ground-breaking Voyager of the Seas 25 years ago, who would have thought a ship would carry 3100 in double occupancy. Years later, Carnival brings out their Vista class, a similar sized ship, that carries 1000 more in D.O. (and many more than that in full capacity). Even over 20 years ago with the Grand Princess class and the Carnival Conquest class, similar sized ships, Carnival puts hundreds more people on them. When Carnival says "almost 8000", not sure why some people choose to not believe them. 

When someone above said they hope Carnival doesn't put the big open space in the middle of the ship like Royal does, they can be sure they won't. Because they will be putting cabin space there instead. It's what Carnival does. 

Have you been on Vista?

6 minutes ago, DanJ said:

I'm curious why Carnival Corp elected to sell a Spirit class ship to Margarittaville (Costa Atlantica). 

Because the price was right.  It happens all the time.  By your logo, you seem to be a Princess fan, have thy sold older ships?   

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

No doubt the 'world traveler' market will still be served. But that's a niche industry compared the 'summer vaca' crowd. What I'm really hoping is that the well seasoned segment of Carnival's fleet can still be profitable doing Journeys, Europe, etc.  I kind of think it can. Time will tell.

From your lips......

29 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Why did Royal sell Azamara?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because the price was right.  It happens all the time.  By your logo, you seem to be a Princess fan, have thy sold older ships?   

Thank you for you curiosity on my logo, it's been my logo for almost 20 years, never cared enough to look for another. I have sailed 4 different lines, pluses and minuses of them all. Yes, of course all lines have sold ships. I just wonder why, given the popularity and utility of a Spirit class ship that Carnival would part with one, that's all. 

3 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Thank you for you curiosity on my logo, it's been my logo for almost 20 years, never cared enough to look for another. I have sailed 4 different lines, pluses and minuses of them all. Yes, of course all lines have sold ships. I just wonder why, given the popularity and utility of a Spirit class ship that Carnival would part with one, that's all. 

You should ask them, but my guess would be the price, 65 million.  It was a great deal.

• Thanks 1