Just booked

2 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

I’m hoping for less that so we can save money for a couple excursions in Sydney.

You'll be able to spend much less than that. Also there is no need for tipping so your money will go 20% further.

• Like 1

There is no Tipping in NZ or Australia, so you won't have to worry about that

We stayed at what I believe is now called 'Sydney Harbour Hotel' - it's literally across the street from the cruise terminal.... it was so great waking up in one morning in March 2018 looking out the hotel window seeing our cruise ship docked!

it was like a 3 minute walk downhill to the cruise terminal

Some of the things we did on our 2 trips to Sydney were:-

Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly

Ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay

Bondi Beach

Pitt Street Mall - if you like shopping (sadly my wife does!)

Opera house and Botanic Gardens

let us know what the cruise itinerary for NZ is and we can give you some advice based on what ports the cruise stops at

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

For what it is worth we have booked the Sebel Quay West Suites. We felt the location suited our needs, even though we will not be boarding our cruise in Sydney.

@RosieCanberra Thanks for the great list of things to do, even though we are fortunate to be meeting CC friends in Sydney, we will have plenty of time on our own to explore whatever we can see in 3 short days (plus a port stop on our cruise).

@pooh/tiggerHave a great time planning your adventure.

Quay West is indeed convenient, and the top floor pool area offers sensational views of the harbour. There is an active walk needed to get up to the suites from George St. Even though the address is Gloucester St, it is easier access from the carpark/lift on the street below - Harrington St.

Screenshot_26-7-2024_63757_www.google_com_au.thumb.jpeg.f8d7a44ddbcfc0ce9ed97189fb5ad6de.jpeg

Quay West is the tower on the right. Gloucester street runs across above the stairs at the top. Hang a right at the tree half way up to access via the carpark lift.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

There is no Tipping in NZ or Australia, so you won't have to worry about that

We stayed at what I believe is now called 'Sydney Harbour Hotel' - it's literally across the street from the cruise terminal.... it was so great waking up in one morning in March 2018 looking out the hotel window seeing our cruise ship docked!

it was like a 3 minute walk downhill to the cruise terminal

Some of the things we did on our 2 trips to Sydney were:-

Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly

Ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay

Bondi Beach

Pitt Street Mall - if you like shopping (sadly my wife does!)

Opera house and Botanic Gardens

let us know what the cruise itinerary for NZ is and we can give you some advice based on what ports the cruise stops at

Here you go Muffinx.

Wed, 02/18/26 Bay Of Islands, New Zealand
Water Shuttle Required
wheelchair Access Limited
7:00am to 5:00pm
Thu, 02/19/26 Tauranga, New Zealand 5:30am to 4:45pm
Fri, 02/20/26 Auckland, New Zealand 6:30am to 7:00pm
Sat, 02/21/26 At Sea  to 
Sun, 02/22/26 Wellington, New Zealand 8:00am to 6:00pm
Mon, 02/23/26 Christchurch (lyttelton), New Zealand 8:00am to 6:00pm
Tue, 02/24/26 Dunedin (port Chalmers), New Zealand 11:45am to 8:00pm
Wed, 02/25/26 Fiordland National Park (scenic Cruising)
Scenic Cruising

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Here you go Muffinx.

Wed, 02/18/26 Bay Of Islands, New Zealand
Water Shuttle Required
wheelchair Access Limited
7:00am to 5:00pm
Thu, 02/19/26 Tauranga, New Zealand 5:30am to 4:45pm
Fri, 02/20/26 Auckland, New Zealand 6:30am to 7:00pm
Sat, 02/21/26 At Sea  to 
Sun, 02/22/26 Wellington, New Zealand 8:00am to 6:00pm
Mon, 02/23/26 Christchurch (lyttelton), New Zealand 8:00am to 6:00pm
Tue, 02/24/26 Dunedin (port Chalmers), New Zealand 11:45am to 8:00pm
Wed, 02/25/26 Fiordland National Park (scenic Cruising)
Scenic Cruising

that looks a good itinerary

Bay Of Islands - you will probably tender into the wharf at Waitangi

Waitangi is where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on 6 February 1840 (NZ's founding document so to speak), you can walk through the treaty grounds (at a cost) but the cruise shuttle will probably take you into the town of Paihia. There's not a lot to do at Paihia itself but you can take the ferry from Paihia to Russell, which is a nice little place on the other side of the harbour. there's cafe's / restaurants there and a lovely Pub that I think is NZ's oldest pub

Tauranga - not a huge amount of things to do there, but they do have some nice beaches (Mt Manganui / Papamoa) but from Tauranga you can go to Rotorua (Geothermal capital of NZ) or go to Hobbiton in Matamata (about an hour away)

Auckand - this is a big city and where I live and there's a number of things you can do

Go up the Sky Tower (tallest building in NZ), take the ferry to Rangitoto Island (extinct volcano), take the ferry to Waiheke Island and do a wine tour or an Island Explorer tour

or you can do the hop on hop off bus in Auckland, go to Kelly Tarltons underwater Aquarium.

You can also bungee jump off the harbour bridge or take the ferry to Devonport on the North Shore - it's a lovely place

Wellington is our capital city - you could visit the Weta Workshops, take the ferry across to Eastborne, there's wildlife sanctuary in Wellington too called Zealandia that's supposed to be very good, or our national museum 'Te Papa'

Christchurch -  you could take a shuttle bus to Akaroa, a lovely town on banks peninsula, or take a trip up the Christchurch gondola. Lyttleton itself (where the ferry docks) is a nice place with an arty vibe, there are also many award winning wineries about 40 mins north of Christchurch 

Dunedin - it's been ages since we've been there, but you can walk up the worlds steepest street - Baldwin Street, or you can take a trip to the Otago peninsula to see the Albatross  colony 

I've not been to Fiordland National Park, but I believe the views are stunning 

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Muffinz

At Bay of Islands things are very weather dependent, which is why it can be tricky to book an excursion ahead of time. If the weather is good I'd suggest a trip out to "Hole in the Wall", which is a natural tunnel through an island in the south of the Bay. If it's calm enough the boat will take you through the tunnel. You can book in Paihea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pooh/tigger said:

Will we need a heavy jacket in Feb? 

You won't need a heavy jacket, just a light jacket and layers. On your itinerary you won't go into the Fiordland Nat Park early in the morning. By the time you get there the day will/should be warming up somewhat, but it can still be cool.

If your cabin is on the starboard side, you will have lovely views of the coastline and mountains (probably with patches of snow) after you leave the first Sound (fiord) and before you get to Milford Sound.

I will add a comment about Wellington - I feel a visit to the Te Papa Museum is a MUST. It is superb and, even better, it is free.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

At Bay of Islands things are very weather dependent, which is why it can be tricky to book an excursion ahead of time. If the weather is good I'd suggest a trip out to "Hole in the Wall", which is a natural tunnel through an island in the south of the Bay. If it's calm enough the boat will take you through the tunnel. You can book in Paihea.

just a minor correction - it's 'hole in the rock' and the boat goes from Paihia 

I've not done it but I hear it's very good

Edited by Muffinz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Wellington also has the tram/ trolley to the top of the hill with a walk back down via the Botanical Gardens.

Or avoid the steep walk down the back of the hill by taking the tram back down and walking around to the Rose Garden upon level ground.

Another small addition, from Paihia you can get the ferry across to Russell, a little picturesque historic township (first European settlement in NZ). If you have average fitness you can walk up Flagstaff Hill for stunning views and photo opportunities of the Bay of Islands and also see the flagstaff, the originals of which were famously frequently chopped down in protest by Maoris. In the township there's a very picturesque little white church, the oldest in NZ, still bearing musket holes, one complete with it's bullet, in the weather boards, from a conflict with Maoris.

I also second Te Papa Museum in Wellington as a must, mentioned above by @Aus Traveller

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

not in NZ or Australia at that time of the year...

It depends on your heat/cold tolerance.

I find New Zealand, especially  the South Island freezing all year round! 🤣

Same with Tasmania - there's  no such thing as summer there.

Obviously I am a Queenslander. But I find Brisbane too cold this time of year too! (Originally  from much further North!)

I had a friend from Canada tell me that 25°C was boiling hot 🥵 They were in shorts and singlet while I was rugged up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

It depends on your heat/cold tolerance.

I find New Zealand, especially  the South Island freezing all year round! 🤣

Same with Tasmania - there's  no such thing as summer there.

Obviously I am a Queenslander. But I find Brisbane too cold this time of year too! (Originally  from much further North!)

I had a friend from Canada tell me that 25°C was boiling hot 🥵 They were in shorts and singlet while I was rugged up! 

Too true re heat/cold tolerance, I wrote to my sister in the UK last week and told her how cold it had been. I didn't dare mention that it was 14 degrees, positively balmy for them!

I would suggest a lightweight cardigan and/or jacket (no padding) just in case. For most of NZ's North Island February can be very humid, so don't overdo clothing. It's the heat of our Summer so it may be cool in the lower South Island but it's by no means freezing.

As they say in San Francisco, and we among other cities have copied them, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes! Showers are not uncommon, but don't forget, it's Summer not Winter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

You'll be able to spend much less than that. Also there is no need for tipping so your money will go 20% further.

12 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Good to know. I haven't reached that chapter (tipping) of the Aus/NZ book. 😂😂

9 hours ago, Muffinz said:

There is no Tipping in NZ or Australia, so you won't have to worry about that…

Also taxes are generally included in the price. eg In the supermarket, the price on the shelf is the actual price you pay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Also taxes are generally included in the price. eg In the supermarket, the price on the shelf is the actual price you pay. 

The exception would be when pre-booking from the US. The hotel price is bound to show additional taxes to be added. The US is starting to go our way when it comes to displaying a price that includes taxes. A couple of states have legislated that way, and the cruise lines are are starting to adopt it across all states.

• Like 1

@pooh/tigger Congrats on planning your trip to Oz. We went last year for the first time. It FAR EXCEEDED our expectations. So much so, that we are right now planning a return visit. We only scratched the surface, and we did a lot. As for hotels, we stayed at the Sydney Boulevard. It is in the CBD so in the middle of lots of activity. We booked it directly with the hotel and the stay included a breakfast buffet which was excellent. Another great feature was the HoHo bus stop was literally out the front door. We bought the pass and used the HoHo bus as our taxi service. It worked out great because it stopped at so many places and then we took back to the hotel when we were ready. Enjoy your planning, that was one of the best parts.

• Like 5