How do people dress for dinner at main dining and specialty restaurants?

Hi, y'all.  This is my first time being on NCL, I am sailing in 9 days on the Viva through the Med.

I know NCL does not have formal nights and the dress code is not as strict as some other cruise ships, but as I am packing now, I kinda wanted to get an idea how people dress for dinner and such.

If I am going to the indulge food hall, the buffet or any of the casual dining areas, I guess as long as I am properly covered up, I should be OK, but I wasn't sure how fancy people get for specialty restaurants and main dining room dinners.

If people get fancy how fancy do people get?  And if people get casual in the main dining/specialty restaurants, what is the allowable range?  I am sure no shorts for men, no hats, etc?

Please give me some ideas and help!  I definitely want to look a little nicer for Le Bistro and stuff but not overdone, and some nights I want to take it easy but still presentable.

I searched through about 10 pages back and could not find much info, so if this was discussed in the past, I apologize for asking again! 

Appreciate y'all help!  Happy cruising!

Posted (edited)

The ship's dailies will give the specifics as to which restaurants are Smart Casual vs. Cruise Casual.

The website has...

What should I pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it's your call. That's the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special "Dress-Up or Not Night." It's the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship's Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

Shorts for men are fine in most restaurants as are t-shirts. If you want to dress up, you can and you won't be the only one. If you want to dress the bare minimum, you can and you won't be the only one. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The ship's dailies will give the specifics as to which restaurants are Smart Casual vs. Cruise Casual.

The website has...

What should I pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it's your call. That's the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special "Dress-Up or Not Night." It's the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship's Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear shorts in all our restaurants.

Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

Shorts for men are fine in most restaurants as are t-shirts. If you want to dress up, you can and you won't be the only one. If you want to dress the bare minimum, you can and you won't be the only one. 

This is SO helpful!  Thank you!!

30 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

nicer (as in clean, not really faded, no rips or tears) jeans and a top (that isn't a t-shirt) and tennis shoes

Good to know, thank you!

1 hour ago, smilegirl07 said:

Hi, y'all.  This is my first time being on NCL, I am sailing in 9 days on the Viva through the Med.

I know NCL does not have formal nights and the dress code is not as strict as some other cruise ships, but as I am packing now, I kinda wanted to get an idea how people dress for dinner and such.

If I am going to the indulge food hall, the buffet or any of the casual dining areas, I guess as long as I am properly covered up, I should be OK, but I wasn't sure how fancy people get for specialty restaurants and main dining room dinners.

If people get fancy how fancy do people get?  And if people get casual in the main dining/specialty restaurants, what is the allowable range?  I am sure no shorts for men, no hats, etc?

Please give me some ideas and help!  I definitely want to look a little nicer for Le Bistro and stuff but not overdone, and some nights I want to take it easy but still presentable.

I searched through about 10 pages back and could not find much info, so if this was discussed in the past, I apologize for asking again! 

Appreciate y'all help!  Happy cruising!

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). 

People, in general, don't get fancy. Lots of gents in Hawaiian shirts, dockers, and boat shoes. Lots of polo shirts. Lots of sun dresses. You're on vacation, be on vacation. 

Some of the younger folks like to dress to impress, but that is very short, tight skirts (not ball gowns)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On the Alaska cruises they give you Eskimo coats when you first board the ship, and you're required to wear them every time to dinner.  You're also required to wear that big hood up whenever you're not actually eating.  

You can trust me.  I never lie.

Edited by tetleytea
  • Haha 3

We never dress up for anything. We sail NcL specifically for that reason. If it’s cold, we wear jeans or sometime

khakis, and almost always have a fleece. When we go to the specialty restaurants we can wear the same thing, except I sometimes wear black travel pants to avoid the jeans. NCL is great about dress codes!

• Like 3

And then you have sloppy people like my husband and I. We wear athletic shorts, t-shirts, and (usually) flip flops. We purposely don't go to Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Palomar as we don't want to adhere to their dress code. We've never given it a second thought. 

• Like 1

(1) cruise ny 4life... i like your style of dress, although i loathe flip flops (2) chiefmate, maybe the fact that you dont wear underwear, is providing more information then anyone needs to know, there is such a thing as "OVERKILL" even in steerage (3) smilegirl, dress the way you would normally dress if you were going  out to dinner to a casual and/or local restaurant at home. the restaurants listed by cruiseny4life are the only ones on ncl ships with any dress requirements (collared shirts, and long pants for men) other than that, dress as casual as you like.

on any given ncl cruise we've ever taken,(30) so far, i live in jeans or sweats!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, complawyer said:

(1) cruise ny 4life... i like your style of dress, although i loathe flip flops (2) chiefmate, maybe the fact that you dont wear underwear, is providing more information then anyone needs to know, there is such a thing as "OVERKILL" even in steerage (3) smilegirl, dress the way you would normally dress if you were going  out to dinner to a casual and/or local restaurant at home. the restaurants listed by cruiseny4life are the only ones on ncl ships with any dress requirements (collared shirts, and long pants for men) other than that, dress as casual as you like.

on any given ncl cruise we've ever taken,(30) so far, i live in jeans or sweats!

@cruiseny4life wears flip flops. @ChiefMateJRKdoesn't wear underwear...so he flips and flops as well. (Inside joke from "Seinfeld"...)

• Haha 3

In all seriousness don't put up your feet on extra chairs so they are basically at eye level of diners  especially if you are wearing sandals with no socks and have scraggly toesnails....Aside from that you're good with me.

2 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

I dress the same way no matter where I am dining.  Usually start with a shower, dry off, put on my underwear and jeans followed by a t-shirt and finally shoes and socks.  All done!

Next time try doing jeans then underwear. It will make you super popular!

Also do shoes, then socks. Another hit! Everyone, and I mean everyone, will love your outfit!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:43 PM, cruiseny4life said:

And then you have sloppy people like my husband and I. We wear athletic shorts, t-shirts, and (usually) flip flops. We purposely don't go to Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Palomar as we don't want to adhere to their dress code. We've never given it a second thought. 

How dare you be comfortable on your vacation?!?! Don't you know that the way you dress drastically changes how I digest my meal?!? 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness, I can't stand people that judge others based on their attire. We all paid to be on vacation, so keep your mouth shut! There are plenty of cruise lines that let you dress formally, and expect the same of other passengers. NCL isn't one of them!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 1:35 PM, complawyer said:

It was a joke. Please watch Stripes and get back with us.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Next time try doing jeans then underwear. It will make you super popular!

Also do shoes, then socks. Another hit! Everyone, and I mean everyone, will love your outfit!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

How about NO socks and NO jeans? 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

How dare you be comfortable on your vacation?!?! Don't you know that the way you dress drastically changes how I digest my meal?!? 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness, I can't stand people that judge others based on their attire. We all paid to be on vacation, so keep your mouth shut! There are plenty of cruise lines that let you dress formally, and expect the same of other passengers. NCL isn't one of them!

I agree with the possble exception f socks with sandals/flip flops.  That is just wrong. 🙂

• Haha 1