Rosh Hashanah

This may be a long shot on here but I figured I'd ask!

I normally try not to travel for certain holidays that I celebrate especially Rosh Hashanah, but it looks like I may get time off work around this time. I'm thinking about taking an NCL cruise during this time. I know there's a secular chapel, but if you have ever been on an NCL cruise during Rosh Hashanah, did NCL have any small gathering for it mentioned in the daily or anything at all? It would just make me feel less guilty :0

42 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@UnbridledEnthusiasm

If you want to arrange a gathering get in touch with the GM as soon as you board and make a specific request in writing.

Or even use the form  https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/SpecialEventRequestWebForm with the above as a follow-up

TY. I never knew one could do that!

I have, twice, been in a similar situation on board; both 4 or 5 years ago.   I am neither Jewish nor in AA but have friends who were and who asked for my help.

There had been no early notification in the Freestyle Daily of the Friday evening service but I was able to make sure it was there on the Friday.

Similarly there was no notification for "Friends of BW" which I also had corrected.

• Like 2

@Chocolate Teapot

It does indeed but on that occasion it was far more urgent that an important announcement was to be made.   

That Friday was the start of Passover and there was to be a lighting of the special electric Passover Menorah in the Atrium, where it was to sit for the whole of Passover, with a new "candle" being "lit" each evening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Chocolate Teapot

It does indeed but on that occasion it was far more urgent that an important announcement was to be made.   

That Friday was the start of Passover and there was to be a lighting of the special electric Passover Menorah in the Atrium, where it was to sit for the whole of Passover, with a new "candle" being "lit" each evening.

Was there matzoh and other kosher for Passover foods available during the cruise?

I cruised during Passover.  I was lucky to have a Rabbi onboard.  He led a very small service in the Chapel.  There were not any Passover related foods on board, so you kind of have to make your menu from the dining room ( salads, oil/vinager dressing, fish/chicken/meat), Dont have them serve bread.  Maybe if possible, bring Matzo from home ( good luck if it docent to to crumbs).  Unfortuantly, my cruise went to Israel during Passover, NOTHING was open.  But at least I could say I spent Passover in Israel.  You can notify NCL and tell them you want Kosher meals, and they will probably give you a menu so you can order foods the night before

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I cruised during Passover.  I was lucky to have a Rabbi onboard.  He led a very small service in the Chapel.  There were not any Passover related foods on board, so you kind of have to make your menu from the dining room ( salads, oil/vinager dressing, fish/chicken/meat), Dont have them serve bread.  Maybe if possible, bring Matzo from home ( good luck if it docent to to crumbs).  Unfortuantly, my cruise went to Israel during Passover, NOTHING was open.  But at least I could say I spent Passover in Israel.  You can notify NCL and tell them you want Kosher meals, and they will probably give you a menu so you can order foods the night before

Many years ago I asked our TA whether Norwegian had kosher for Passover meals, and he said no I wondered if that had changed. I guess not.

On our Prima cruise last summer, there was a large group who needed kosher meals and they were given the Mexican restaurant onboard reserved for them the entire cruise..

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Many years ago I asked our TA whether Norwegian had kosher for Passover meals, and he said no I wondered if that had changed. I guess not.

On our Prima cruise last summer, there was a large group who needed kosher meals and they were given the Mexican restaurant onboard reserved for them the entire cruise..

I wonder if this was a partial charter that brought their own catering, dishes, etc, and went through the process of Koshering the galley.

I have seen people served Kosher meals in the dining room.  It was my understanding from chatting with the people that all the Kosher meals are brought on frozen and the kitchen just heats them up.  But I guess it's possible that if it was a very large group that they could take over one of the kitchens.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I wonder if this was a partial charter that brought their own catering, dishes, etc, and went through the process of Koshering the galley.

Could have been. I really did not think about it, but it probably was.

There was also a large contingent of deaf cruisers aboard with sign language interpreters.

20 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

This may be a long shot on here but I figured I'd ask!

I normally try not to travel for certain holidays that I celebrate especially Rosh Hashanah, but it looks like I may get time off work around this time. I'm thinking about taking an NCL cruise during this time. I know there's a secular chapel, but if you have ever been on an NCL cruise during Rosh Hashanah, did NCL have any small gathering for it mentioned in the daily or anything at all? It would just make me feel less guilty :0

Call NCL and see if there will be a rabbi onboard any of the ships at High Holiday time.  Years ago, I was on a cruise where there was.

16 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Chocolate Teapot

Are you sure you don’t mean Hanukah? The candle lighting pattern you are describing is for Hanukah, not Passover.

• Like 1

If you call NCL, at least 30 days before sailing, they will have pre-packaged kosher meals available for you.  If you are have a large group, then they will make arraignments for your group to have part of the kitchen made kosher.  This is the info I had read from their website.  I personally do Shabbat services at the dinner table when cruising.  The wine is already there, the candles are already on the table, and the bread is covered.  I tell the server to just give us a few minutes while we do our 3 little prayers ( blessing of the candles, wine, bread).  Many times, they just stand back and listen and watch.

22 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Chocolate Teapot

My parents once went on a cruise (don't remember the line) during Passover and during the pseudo service the staff gave challah lol. 

7 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

My parents once went on a cruise (don't remember the line) during Passover and during the pseudo service the staff gave challah lol. 

OMG! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

We had an entire Passover service with prayer books, wine and special plate on Cunard. They served all of the traditional favorites;  liver pate,  matzoh ball soup, brisket, macaroons. A fellow passenger conducted the service. It was wonderful. Cunard went out of their way to arrange this for us. And matzoh was available at our different tables for the next few days.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We had an entire Passover service with prayer books, wine and special plate on Cunard. They served all of the traditional favorites;  liver pate,  matzoh ball soup, brisket, macaroons. A fellow passenger conducted the service. It was wonderful. Cunard went out of their way to arrange this for us. And matzoh was available at our different tables for the next few days.

I don't think anyone is confusing Cunard with NCL.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/26/2024 at 1:32 AM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Chocolate Teapot

Very odd as the Menorah is lit for Hanukah and not for Passover and Hanukah is not even a high holy day.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drew69 said:

Very odd as the Menorah is lit for Hanukah and not for Passover and Hanukah is not even a high holy day.  

Yes, Channukah is a rather minor holiday that has taken much more prominence because of its timing near Christmas.