Pricing on NCL Has Gotten Outrageous

3 minutes ago, njkate said:

IMO it has gotten to the point where eventually

capacity will level off.

Agree. Disney going through it now as people push back on their ridiculous price increases and cutbacks. It is a cycle. Its coming for the cruise industry, too, but the cruise industry is smartly enjoying it while they can. Not always about affordability, it is about return on investment.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Agree. Disney going through it now as people push back on their ridiculous price increases and cutbacks. It is a cycle. Its coming for the cruise industry, too, but the cruise industry is smartly enjoying it while they can. Not always about affordability, it is about return on investment.

Yep!! The NCL apologists will come back with everything is high blah blah blah

if you read the news consumers are pushing back from fast food to vacations enough is enough! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Yep!! The NCL apologists will come back with everything is high blah blah blah

if you read the news consumers are pushing back from fast food to vacations enough is enough! 

NCL apologists? Not sure why there is a need for the ad hominem attack here. Can't we simply discuss the facts of the situation? The use of demeaning labels doesn't, IMHO, support your position.

Just my two cents, but when I see one person refer to another in this way (apologist, cheerleader, etc.) it comes across as a sign that the person using the label is doing so because they have a weak argument that they can't support. When I see the labels, I'm more inclined to accept the position of the person being labeled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My recent cruises and searches have been for itineraries in Europe.  Occasionally a friend will join me, but usually I am searching for solo rates. While it's not totally appropriate when looking at different itineraries, I do, like the OP, compare per-day prices before committing. 

I sailed on NCL in years past and always had good experiences.   But I have been startled by their recent prices for European itineraries.   In Dec of 2022 (best prices far in advance??), I booked a July 2025 cruise on the Dawn (one of their oldest ships) that circles Ireland, and the price was so high that for the first time in years, I booked an ocean view rather than a balcony.  Earlier this year, I took advantage of NCL offering solo rates on the ships that don't have specific solo cabins, and thus went down a deck for a porthole rather than a window in order to save about $600.   Yet that cabin, on a per-day basis, is about the same as I am paying for a solo balcony on the Celebrity Equinox in the Mediterranean next month.   Yes, I know Ireland isn't the same as Spain, France, and Italy.  But the cost comparison is startling to me, and given that I have retired since booking the Ireland cruise (more time but a revised budget 😏), I am likely to cancel it.  

I used to believe that a cruise was a good value in Europe compared to hotels and meals on land.  I am reconsidering that concept now, due to high fares on all the major lines and high cost of excursions.  (Yes, I know there are alternatives to ship-sponsored excursions, but those remain my choice.)   Assuming I cancel the Dawn cruise, I will seriously research a land-based visit to Ireland.  On land, when my hotel isn't floating away at the end of the day, I am open to public transportation and other low cost tour options. And I know how to eat economically when traveling; three sit-down restaurant meals a day aren't necessary to me.

Back to the point of NCL's costs compared to the other lines, I figure NCL's "Free at Sea" promotion is a factor.   Nothing is free LOL!  I don't drink enough to make any cruise lines' drink package worth it.  I am not interested in specialty dining, as I am usually solo and prefer more casual dining.  I am not interested in any flight benefits as I want to make my own flight arrangements.   I can pass on those perks, but doing so doesn't lower the cruise fare.  From reading these posts, those benefits are important to many, and they must be popular, as NCL continues to offer them.   But it just doesn't work as well for me.  

I sailed on the Getaway in May in northern Europe, and I made good use of the $50 excursion benefit and my Silver Latitudes discount.  So that was good.   A friend joined me on that cruise, so I had someone to share the cost of the cabin.  But I originally booked as a solo and likely would have canceled due to the high per-day cost had she not decided to join me.

I will always look at NCL when researching cruises, and I like their refundable deposits, but it's looking less and less likely that they will be my ultimate choice when I am ready to book, due to their prices.   

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

NCL apologists? Not sure why there is a need for the ad hominem attack here. Can't we simply discuss the facts of the situation? The use of demeaning labels doesn't, IMHO, support your position.

Just my two cents, but when I see one person refer to another in this way (apologist, cheerleader, etc.) it comes across as a sign that the person using the label is doing so because they have a weak argument that they can't support. When I see the labels, I'm more inclined to accept the position of the person being labeled.

Sorry but unfortunately any time someone posts the slightest negativity about NCl that is what happens! You have people that defend them to the death and truth I really don’t care how much weight you give or don’t give to my post! It is what it is

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

My recent cruises and searches have been for itineraries in Europe.  Occasionally a friend will join me, but usually I am searching for solo rates. While it's not totally appropriate when looking at different itineraries, I do, like the OP, compare per-day prices before committing. 

I sailed on NCL in years past and always had good experiences.   But I have been startled by their recent prices for European itineraries.   In Dec of 2022 (best prices far in advance??), I booked a July 2025 cruise on the Dawn (one of their oldest ships) that circles Ireland, and the price was so high that for the first time in years, I booked an ocean view rather than a balcony.  Earlier this year, I took advantage of NCL offering solo rates on the ships that don't have specific solo cabins, and thus went down a deck for a porthole rather than a window in order to save about $600.   Yet that cabin, on a per-day basis, is about the same as I am paying for a solo balcony on the Celebrity Equinox in the Mediterranean next month.   Yes, I know Ireland isn't the same as Spain, France, and Italy.  But the cost comparison is startling to me, and given that I have retired since booking the Ireland cruise (more time but a revised budget 😏), I am likely to cancel it.  

I used to believe that a cruise was a good value in Europe compared to hotels and meals on land.  I am reconsidering that concept now, due to high fares on all the major lines and high cost of excursions.  (Yes, I know there are alternatives to ship-sponsored excursions, but those remain my choice.)   Assuming I cancel the Dawn cruise, I will seriously research a land-based visit to Ireland.  On land, when my hotel isn't floating away at the end of the day, I am open to public transportation and other low cost tour options. And I know how to eat economically when traveling; three sit-down restaurant meals a day aren't necessary to me.

Back to the point of NCL's costs compared to the other lines, I figure NCL's "Free at Sea" promotion is a factor.   Nothing is free LOL!  I don't drink enough to make any cruise lines' drink package worth it.  I am not interested in specialty dining, as I am usually solo and prefer more casual dining.  I am not interested in any flight benefits as I want to make my own flight arrangements.   I can pass on those perks, but doing so doesn't lower the cruise fare.  From reading these posts, those benefits are important to many, and they must be popular, as NCL continues to offer them.   But it just doesn't work as well for me.  

I sailed on the Getaway in May in northern Europe, and I made good use of the $50 excursion benefit and my Silver Latitudes discount.  So that was good.   A friend joined me on that cruise, so I had someone to share the cost of the cabin.  But I originally booked as a solo and likely would have canceled due to the high per-day cost had she not decided to join me.

I will always look at NCL when researching cruises, and I like their refundable deposits, but it's looking less and less likely that they will be my ultimate choice when I am ready to book, due to their prices.   

All of this and throw in that no port is guaranteed, that’s why I’m not ready to plunk down thousands on a cruise and air fare to find myself just floating around the sea for a few days, it wouldn’t bother me so much in the Caribbean but Europe is a whole different ball game!!

Not sure what I’ll do next summer or fall but Spring is booked for 14 days in France hitting Paris, Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley and back to Paris for 2 nights

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, njkate said:

. . . . Not sure what I’ll do next summer or fall but Spring is booked for 14 days in France hitting Paris, Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley and back to Paris for 2 nights

Sounds fabulous!  Have a great time.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njkate said:

Sorry but unfortunately any time someone posts the slightest negativity about NCl that is what happens! You have people that defend them to the death and truth I really don’t care how much weight you give or don’t give to my post! It is what it is

No need to apologize (does that make you and apologist?). You may have people who you think "defend them to the death", but just because they don't join in with your opinion doesn't mean they ALWAYS feel that way...thus, the adhominem attack is unwarranted. In the same vein, would it be acceptable to simply dismiss your opinion and experience by labeling you an "NCL attacker" or an "NCL hater"?

My two cents, but it takes some level of caring to comment...so I can't buy into the "I really don't care", if that were the case, you wouldn't comment at all.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

No need to apologize (does that make you and apologist?). You may have people who you think "defend them to the death", but just because they don't join in with your opinion doesn't mean they ALWAYS feel that way...thus, the adhominem attack is unwarranted. In the same vein, would it be acceptable to simply dismiss your opinion and experience by labeling you an "NCL attacker" or an "NCL hater"?

My two cents, but it takes some level of caring to comment...so I can't buy into the "I really don't care", if that were the case, you wouldn't comment at all.

I wish there was an eye roll emoji

You have the option to just scroll on by

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, njkate said:

I really don’t care how much weight you give or don’t give to my post! It is what it is

If you don't care what weight we give to your post, why do you post it? Just for your enjoyment?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We're doing a long land trip to Ireland this spring too.  Hotel prices and airfare are better than last year and cruise prices in Europe for the coming season are too high.  Agree completely with Joanne G and njkate.  We are walking away from cruises that are no longer good value for money.  We will still take cruises that are fairly priced like Alaska, some transatlantics and last minute bargains from NYC, but doubt we will be booking anything else for a while.  We've also dropped Disney - too crowded, too expensive for what you get now and way too complicated - which is wild for me to say being a major planning type.  Our adult kids now come back from WDW saying it is just not the same as the vacations they remember growing up.  Plenty of lovely places to go that are not a rip-off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IAcruising said:

If you don't care what weight we give to your post, why do you post it? Just for your enjoyment?

This is a forum, where people post their opinions about the cruising industry.  Some people are regular folk and have something to say and some people are paid to defend corporations.  Either way, anyone can post what they want and they don't have to defend their motivations.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WarfRatWA said:

This is a forum, where people post their opinions about the cruising industry.  Some people are regular folk and have something to say and some people are paid to defend corporations.  Either way, anyone can post what they want and they don't have to defend their motivations.  

Thank you!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

We're doing a long land trip to Ireland this spring too.  Hotel prices and airfare are better than last year and cruise prices in Europe for the coming season are too high.  Agree completely with Joanne G and njkate.  We are walking away from cruises that are no longer good value for money.  We will still take cruises that are fairly priced like Alaska, some transatlantics and last minute bargains from NYC, but doubt we will be booking anything else for a while.  We've also dropped Disney - too crowded, too expensive for what you get now and way too complicated - which is wild for me to say being a major planning type.  Our adult kids now come back from WDW saying it is just not the same as the vacations they remember growing up.  Plenty of lovely places to go that are not a rip-off.

Oh enjoy!!! I did a land vacation in Ireland and Wales many years ago!

Yes when I weighed the cost of cruise versus land vacation the land vacation won! I chose France!

I’ve had enough of Caribbean, even though I’ve sailed Alaska twice I’d do it again if the price was right! I’d love be to do Panama Canal but again price needs to be right

Enjoy Ireland! Bonus you will not chance a port being cancelled because sea is too rough to tender

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@njkate I think Paris and Brittany are wonderful choices, far better than the overrated Med (imho). Thank you for choosing my country for your vacation, I hope you have a wonderful time. 

About cruises being crazy expensive you have to compare everything nowadays: 

- my partner wanted to see Scotland and Ireland. He dislikes driving. In Ireland there are not many trains. In the UK, there are, but the prices can be very high. Accomodation is also expensive. Therefore we opted for a 12 night Princess cruise, and I think we made a good deal. Prices is now 1000€ pp higher than when we booked. 

- we wanted to return to Japan. We checked cruises with Princess, Celebrity and NCL, but Japan has many cheap hotels, excellent and affordable food and a superb train network. A land-based trip won very handily for that one.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

@njkate I think Paris and Brittany are wonderful choices, far better than the overrated Med (imho). Thank you for choosing my country for your vacation, I hope you have a wonderful time. 

About cruises being crazy expensive you have to compare everything nowadays: 

- my partner wanted to see Scotland and Ireland. He dislikes driving. In Ireland there are not many trains. In the UK, there are, but the prices can be very high. Accomodation is also expensive. Therefore we opted for a 12 night Princess cruise, and I think we made a good deal. Prices is now 1000€ pp higher than when we booked. 

- we wanted to return to Japan. We checked cruises with Princess, Celebrity and NCL, but Japan has many cheap hotels, excellent and affordable food and a superb train network. A land-based trip won very handily for that one.

Enjoy Japan!! I’m excited for France, Normandy has been high on my list for years, to also incorporate Paris, Brittany and Loire Valley is a bonus!!

My grandson who will be 11 next summer wants to go to Europe! He is a little mutt with ancestry of Italian, Spanish, Irish, Scottish, French and Swiss, so I’ll let him choose a country, look at cruises, leaning towards Princess, and look at land based and work on booking something! Only leaning towards Princess because if he wants Ireland and Scotland I’m confined to Dawn and I’m not impressed with that ship!

Any suggestions for Brittany?? Normandy and Paris I have covered

I wish NCL would start paying me to post my opinions.  I'd be shilling all over the place.

This is really simple.  It sounds like some people don't like sailing Disney, Royal, Carnival, HAL, NCL, etc.  I get it.  If you don't like sailing any of them, there are other choices. 

But, denigrating someone for their preferences in cruising is just not welcomed, nor useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Enjoy Japan!! I’m excited for France, Normandy has been high on my list for years, to also incorporate Paris, Brittany and Loire Valley is a bonus!!

My grandson who will be 11 next summer wants to go to Europe! He is a little mutt with ancestry of Italian, Spanish, Irish, Scottish, French and Swiss, so I’ll let him choose a country, look at cruises, leaning towards Princess, and look at land based and work on booking something! Only leaning towards Princess because if he wants Ireland and Scotland I’m confined to Dawn and I’m not impressed with that ship!

Any suggestions for Brittany?? Normandy and Paris I have covered

I will always have a soft spot for the Pink Granite Coast. My partner really liked the Pointe de Penhir walk in Crozon.

Brittany is filled with charming cities with medieval walls and unique architecture, such as Vannes, Concarneau, Quimper or Saint-Malo (more touristy but still worth it). 

I have been to most of France's biggest cities and they all their unique charm. Rennes is no exception. It's a lively place with great food. All of Britanny has great food really: seafood, cheese, strawberries, kouign aman (prepare your waistline for that one) and, of course the crêpes. 

Edited by MyriamS
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, njkate said:

You have the option to just scroll on by

As do you, correct?

7 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

Some people are regular folk and have something to say and some people are paid to defend corporations.

If that is true, then there are others who are also paid to attack corporations, correct? I know you don't, but what the heck...do you have any evidence what-so-ever of even one person here who is "paid to defend corporations"? 

Can't we just discuss the facts without the tropes?

IMHO, people have to learn to accept that some people are regular folk who have something to say that just might not agree with their own opinion.

20 hours ago, njkate said:

I wish there was an eye roll emoji

Well, this isn't the "NCL wish" thread, but 🙄

Hard to believe all of this blowback simply because I said we should be able to discuss facts without the ad hominem attacks, tropes, and name-calling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/10/2024 at 8:06 AM, MyriamS said:

. . . About cruises being crazy expensive you have to compare everything nowadays: 

- my partner wanted to see Scotland and Ireland. He dislikes driving. In Ireland there are not many trains. In the UK, there are, but the prices can be very high. Accomodation is also expensive. Therefore we opted for a 12 night Princess cruise, and I think we made a good deal. Prices is now 1000€ pp higher than when we booked. . . .  

Yes, you are absolutely right that we need to compare everything.  For me, renting a car in Europe is out of the question, and not just in countries that drive on the left side of the road.  So that limits my activities on a land vacation and makes a cruise look good.  Bus tours aren't appealing to me; cruises are preferable due to most of the transportation between cities being at night while I sleep.  

On the other hand, I have had no trouble finding hotels in Europe (Paris, Rome, London) that have rooms specifically for solo travelers - small and with a twin bed, but value-priced and fine for me.   It's pretty hard to find a value-priced non-interior cruise cabin for a solo.  The one I have on the NCL Ireland cruise that I mentioned in post #279 certainly isn't a good value by my standards.  

Lots of choices, lots of research needed.  What's changed for me is the assumption that a cruise is a better value than a land vacation - as well as the assumption that NCL will be a better value than lines I have considered to be a bit more upscale, such as Princess and Celebrity.  (Subjective, I know, but that's how I've seen it.).  

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 6

I don't really see the "premium/upscale" versus "mainstream" cruise line divide anymore.

NCL I would definitely consider a premium line in Europe due to their high prices, while I understand that, in the US, they are a mainstream line with prices comparable to RCI/Carnival.

Celebrity is supposed to be RCI's premium line but it can be pretty affordable on some routes/ships. RCI can cost a lot more than Celebrity!

Princess was once considered a premium line, but with their new pricing structure, I think they are going towards the mainstream, the idea being that budget cruisers can pay the base far only while people wishing for a more premium experience will opt for Princess Plus or Princess Premier.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 10:13 AM, graphicguy said:

But, denigrating someone for their preferences in cruising is just not welcomed, nor useful.

Exactly. It’s no different than Chevy vs. Ford, Target vs. Walmart, Coke vs. Pepsi, etc.

it puzzles me how so many on here seem so vested in how others spend their time and money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pointing out changes in onboard quality and areas for improvement is a normal and perfectly fine discussion and should be about informing other CC members who haven't cruised NCL lately how to adjust their expectations since their last cruise (I tell my friends when our local theatre changes their folding chairs and raises the price on beer and popcorn too....but they usually say "thank you" instead of "maybe you should never go to the theatre again").........if a person is taking feedback provided on an inanimate for-profit corporation and twisting it to be a personal affront or insult, that is really more their issue. I like to think our true intention is to help each other choose and enjoy the best vacation we can.  Happy Monday everyone!

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 4

I believe most are here because they are a veteran cruiser.  If not, and there have been a few who have said they are "first time cruisers", then the experience will be their first and initial first impression they can comment on.

There's a lot of "I'm going to cruise 'Princess' (or pick any of the other mainstream lines) because I don't like NCL".  That's OK, too!  I personally have sailed MSC, Royal, HAL, Celebrity and NCL.  

I find value in NCL.

I've seen it all on these boards.  Most recently, the uproar over someone not being able to find cookies.  I never had that issue, and many have pointed out that they hadn't either.  But, that caused a stir.

Hashbrowns are gone.  OK.  Personally, those round potato "thingies" they served were pretty dismal to begin with.  But, if you miss those, OK.

I read a recent criticism because someone wanted to bring their own flavored sodas on board because of health issues.  Seriously!  They considered it a violation of the ADA if they weren't allowed to bring their preferred soda flavor on board.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me shake my head and not take most of the complaints seriously.

You're going to drop $1,000 or more on a cruise.  For that money, I'm shopping, a lot.  I can usually find a nice fare on NCL.  But, if you can't, by all means, find another cruise line that offers you as much for the buck.  It can be done.  Just like you can find a fare on NCL that's less expensive than the other cruise lines.

But, this is like going to one grocery store because their loaf of bread is less than another.  Going to another grocery store because their gallon of milk is less than the others.  Or, finding a pound of coffee is less at another.

Sure, you got the cheapest price, but you dropped $10 in gas traveling around to save $5 in grocery costs.

What is one person's criticism is another's highlight. 

Whatever experience you want or have on a cruise on any cruise line, begins with YOU!  If you have an issue, tell the cruise line.  They will do their level best to alleviate whatever issue you have (within reason).

Appreciate other peoples' thoughts.  But, moving from one cruise line to another is generally a personal choice.  A cruise allows you to have as much food as you want, as much drink as you want, be entertained, visit exotic locales, all while comfortably sailing on the water.  How that can be bad is beyond me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 7/27/2024 at 9:02 PM, JamieLogical said:

All of the he prices I have mentioned in this thread are total cruise price including drinks, wifi, gratuities (DSC), and port fees/taxes. There is literally no point in comparing pricing between cruise lines without all of those things as I would never sail without them.

On MSC I always book with drinks and wifi included. On Celebrity, I always book their "Always Included" price. On Princess I always book with Princess Plus. And on NCL I always book with FAS.

NCL's FAS drinks and wifi are inferior to the other lines in that the drinks package doesn't cover bottled water and specialty coffee and the wifi is a limited number of minutes.

For $21 pp pd for all the alcohol I want, I’ll but myself a latte. I bring a yeti for my water.

• Like 1