Sunbed reservation wars spreads.

majortom10

11 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Agree with the buffet, I hold the table while DW gathers her food first.

Not ideal but no practical alternative.

This is why I don’t eat in the buffet.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, no1talks said:

Too right. 

Well if you can find me a sit down to eat venue on a Cunard ship where I can have some noodles or stir fry along with smoked salmon, salad, Brie, olives and other totally unconnected foods, all on the same plate, do tell so I can get my pick 'n mix fix.

This culinary slob, happy not to try and find a place to sit down, took my slobby plate down to our cabin! 😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One answer, of course, is the dining room. 

I did complain to a manager. The staff can't doing anything about rude people. But the big problem is that passengers settle down at a table in the buffet and stay there well after finishing their meal. Staff aren't allowed (or willing) to ask them to leave. The manager I spoke to on QV asked me to write a complaint letter to the Hotel director. She said that staff are aware of the people staying too long, but her bosses would pay more attention to a comment from a passenger than from staff. 

Such a dreadful experience for you, Kathy.  I’m so sorry you had to endure it.  
@BklynBoy8:  Your suggestion is exactly what we did on a few mornings we felt we would be stretching friendships in QG because we were somewhat tardy for breakfast.  Coffee and Carinthia’s delicious croissants were perfect, as was the most enjoyable experience of comfortably observing the ship’s comings and goings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, techteach said:

This is why I don’t eat in the buffet.

and why I take my pick 'n mix plate down to the cabin 🙂

The Lido on the Vistas has more choice but the Lido [can't call it 'Artisans'] on QA still has enough choice for my treat plate.

14 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And Kings Court... the only polite thing I can think to say is it is not my favorite place on QM2. 

Not ours either in the day but the Chefs Galley in the evening can hit the spot with pizza/pasta table service.

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

@BklynBoy8:  Your suggestion is exactly what we did on a few mornings we felt we would be stretching friendships in QG because we were somewhat tardy for breakfast.  Coffee and Carinthia’s delicious croissants were perfect, as was the most enjoyable experience of comfortably observing the ship’s comings and goings.

Thank you @Mareblu

We are seriously thinking of if needed to use Carinthia in the Morn.

Next trip we will be landing 7 times, day after day after day on islands. Not sure if we will stay on board, walk the Ports or take Shore Excursions. But if we need to depart the ship early to meet a tour, I would consider it.

Granted the portion are small but are filling. And there are also a variety of different breakfast items to choose from the what we viewed. Cold & Hot Drinks also available in that area. Not needing to walk to KC and carry the drinks back.

You will miss the variety of other items in KC but convenience and quieter atmosphere are a plus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I've never worried about being late to breakfast when I've been in PG. It often varies depending on port day vs sea day. Some people sleep late, others have things to do, places to go. Some people get there early and leave while I'm mid-breakfast, and some may not come at all.

Dinner matters more. On my last cruise, we all tended to arrive around the same time in the evening, so the flow of courses was smooth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a solo travellor, I do find it hard if I visit te buffet (rarely) to get a table and have resorted to placing a book, or jumper, on a table before going to get my food.

March 2025 will be my first venture with Cunard, and I have boooked Britannia Club which, I gather, will guarantee me a reserved table for all meals throuought the voyage

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

As a solo travellor, I do find it hard if I visit te buffet (rarely) to get a table and have resorted to placing a book, or jumper, on a table before going to get my food.

March 2025 will be my first venture with Cunard, and I have boooked Britannia Club which, I gather, will guarantee me a reserved table for all meals throuought the voyage

Hello Ichabod,

Welcome to Cunard!

You mentioned you will be sailing in March 2025? Which sailing if you don't mind. We too are in March 2025, the Caribbean voyage.

Also we are also on our Sailing in Britannia Club for this trip.

We have sailed and are booked Brit Club many times and enjoy the one attraction of a reserved (same) table thru out the trip. There are two Dining Rooms, one on the Port and another on the Starboard side. Those in cabins on Deck 13 are seem to be assigned on the Starboard.

We enjoy the Menu with added  A La Cart Menu w extra choices and certain other entrees prepared table side. Also Flambe Table for desserts an extra treat.

Breakfast & Lunch are at 8AM and 12 Noon. And you can dine for Dinner anytime btw 630 & 9PM with no rush. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Britannia Club 👍 You won't regret it . Often referred to as a 'Half Way House to Princess Grill'.

Priority boarding ( regardless of Cunard world club loyalty level)

Coffee  machine

Bottled mineral water ( replenished daily)

High quality Bath Robe

Open dining time in the evening- dedicated table and wait staff

Additional A' La Cart menu in the evening  - Cheese Trolley - Table side Flambé desserts .

You've made a good choice 👍 - more often than not this is my booking category too. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you. It's good to see the advantages of Britannia Club. I assumed that, as a "newby", I'd be bottom of the list as far as boarding is concerned - how "priority" is the priority boarding?

Do the bath robes come in different sises or is it a case of "one size fits all"? I'm quite a portly old man so "one size fits all might not "fit all"!

I'm on Queen Victoria for a short (4 night) voyage to Hamburg - juat as a taster for me - see if I like Cunard.

Would a dark suit be acceptable on formal night - or would I be expected to fork out for a formal dinner suit? On non-formal nights would a shirt & tie without a jacket be OK?

Edited by Ichabod123
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Thank you. It's good to see the advantages of Britannia Club. I assumed that, as a "newby", I'd be bottom of the list as far as boarding is concerned - how "priority" is the priority boarding?

Do the bath robes come in different sises or is it a case of "one size fits all"? I'm quite a portly old man so "one size fits all might not "fit all"!

I'm on Queen Victoria for a short (4 night) voyage to Hamburg - juat as a taster for me - see if I like Cunard.

Would a dark suit be acceptable on formal night - or would I be expected to fork out for a formal dinner suit? On non-formal nights would a shirt & tie without a jacket be OK?

Either Ship, ENJOY!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

We've never questioned the size robes, just used what was in the closet in the cabin. Work with  cabin steward...

Your Booking Pass you will print out 21 days before boarding on the My Cunard Site will show you by your Cabin Number as BRITANNIA CLUB - PRIORITY. This after the initial check in - will direct you in the terminal to the Platinum/Diamond/Club Priority Line. Make sure you show the staff your Paperwork. Your Luggage will also have a Priority Luggage Tag.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Many thanks for all your help & advise

Re Priority Check-in/Boarding (BritanniaClub) 

On arrival at the terminal -show your boarding card to the agent controlling the Queues/Lines and you will be directed to 'By- Pass any long lines' to the Priority check-in for Grills & high loyalty guests.  Britannia Club guests are called forward for embarkation/boarding immediately after Grill Guests.   

One more question - well, two really:-

Is afternoon tea a formal affair - whirt & tie? Jacket?

On a formal night, is a normal tie acceptable, or does it need to be a bow tie?

I'm getting myself worked up already - and it's still 9 months away 🙂

24 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

There is no special dress code for afternoon tea.  People wear their normal daytime clothes, you can wear what you want.  

On formal night a straight tie with a dark suit is fine, or even a modern tuxedo with a tie.  Bow tie is not required.

17 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Oh, and one more - which dining options will be available for lunch on embarkation day?

Unfortunately Britannia Club dining is not available on Embarkation Day.

You will have to use one of the other Dining Options instead.....Sorry...

23 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Don't get worked up.

Afternoon tea is NOT formal in any way although I generally change out of deck wear into something less 'deckwear'ish'.

Normal tie with a suit will be fine for a formal evening.

Don't worry!!! Its a holiday, not an endurance test.🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Ichabod123 said:

Ichabod,

Regular daytime dress is acceptable in the Queen Room at the Afternoon Tea.

You may enjoy dressing in a Formal Tux if you wish or a Dark Suit with a regular tie or Bow Tie as you wish. Dressing Formal is to your liking.

I am 230 days away and already thinking and mind-set preparing. We may not be on the same boat but in the same mind set....lol....Enjoy the excitement.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Normal tie with a suit will be fine for a formal evening.

Similarly fine is a tuxedo: black tie, wing collar shirt, onyx shirt studs, peak lapel jacket…. Not many will (though a few very well may) actually adhere to “formal”, i.e. tailcoat, white tie, white pique vest, starched marcella bib shirt with detachable wing collar, mother of pearl studs…

51 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

tailcoat, white tie, white pique vest, starched marcella bib shirt with detachable wing collar, mother of pearl studs…

I had considered bringing my white-tie kit in the event of a 1920s theme being on the schedule. However, I have decided against doing so because white tie was already losing ground to black tie by the advent of the 20s. Additionally, it would require another pair of shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vieux_carre said:

Similarly fine is a tuxedo: black tie, wing collar shirt, onyx shirt studs, peak lapel jacket…. Not many will (though a few very well may) actually adhere to “formal”, i.e. tailcoat, white tie, white pique vest, starched marcella bib shirt with detachable wing collar, mother of pearl studs…

Similarly fine, is a black dinner suit with a dress shirt and bow tie.

I think dressing for a state banquet is a little OTT even for Cunard. I think the correct corresponding dress for a female companion eg full skirted Ball gown would be a bzzzzr to pack!! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1