Sunbed reservation wars spreads.

majortom10

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Been like that for a while. I think it’s good value didn’t buy until day 2 and after W C discount about $100 dollars for 2 weeks suits me. Connectivity seems better  and don’t have to keep logging in as before. On aft deck pool area only a few with towels on and all others occupied and have been all day not obvious signs of people just reserving and going off. I was out just before 10 and there were plenty available. 

Thank you! All the doom and gloom had me quite disheartened about joining you next week.

Assuming the Azipod is repaired by then, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

The redoubtable Joy, Grills Concierge, par excellence, who now sadly for QA but happily for her, is now with QM2 and with officer status, patrolled deck 11 and had an uncanny sense of who wasn't Grills.

I can't see any locks being added to deck 11 gates, so maybe the old Grills symbol on cruise cards might be useful again. Of course that's supposing deck staff have the authority and are willing to exercise that authority in asking for cards and removing those not entitled to be there.

Passengers have been known to throw tantrums [as happened on our 10th May cruise] when asked to do something they don't want to do and I don't envy the staff at the sharp end trying to sort 'things' out.

Or just stop bothering about people walking through unobtrusively. Where is the harm?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Sigh indeed.... Dennis was the last of the Old School Cunard crewmembers. With the wrinkles and mahogany skin complexion of a real deck steward.  And the most wonderfully outrageous "Dennis Tall Tales". He spoilt us rotten on our honeymoon and my wife just loved him. We met Dennis for the last time, in civvies, aboard QE2 in Southampton when he was just visiting some old shipmates.  Like so many oldtime stewards, he opened a pub in Hampshire. So none of those tall tales to go to waste even in his dotage.  

BTW, he unzipped one of those blue cushions for me and showed me what was underneath: the original zig-zag cushions from... QUEEN MARY! As were her steamer rugs, too. 

He certainly sounds a man well worth avoiding by peasants such as me. Very unlike the kind and friendly present day staff.

Just now, exlondoner said:

Or just stop bothering about people walking through unobtrusively. Where is the harm?

No harm whatsoever.

I think it was when taking sun loungers or drinking out of glass bottles when in the hot tubs on our May cruise that folk got a bit fed up.

Not an issue last two weeks. Too damn cold!!! 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

No harm whatsoever.

I think it was when taking sun loungers or drinking out of glass bottles when in the hot tubs on our May cruise that folk got a bit fed up.

Not an issue last two weeks. Too damn cold!!! 😄

Yes, all the difference in the world between strolling though and appropriating amenities.

• Like 1

It seems to me that if Cunard promotes a “freestyle” cruising experience it would also mean they need more staff to monitor these “freestyling” activities. We, as pax, should not have to police and remove: the saved chair for Tea in the QR, saved loungers near the pool, or check who’s in Grills or not while on the Terrace. There is no upside for passenger vs passenger confrontations. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I know you go back further than me, but I don’t remember this being something I knew was available on our first crossing in 1997, nor can find any mention of it in the daily programme. So either it finished earlier than 2004, or it was another one of those irritating things you had to know about to know about.

My first time on Cunard was 1988 and I don't know how we knew about reserving chairs. I do remember that we went up to Sun Deck and I asked about reserving on Boat Deck. Dennis said, "Oh lady, you don't want to be there, too windy." So I asked him where I did want to be and he recommended a place that became our spot for many voyages thereafter. 

I poked through my files and a final statement from 2002 shows $17 for "deck chair." Other charges (bar charges) show as "sun deck." A statement from 2004 shows only "sun deck" charges and none is a round number, so I think they're all bar charges. So I guess somewhere between 2002 and 2004, the reserving stopped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

He certainly sounds a man well worth avoiding by peasants such as me. Very unlike the kind and friendly present day staff.

A few voyages ago, in his remarks at a World Club party, Captain Wells talked about QE2 and how he was sad to see her go, but understood it had to be. He said he had fond memories of his children taking some of their first steps holding Dennis's hand up on Sun Deck. After he was done, I went over to thank him for reminding me of my fond memories of Dennis. Captain Wells said, "He was rude to people and they loved him for it!" And even now, my memories make me laugh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

some people could inadvertently enter and use the facilities.

...and there will be others who will not give a tinker's cuss whether the area is reserved or not.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

There is no upside for passenger vs passenger confrontations. 

If fencing foils are available, that would provide an exciting option. 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My first time on Cunard was 1988 and I don't know how we knew about reserving chairs. I do remember that we went up to Sun Deck and I asked about reserving on Boat Deck. Dennis said, "Oh lady, you don't want to be there, too windy." So I asked him where I did want to be and he recommended a place that became our spot for many voyages thereafter. 

I poked through my files and a final statement from 2002 shows $17 for "deck chair." Other charges (bar charges) show as "sun deck." A statement from 2004 shows only "sun deck" charges and none is a round number, so I think they're all bar charges. So I guess somewhere between 2002 and 2004, the reserving stopped. 

Thank you, I’ve checked 1997 and 1999 stuff, and can find no reference. Mind you on our first crossing, despite a massive detour, the weather was mainly so bad, there might not have been many takers anyway.

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

A few voyages ago, in his remarks at a World Club party, Captain Wells talked about QE2 and how he was sad to see her go, but understood it had to be. He said he had fond memories of his children taking some of their first steps holding Dennis's hand up on Sun Deck. After he was done, I went over to thank him for reminding me of my fond memories of Dennis. Captain Wells said, "He was rude to people and they loved him for it!" And even now, my memories make me laugh. 

Never works for me. I would just find it deeply intimidating, comparable to the impression given by a few on here (not you, obviously) that one must be worthy to be allowed to go on Cunard.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, no1talks said:

I had considered bringing my white-tie kit in the event of a 1920s theme being on the schedule. However, I have decided against doing so because white tie was already losing ground to black tie by the advent of the 20s. Additionally, it would require another pair of shoes.

@no1talks

As mentioned on the Roll Call, I am looking forward to bring for White Jacket on the sailing. Yes, working on the scale numbers to be reduced also for the fine cuisine. A Black Tie, White Jacket and Black Pants like we did on Tropical Evening on the QE2... Hoping they will add that one.

On Formal Gala Theme evenings when all dress on the QM2 it's really put a Special Feeling After 6. Walking the Hallways really adds to that I always say that "James Bond-ish" atmosphere.

But all should all dress as they wish to feel comfort. 

37 minutes ago, NE John said:

It seems to me that if Cunard promotes a “freestyle” cruising experience it would also mean they need more staff to monitor these “freestyling” activities. We, as pax, should not have to police and remove: the saved chair for Tea in the QR, saved loungers near the pool, or check who’s in Grills or not while on the Terrace. There is no upside for passenger vs passenger confrontations. 

You are completely right. But… a contrary part of me would find it quite entertaining if a fellow passenger challenged my right to stroll through the Grills Terrace on one of my perambulations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You are completely right. But… a contrary part of me would find it quite entertaining if a fellow passenger challenged my right to stroll through the Grills Terrace on one of my perambulations.

You contrary…no way!
I like the use of your final word above. Like an Italian evening passaggiatta. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, no1talks said:

I had considered bringing my white-tie kit in the event of a 1920s theme being on the schedule. However, I have decided against doing so because white tie was already losing ground to black tie by the advent of the 20s. Additionally, it would require another pair of shoes.

One of the men at dinner on QV last fall wore white tie for roaring 20's night. He looked splendid! But it was easy for him to carry black tie and white tie plus everything else, as he was within driving distance of Southampton. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

You contrary…no way!
I like the use of your final word above. Like an Italian evening passaggiatta. 

Is that with or without Garlic Bread? 🙂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One of the men at dinner on QV last fall wore white tie for roaring 20's night. He looked splendid! But it was easy for him to carry black tie and white tie plus everything else, as he was within driving distance of Southampton. 

Of all the packing challenges those coming long distances on stingy airlines may face, I think carrying a second bow tie would be quite low down the list. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Oldtimers will remember this on QE2 and the redoubtable Dennis Dawson, the First Class deck steward. Every morning, your chair with cushion and rug was all laid out... for you. No "saving", no confrontations. 

@WantedOnVoyage

Very Very true and very well appreciated.

My DW would the first morning on the QE2 on the Caribbean run would see Dennis and arrange the lounge she wanted for the trip. He would arrange it and place her name in the black name tag on the chair. It was all arranged. This was on the Sun Deck behind the Funnel.

Each morning she would go to her lounge, he would her, offer her water and at 11AM even if she would like to have the old tradition "Bouillon"cup. He was very good at watching everyone and make them aware when they were sunning too too long. Not to burn.

Thank you WantedOnVoyage....

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

The redoubtable Joy, Grills Concierge, par excellence, who now sadly for QA but happily for her, is now with QM2 and with officer status, patrolled deck 11 and had an uncanny sense of who wasn't Grills.

I can't see any locks being added to deck 11 gates, so maybe the old Grills symbol on cruise cards might be useful again. Of course that's supposing deck staff have the authority and are willing to exercise that authority in asking for cards and removing those not entitled to be there.

Passengers have been known to throw tantrums [as happened on our 10th May cruise] when asked to do something they don't want to do and I don't envy the staff at the sharp end trying to sort 'things' out.

Unfortunately, if the Crew, are unable or unwilling to ask someone in the MDR to dress according to the dress code, I can't see them challenging a passenger to demonstrate that they are entitled to be on the Grills deck. And if they did challenge a passenger who was in fact entitled to be there I can see all hell being let loose. As for locks on the gates, I can't see that happening due to the safety implications, incase of an emergency.

4 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

No... it was reserved. Not "saved" or hoarded. I think you appreciate the difference.

Saved - place something on it but can be taken

Reserved - As mentioned in my posting, it was tagged with passengers name and the attendant knew and would question anyone attempting to take. He learned all that belonged to those lounge.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BklynBoy8 said:

Saved - place something on it but can be taken

Reserved - As mentioned in my posting, it was tagged with passengers name and the attendant knew and would question anyone attempting to take. He learned all that belonged to those lounge.

An interesting extension to the sort of definitions you get in dictionaries.

5 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

@WantedOnVoyage

Very Very true and very well appreciated.

My DW would the first morning on the QE2 on the Caribbean run would see Dennis and arrange the lounge she wanted for the trip. He would arrange it and place her name in the black name tag on the chair. It was all arranged. This was on the Sun Deck behind the Funnel.

Each morning she would go to her lounge, he would her, offer her water and at 11AM even if she would like to have the old tradition "Bouillon"cup. He was very good at watching everyone and make them aware when they were sunning too too long. Not to burn.

Thank you WantedOnVoyage....

This man gets to sound more and more monstrous. Telling adults they have been sunbathing too much? Did he check they had cleaned their teeth?

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

This man gets to sound more and more monstrous. Telling adults they have been sunbathing too much? Did he check they had cleaned their teeth?

It was a courtesy to prevent them from not getting sick from too much suntanning.

If was very very appreciated by all with his care of them.

• Like 1