Norweigen Cruise Liquid Ban - Title 3 ADA Violation?

On 7/29/2024 at 7:34 PM, JennKach said:

I was granted permission to bring liquid sugar-free margarita mixer.  NCL is pretty sparse on low sugar bar options so it gets boring for diabetics wanting to enjoy the unlimited beverage package. The powders don't taste nearly as good.  I also bring the small liquid flavoring drops but security doesn't flag those.

not just at the bar...  even the "sugar free" deserts are dangerous territory!  

On previous NCL cruises, I've always filled out the accessible cruising questionnaire and requested for distilled water. I remember there was a specific question whether we needed distilled water to be provided. 

https://www.ncl.com/in/en/about/accessible-cruising

Today I was trying to make the same request for my December cruise, but now I do not see any option to request for distilled water. Instead the question asks whether I am bringing distilled water. 

Has NCL stopped supplying distilled water on request and do I now have to bring my own (and declare it) ?

On 7/27/2024 at 11:50 PM, NightGuardianAngel said:

I just discovered that Norwegian Cruise does not allow non-alcoholic sodas and even bottles of water onboard.  What if someone had a medical condition or a disability that impairs a major life activity and requires such accommodations, such as someone with sleep apnea that requires a CPAP machine to treat the condition?  These machines require DI water to function and would require a couple of gallons of DI water to be brought onboard.  Policies cannot conflict with Federal Law if in United States waters.

No violation what-so-ever.  NCL, upon request, will ensure that all ADA needs are fully addressed.  All one has to do is take a few seconds to read the FAQ on the NCL page to get details.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 11:50 PM, NightGuardianAngel said:

Policies cannot conflict with Federal Law if in United States waters.

If this were even a little bit true, cruise ship workers would get a massive raise every time the ship entered US waters, and would also have to pay US taxes.

But, I notice that the OP has not returned, so likely will never see the responses.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If this were even a little bit true, cruise ship workers would get a massive raise every time the ship entered US waters, and would also have to pay US taxes.

But, I notice that the OP has not returned, so likely will never see the responses.

OP has posted similar things on other boards. Seems to just be trying to stir up things. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, smallestdog said:

On previous NCL cruises, I've always filled out the accessible cruising questionnaire and requested for distilled water. I remember there was a specific question whether we needed distilled water to be provided. 

Today I was trying to make the same request for my December cruise, but now I do not see any option to request for distilled water. Instead the question asks whether I am bringing distilled water. 

Has NCL stopped supplying distilled water on request and do I now have to bring my own (and declare it) ?

I filled out the form for my cruise in October stating that I had a CPAP and needed distilled water.  I don't recall a box to check for distilled water, but I wrote in my request.  Within days NCL responded saying that it would provide the distilled water and recommended that I bring an extension cord for the machine. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mudgirlsmom said:

not just at the bar...  even the "sugar free" deserts are dangerous territory!  

There are no “sugar free” desserts on ship (or anywhere else in the world). It is no sugar added. There are lots of “sugars” in foods. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, smallestdog said:

You do not have to bring your own.

The form is: https://ncl.secure.force.com/AccessDeskForm/ 

Use Other Medical needs or (like me) Multiple Medical needs.

2 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

You do not have to bring your own.

The form is: https://ncl.secure.force.com/AccessDeskForm/ 

Use Other Medical needs or (like me) Multiple Medical needs.

Thank you. That is the online form I used previously (and was trying to use now). It looks like there may have been changes to the form.

Previously I remember a checkbox for requesting distilled water, and NCL would then reply by email to confirm that this would be available on the ship. Now it looks like the checkbox on the form is to notify NCL that I will be bringing distilled water, which is something quite different. 

I will ask my PCC if she can make the request on my behalf.

NCLform.thumb.jpg.4cce67c00ddc07b282805f019f8fa410.jpg

4 minutes ago, smallestdog said:

Thank you. That is the online form I used previously (and was trying to use now). It looks like there may have been changes to the form.

Previously I remember a checkbox for requesting distilled water, and NCL would then reply by email to confirm that this would be available on the ship. Now it looks like the checkbox on the form is to notify NCL that I will be bringing distilled water, which is something quite different. 

I will ask my PCC if she can make the request on my behalf.

NCLform.thumb.jpg.4cce67c00ddc07b282805f019f8fa410.jpg

I just checked the form and under "Breathing", the distilled water is still there. Even though it says I'm bringing it, the email that comes back to me along with the case number tells me that NCL will provide the water. And they have done so.

Once you get your case number, you can follow up with them and make sure they're going to provide it for you.

I don't have a TA or PCC, but hopefully yours can make the request and then give you the case number.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2024 at 3:31 AM, kitkat343 said:

There are several options to treat low blood sugar, such as juice, honey,  hard candy, jellybeans or gumdrops  but regular (non diet) soda is also a possibility for diabetics.  I'm not sure if NCL is required to let you bring soda if they sell it onboard, but I'd recommend contacting the disability office and seeing what they say.

Juice is free. Aside from the fact that NCL doesn't have to follow ADA laws, they typically do.  But demanding free soda when they already offer free juice that meets the need, would not be a "reasonable accommodation"

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Juice is free. Aside from the fact that NCL doesn't have to follow ADA laws, they typically do.  But demanding free soda when they already offer free juice that meets the need, would not be a "reasonable accommodation"

Totally fair.  It wasn't clear from the OP if they were demanding free soda (which I agree shouldn't be accommodated) or asking for the ability to bring soda aboard (which honestly I usually bring 5-6 sodas aboard anyway and they haven't been confiscated yet).

16 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

(which honestly I usually bring 5-6 sodas aboard anyway and they haven't been confiscated yet).

At embarkation?  In checked or carry on luggage?

59 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

At embarkation?  In checked or carry on luggage?

checked luggage.  If they confiscate it, I'd totally understand.  I just prefer the bottle cokes to the cans that are usually available for purchase.  

18 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

checked luggage.  If they confiscate it, I'd totally understand.  I just prefer the bottle cokes to the cans that are usually available for purchase.  

I really ONLY like Dr Pepper - I'd be happy to pay for it, but NCL doesn't offer it.  MSC does offer it, so Nov 2025 when MSC starts sailing from Galveston . . . 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I really ONLY like Dr Pepper - I'd be happy to pay for it, but NCL doesn't offer it.  MSC does offer it, so Nov 2025 when MSC starts sailing from Galveston . . . 

Well if you are willing to see it get confiscated, it's worth a shot.  I've brought a few sodas on all of my cruises (10 so far - I'm at sea now) and so far I've been lucky.  I'm sure someday it'll be caught and confiscated, but that's totally fine.

• Like 1

Just now, kitkat343 said:

Well if you are willing to see it get confiscated, it's worth a shot.  

I had actually considered buying some of the small (8 oz?) cans in the hopes that they wouldn't jump out during screening.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just fill a couple of old rum runners with distilled water.  Works every time.😎

I just get on the ship and order a double Crown. Wait, what are we talking about?

Edited by IAcruising
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DorothyB said:

I had actually considered buying some of the small (8 oz?) cans in the hopes that they wouldn't jump out during screening.

Not sure if cans would be a better option, I've never tried. But I can say  that I've never had my preferred Pepsi confiscated when returning to the ship after a day in port. Biggest problem was finding it in port....

The only time I had a soda with me at embarkation, it was confiscated.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for clarifying this.  The CDC strongly discourages regular tap water to be used in CPAP machines.  I just never cruised with NCL before and I am glad they do deliver the distilled water for no extra charge.  This definitely puts them in compliance with ADA.  The ban on outside sodas, to my knowledge, does not violate ADA.

Edited by NightGuardianAngel