Reusable water bottle?

Whitby100

I prefer not to drink local tap water and I do enjoy cold water to keep myself hydrated - one of the benefits of these new bottles.  Any source  the crew uses is fine by me.

11 hours ago, crzrr said:

Thanks for posting this.  Would you be able to tell me what the diameter is of the bottle?  Thanks!

Diameter is 6.5 cm, height 22 cm. And it has an sieve so you may add ice or lemon or ...

IMG_20240731_150306.thumb.jpg.802400ed067450c02e3501167a3cd9b3.jpg

• Like 7

Just back from Journey.  We didnt like the water bottles at all.

Great Idea but no thought put into it.

The water stations are spaced along the deck and carpeting removed and tiled at the station. It is motion sensitive so no need to push buttons, just place the bottle under let it fill and take it out.  It has a counter to tell you how many plastic bottles have been saved.

However the water is room temperature so you have to preplan for the next day and put it in the fridge to cool.  Ice can be put in but I dont get the sieve thingy it falls onto your face when tipping it up to drink! and ice not always available or already melted in cabin.  We also could not get rid of the metalic taste from the container. (not the chemical chlorine taste from the water) but the metal from the thermos tainted the water, it was not pleasant to drink from it.

We ended up buying a bottle of water ashore in a reasonably sturdy plastic bottle that we reused everyday.

The bottles are not ergonomically good to carry and too big to fit into my handbag.  I can usually fit a regular water bottle in their or my husband can slip one into his shorts side pocket but these are just too big with the thermal layer and the soft sponge surround and dont have a carry handle.

Like I say great idea, I'm all for saving the plastic But...

1. They need to make them easier to carry

2. They need to have a system for pouring iced water

3. Choose a different type of bottle

and finally, the cabin attendant said they are ours to keep, so we packed both of them in our hold baggage, all safely locked with a sturdy tsa lock.

On returning home I noticed the lock was missing and I know it was firmly locked, so can only assume (as the thought did cross my mind) when I placed them in our cases that side by side they might throw up something as looking suspicious.  I guess they broke the lock to examine the contents as a security protection at the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oceania  cruises have been providing  guests with their own  metal water bottles for some years and the system seems to work. They provide large flasks of water (still or sparkling) in the cabin for you to fill your bottle, which you can then put if the fridge. There are also water stations located around on some of their ships.

When flying home after the cruise I have always put the empty metal bottle in my hand luggage, in case it looks suspicious on the X rays, although I find this inconvenient   Has any one else had problems  like the previous poster, B17 after putting it in their hold luggage?

On the subject of saving the planet, is it not time Azamara did away with all those little plastic bottles of toiletries and provided large wall mounted refillable pump action bottles in the cabin bathrooms ?

• Like 4

I agree totally regarding the bottles of shampoo etc and they are so awkward to pop open too.  I also noted they have scaled down on the Box sizes if soap. We used to get large and medium now medium and small

On the subject of water stations Marella cruises place a nice water carafe in the cabin which you refill at water stations placed near the stairs wells - you can dispense cold water and ice. We use them to refill plastic bottles to take ashore.Azamara should take note   its a much better system.

20 hours ago, B17 said:

We also could not get rid of the metalic taste from the container. (not the chemical chlorine taste from the water) but the metal from the thermos tainted the water, it was not pleasant to drink from it.

This was my problem with the Oceania bottles and rather expect it to be the case here. I really can’t get past the nasty metallic taste, so while I support the elimination of single-use plastics of all types, I will continue with my reusable plastic water bottle. 

• Like 1

We recently returned from a 9 night Croatia intensive on the Journey and had the water station just outside our cabin, very convenient. Our cabin steward refilled out ice bucket with ice every evening. I was wondering if the water is the same as the tap water in the cabin. We did Explora Journeys in March and they also place metallic water bottles in your cabin on the embarkation day. See my photo for a comparison. Btw, didn't see a single plastic bottle on the Journey. We had the Ultimate Beverage Package and the Evian water was glass bottles.

20240804_165413.jpg

• Like 1

We always take our own metal thermos water bottles so we can have ice cold water on a hot excursion or when DH has dragged me up the 1350 steps to the top of the Kotor walls. 

The ice water served in windows is perfect as the ice cubes are small enough to easily pour into our bottles.

I was appalled at how many plastic water bottles we threw away each day just with what we consumed on board. At home we never drink bottled water but as it was already in our cabin refrigerator we used it.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 10:59 AM, Marmaduke said:

Oceania  cruises have been providing  guests with their own  metal water bottles for some years and the system seems to work. They provide large flasks of water (still or sparkling) in the cabin for you to fill your bottle, which you can then put if the fridge. There are also water stations located around on some of their ships.

When flying home after the cruise I have always put the empty metal bottle in my hand luggage, in case it looks suspicious on the X rays, although I find this inconvenient   Has any one else had problems  like the previous poster, B17 after putting it in their hold luggage?

On the subject of saving the planet, is it not time Azamara did away with all those little plastic bottles of toiletries and provided large wall mounted refillable pump action bottles in the cabin bathrooms ?

The Oceania water bottles have one big disadvantage in that they are not double wall vacuum and tend to 'sweat' meaning your bag or wherever they are stored gets wet or damp,  particularly when its hot outside.  Are the Azamara bottles vacuum?  We are on Journey at the end of August and I'd rather not lug our own water bottles with us if there is a viable alternative. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if these are currently being supplied on Onward yet? We are on a B2B next month with our two adult daughters and it would be handy to know so we don’t have to pack our faithful Chilli bottles.  

we have been using these bottles for a couple of years and always filled them using the ice provided in our stateroom, although the water has previously come from the plastic bottles in the fridge.

As an aside, having recently been on Seabourn, they provide heavy reuseable clear plastic carafes which are not doubled walled and are awful to take out in your bag. Twin walled aluminium bottles are much better. 

On 8/3/2024 at 1:29 PM, B17 said:

We also could not get rid of the metallic taste from the container.(not the chemical chlorine taste from the water) but the metal from the thermos tainted the water, it was not pleasant to drink from it.

Indeed. For this reason, we did not use the water bottles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 7:40 AM, Dynacruiser said:

I have been in Pursuit this year and haven't received a bottle yet 😪   

My personal view as a germaphobe:  water bottles are great when I'm at home, where I can properly wash them AND completely dry them daily.  However, during a cruise with a heavy port-intensive schedule, it would require too much effort to keep them germ free.  I couldn't find a trustworthy source for germ info, just this random website.

I am not trying to convince anybody, I realize many people have logged thousands of travel hours with reusable bottles with no health issues.    However, I prefer bottled water when I travel.    I promise you, dear Earth, that I will reuse and recycle as much as I can every day when I'm home.

(Of course, don't bring up the bottled water problems when Azamara was in South Africa, which contradicts my support for bottled water).

They had an issue with the bottled water in South Africa last season. Although it was bottled, a lot of people got ill from it. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 4:59 AM, Marmaduke said:

We are about to go on Azamara in December and we were on Oceania earlier this year (LOVE the R Class ships!). I was very happy with the Vero water set up on Oceania and we always had plenty of water and plenty of ice in our cabin. We had a “Penthouse” so we asked our butler for it to be replenished often. We thought the water tasted fine. The water bottles as gifts were a nice touch. We always had two, one liter glass bottles of Vero water at all times in our cabin…replenished 2-3 times daily.

I was hoping Azamara might have the same set up…but maybe not? I am seeing that they apparently give you water bottles, but you have to fill them yourselves around the ship? They don’t provide water in the cabins? We are in a suite and I hope I won’t have to run around finding water stations to keep water in our suite! I will be sailing with my elderly parents and keeping three bottles full would keep me busy if it is not provided in the suite!