Aug 2026 HAL Solar Eclipse Itineraries

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Any idea as how much the 35 day cruise in July 2026 round trip Boston will cost?

love the idea of no flights.

I am puzzled by some on the HAL boards.  You want the \cost?  Just go to any decent cruise agency web site where they will have a cruise search engine.  You simply put in the info to pull up the cruise, and it will show the price of all the available categories along with any "bonuses" provided by HAL and the cruise agency.  There are days when I will price-out 10-20 different cruises (with different cruise lines) in a few minutes by using some of these web sites  And you do not need to book with any of these agencies to get the info.

I will warn you that the 35 day cruise (known as the Voyage of the Vikings) is one of the most expensive (on a per passenger day) cruise in the HAL repertoire.  We have taken the VOV, twice, and it remains one of our favorite HAL cruise itineraries.  But we recently noticed that "Barry from Boston" who is an interesting piano bar player/singer who used to do the annual VOV cruise, is now working for Celebrity!  When HAL decided to do away with their piano bars, they lost some of the best piano bar personalities in the business.  Darn shame.

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am puzzled by some on the HAL boards.  You want the \cost?  Just go to any decent cruise agency web site where they will have a cruise search engine.  You simply put in the info to pull up the cruise, and it will show the price of all the available categories along with any "bonuses" provided by HAL and the cruise agency.  There are days when I will price-out 10-20 different cruises (with different cruise lines) in a few minutes by using some of these web sites  And you do not need to book with any of these agencies to get the info.

I will warn you that the 35 day cruise (known as the Voyage of the Vikings) is one of the most expensive (on a per passenger day) cruise in the HAL repertoire.  We have taken the VOV, twice, and it remains one of our favorite HAL cruise itineraries.  But we recently noticed that "Barry from Boston" who is an interesting piano bar player/singer who used to do the annual VOV cruise, is now working for Celebrity!  When HAL decided to do away with their piano bars, they lost some of the best piano bar personalities in the business.  Darn shame.

Hank

Sorry to puzzle you, but I went on several sites and it was not listed yet.

24 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

HAL is show the 35 day starting at $7809 for an inside

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise/e6t35a/u659

25 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

HAL is show the 35 day starting at $7809 for an inside

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise/e6t35a/u659

Thank you.  I remembered reading that the cruise would be posted today.  This particular cruise excites me.

• Like 1

Never looked at a cruise this far ahead. Disappointing, but not surprising that HAL is holding back rooms. As much as we would love to do a 30+ day cruise, we just can't be away from home that long.

Hope they open up smaller segments sooner rather than later. Each half of the Zuiderdam's VoV is listed on HAL's site, but is "unavailable".

5 minutes ago, mabba18 said:

Never looked at a cruise this far ahead. Disappointing, but not surprising that HAL is holding back rooms. As much as we would love to do a 30+ day cruise, we just can't be away from home that long.

Hope they open up smaller segments sooner rather than later. Each half of the Zuiderdam's VoV is listed on HAL's site, but is "unavailable".

Isn't the Oosterdam cruise only 13 days? That cruise would potentially have better weather for viewing.

On 7/29/2024 at 5:13 AM, johnnyswitzerland said:

Came across these announcements about Holland America itineraries for the solar eclipse in 2026:

Looks like these will be bookable this Wednesday, 31 July.

I'm pretty excited about this after having read about others' experiences on HAL during this year's total solar eclipse.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Isn't the Oosterdam cruise only 13 days? That cruise would potentially have better weather for viewing.

A Mediterranean cruise doesn't appeal to us. We are far more interested in northern ports. Not fans of heat, and the flights would be much easier.

Plus, we'd take the chance on the weather, for an extra 45 seconds of totality 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Scottiemac said:

Just booked the eclipse cruise from Lisbon to Athens on the Oosterdam. Pretty excited although it’s 2 years away. $600 deposit for each of us is a little high. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mabba18 said:

A Mediterranean cruise doesn't appeal to us. We are far more interested in northern ports. Not fans of heat, and the flights would be much easier.

Plus, we'd take the chance on the weather, for an extra 45 seconds of totality 😁

I hear you!  And Oosterdam will have to travel north from Lisbon to be 100% in the path of totality.  Those in and around Iceland will have a more spectacular show, all weather-dependent as you say.  If I could take the time I'd be there.  I hope it will still be amazing for all of us!

• Like 1

I booked Viking to pair with a visit to Spain, but that Oosterdam cruise does look tempting...  Much more reasonably priced than Sky Princess, $4,300 for an inside cabin!  I don't even know how on top of it the airlines and hotels will be, especially that I am counting on using Alaskan Miles to get to Europe for cheap. 

• Like 1

We're now booked on Oosterdam, thanks to those who started and contributed to this thread.  It is going to be nice flying into Portugal, and back from Greece, without inflated hotel and airfare pricing, and general tourist congestion on land.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 12:47 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We're now booked on Oosterdam, thanks to those who started and contributed to this thread.  It is going to be nice flying into Portugal, and back from Greece, without inflated hotel and airfare pricing, and general tourist congestion on land.

Welcome aboard, @Stateroom_Sailor!  Can't wait for this one.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:43 PM, johnnyswitzerland said:

I hear you!  And Oosterdam will have to travel north from Lisbon to be 100% in the path of totality.  Those in and around Iceland will have a more spectacular show, all weather-dependent as you say.  If I could take the time I'd be there.  I hope it will still be amazing for all of us!

Just wanted to self-correct here.  I realized that we're not setting off for eclipse viewing straight out of Lisbon, but rather, will be at sea between Alicante and Barcelona at the time.  And we'll be directly within the path of totality.  Here's hoping for excellent weather somewhere in the area!

Eclipse map:  https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2026-august-12

Edited by johnnyswitzerland
Edited to add map link
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 5:52 AM, johnnyswitzerland said:

Welcome aboard, @Stateroom_Sailor!  Can't wait for this one.

Thanks, we're looking forward too.  The 13-Day is already starting to inch up in price.  Even the 28-Day and 35 Day voyages are stared close to their normal pricing.  For anyone thinking of these sailings, I wouldn't wait long while prices are more than fair. 

• Like 1

Are these cruises where you would benefit from purchasing CO and getting a free upgrade?  Even on the Oosterdam it seems like with all the ports CO would be beneficial.  JMO. Cherie  

Just booked the 13-day trip on Oosterdam. Really glad we've got a year and a half to fully pay for it! Being in the path of totality is a bucket list item; looking at the dates and locations of future total solar eclipses, this eclipse is the most doable for us. The August 2, 2027 eclipse has possibilities for those who "miss the boat," i.e., wait too long to book only to discover all 2026 eclipse cruises are sold out.

https://time.com/4897581/total-solar-eclipse-years-next/

• Like 1