Royal Caribbean International tablet app

I have a Royal Caribbean app on my phone that works fine, but I hate trying to do anything with such a tiny device.

I have a Samsung tablet and would like to get the app for it, but searching Google PlayStore with the tablet shows only "My RCL", which is an app for applying for an RCI job.

If I search for the app using my desktop computer, I can find the Royal Caribbean International app that looks (on the PC) like my phone. But, if I try to click to install onto my Samsung tablet the PC screen says it is not compatible for my Samsung tablet. What the heck?

image.png.fb470dcd35d8ed5faccb90daf0c51fa0.png

Anyone have any luck downloading the android app to their Samsung android tablet? If so, I'd like to know the exact app name and the device on which you installed it. I know I can always use my phone, but as I said earlier, I'd rather use the larger tablet.

It would really be nice if I could find the app for my Amazon Fire tablet as I prefer it to the Samsung one, but I don't believe that's available for Fire.

Doug

I too have a Samsung tablet and the app hasnt been compatible for quite some time. I asked and they said it was my tablet not up to the task. Baloney. Worked fine, they quit supporting tablets like ours. Its royal IT. 

I have to access from my phone though I do wifi on my tablet. 

I have a semi-recent (about 2 year old) Samsung tablet which is not shown as compatible when searching for the app on Play Store.  In all likelihood Royal hasn't gotten around to (or chose not to) validate the app on certain versions of Android's operating system. 

Depending on your comfort level, you could download the APK files from somewhere like apkmirror.com and install it to your tablet.  It PROBABLY will install and PROBABLY will work completely fine.  (I did a test install and it definitely installed on mine and certainly starts up and looks fine but that's just a cursory glance.)  HOWEVER...there is always a risk involved here and you have to decide your tolerance for risk.  

Do I think there's a significant risk of a problem w/using it on my tablet?  No.  I've previously used this technique to install some ancient games that worked on older tablets but were never updated for newer tablets so I could continue playing on new gear and I've never had a problem in those cases.  But an old game is a "low risk" scenario to me.  If something were to go wrong I'm not going to be impacted that much. The worst is that I won't be able to play the game.

However, given that the Royal app can do financial transactions (and given that I normally use my PC for all online activities and don't mind using my phone when my PC isn't available) I consider the risk of forcing it onto my table is more than I'm willing to accept in this case.  MAYBE everything would work perfectly...but MAYBE my version of Android actually has bugs in library code that puts my credit card data at risk.  MAYBE my version of Android has bugs that will cause data corruption during updates of my account.  So even though my technique would probably be OK, I'm not actually willing to do it myself and I do NOT recommend you do it.  However, you asked "can I run this supposedly unsupported app on my tablet?" and this technique almost certainly allows you to do that.  It is up to you to decide whether you are comfortable with the unknown - and possibly non-existent - risks.

5 minutes ago, dstein said:

I have a semi-recent (about 2 year old) Samsung tablet which is not shown as compatible when searching for the app on Play Store.  In all likelihood Royal hasn't gotten around to (or chose not to) validate the app on certain versions of Android's operating system. 

Depending on your comfort level, you could download the APK files from somewhere like apkmirror.com and install it to your tablet.  It PROBABLY will install and PROBABLY will work completely fine.  (I did a test install and it definitely installed on mine and certainly starts up and looks fine but that's just a cursory glance.)  HOWEVER...there is always a risk involved here and you have to decide your tolerance for risk.  

Do I think there's a significant risk of a problem w/using it on my tablet?  No.  I've previously used this technique to install some ancient games that worked on older tablets but were never updated for newer tablets so I could continue playing on new gear and I've never had a problem in those cases.  But an old game is a "low risk" scenario to me.  If something were to go wrong I'm not going to be impacted that much. The worst is that I won't be able to play the game.

However, given that the Royal app can do financial transactions (and given that I normally use my PC for all online activities and don't mind using my phone when my PC isn't available) I consider the risk of forcing it onto my table is more than I'm willing to accept in this case.  MAYBE everything would work perfectly...but MAYBE my version of Android actually has bugs in library code that puts my credit card data at risk.  MAYBE my version of Android has bugs that will cause data corruption during updates of my account.  So even though my technique would probably be OK, I'm not actually willing to do it myself and I do NOT recommend you do it.  However, you asked "can I run this supposedly unsupported app on my tablet?" and this technique almost certainly allows you to do that.  It is up to you to decide whether you are comfortable with the unknown - and possibly non-existent - risks.

I did this. Someone posted the apk and I was able to download it and used it for one cruise. Couldnt update it so didnt last but I did this and used it. This isn't a new problem.

Tablet used to work then they stopped supporting it. 

Posted (edited)

I'm still using it on my tablet. Whenever they decide to force an update I go back to https://m.apkpure.com/royal-caribbean-international/com.rccl.royalcaribbean/download and try versions to get one that works. It's a play store delivery block, not a functionality issue. Currently using version 1.54.0

Just downloaded/installed latest 1.56.2 and all's good 😉

Edited by GJustice

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

What the heck?

RCI can't be bothered to check compatibility of various tablets so they simply made the play/app store incompatible with them - even though as reported above, some still do indeed work.

• Like 1

I used a  Smart Switch app to transfer the Royal  app to my tablet a couple of times but it only worked for a few days and then it said it needed to be updated which I couldn't do. I gave up

Posted (edited)

I do this for my Samsung tablet. Do a Google search for Royal Caribbean app apk file. You will find several sites that offer the file. Download the newest apk file and after it downloads find the file in your downloads, click on it and it should install fine. I have to do this about once a year for my tablet.

Edited by Jcol5786
spelling

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I too have a Samsung tablet and the app hasnt been compatible for quite some time. I asked and they said it was my tablet not up to the task. Baloney. Worked fine, they quit supporting tablets like ours. Its royal IT. 

I have to access from my phone though I do wifi on my tablet. 

Thanks. I have to agree with you; it's something else. The app works fine on my cell phone. I don't cruise RCI a lot, the last time was about 3-4 years ago, and I used my laptop onboard for everything, including going to RoyalCaribbean.com. But I thought I'd go lighter this next cruise and leave the laptop at home.

Odd attitude on RCI's part. I think there are a lot of Samsung tablets among their cruisers. Maybe it's just me and most would use their smart phone.....and maybe their eyes are better than my old 'uns?🤓

Doug

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dstein said:

Depending on your comfort level, you could download the APK files from somewhere like apkmirror.com and install it to your tablet.  It PROBABLY will install and PROBABLY will work completely fine.  (I did a test install and it definitely installed on mine and certainly starts up and looks fine but that's just a cursory glance.)  HOWEVER...there is always a risk involved here and you have to decide your tolerance for risk. ...........

Yeah, I considered doing that a few years ago. I had and still do have several Amazon Fires I use mainly for books (90%), email (5%) and the internet (5%). I like Fires and especially their prices. In lieu of modifying my Fire, I figured I'd just get a "real" tablet for cruising, which I did a few years back. I got the Samsung for a Princess cruise I think it was several years ago because I did not want to use my phone on board.

I'm pretty computer savvy, I retired from that industry about 20 years ago, but I am loathe to modify any operating system if there is a workable alternative; which they is, my phone. I'll grit my teeth and use it........

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, promedic said:

Go to play store on your phone. Go to manage apps and "send" app to your tablet. Works fine on my Galaxy s9+ tablet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that suggestion, I will try that. I'm not that hopeful it will work though...and it's not a big deal if it won't.

Doug

55 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I used a  Smart Switch app to transfer the Royal  app to my tablet a couple of times but it only worked for a few days and then it said it needed to be updated which I couldn't do. I gave up

Sounds like the logical thing to do! I will try the suggestion by ProMedic above and it that fails; so be it.

55 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

I do this for my Samsung tablet. Do a Google search for Royal Caribbean app apk file. You will find several sites that offer the file. Download the newest apk file and after it downloads find the file in your downloads, click on it and it should install fine. I have to do this about once a year for my tablet.

Hmmmmmm, sounds like a good project for a rainy day....I may try that ...once. The only reason I'd like the app to work is we have decided to not fly to cruises anymore, which means sticking with whatever cruise lines sails from NOLA in our case. That's Carnival, NCL and RCI and very occasionally Disney. We avoid Carnival, we're not interested in Disney, so that leaves the two three-letter ones. If RCI has an interesting itinerary or decent price we may sail with them again.

Doug

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Sounds like the logical thing to do! I will try the suggestion by ProMedic above and it that fails; so be it.

That isn't working for me.  All I get is a spinning circle when I try to send it.  I even synced my tablet to the phone uninstalled the Royal app and reinstalled it on the phone and it did not go to the tablet.   I looked at the APK thing but didn't like the thought of downloading all the stuff they wanted me to.  Good luck

Edited by molly361

1 hour ago, promedic said:

Go to play store on your phone. Go to manage apps and "send" app to your tablet. Works fine on my Galaxy s9+ tablet. Hope this helps.

Up to now I have been downloading APKs, & using third party installers to sideload, with success but all the time keeping fingers crossed that I am not letting anything dodgy into my tablet in the background.

Few minutes after using your "send to tablet" tip my Royal app is updated and working just fine on an old Lenovo tab.

Would have never thought of it myself... THANKS

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

That isn't working for me.  All I get is a spinning circle when I try to send it.  I even synced my tablet to the phone uninstalled the Royal app and reinstalled it on the phone and it did not go to the tablet.   I looked at the APK thing but didn't like the thought of downloading all the stuff they wanted me to.  Good luck

Ah, I probably won't bother......thanks for that update.

2 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Ah, I probably won't bother......thanks for that update.

I got it to work  I had to change permissions in my settings  not the APK thing but the transfer via Playstore one

22 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I have a Royal Caribbean app on my phone that works fine, but I hate trying to do anything with such a tiny device.

I have a Samsung tablet and would like to get the app for it, but searching Google PlayStore with the tablet shows only "My RCL", which is an app for applying for an RCI job.

If I search for the app using my desktop computer, I can find the Royal Caribbean International app that looks (on the PC) like my phone. But, if I try to click to install onto my Samsung tablet the PC screen says it is not compatible for my Samsung tablet. What the heck?

image.png.fb470dcd35d8ed5faccb90daf0c51fa0.png

Anyone have any luck downloading the android app to their Samsung android tablet? If so, I'd like to know the exact app name and the device on which you installed it. I know I can always use my phone, but as I said earlier, I'd rather use the larger tablet.

It would really be nice if I could find the app for my Amazon Fire tablet as I prefer it to the Samsung one, but I don't believe that's available for Fire.

Doug

It works on mine Galaxy Tab S6 Lite SM-P619 and shows in the Playstore.

My tablet can take a Sim although I don't have one installed.

Maybe that's the difference.

1 hour ago, Occi said:

It works on mine Galaxy Tab S6 Lite SM-P619 and shows in the Playstore.

My tablet can take a Sim although I don't have one installed.

Maybe that's the difference.

Thanks. Mine Samsung tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, SM-T220. I think that model is their "El Cheapo Deluxe" Samsung tablet maybe? I think I paid about $140 for mine a few years ago, and I see yours probably cost about twice that.

I suppose that's the reason, but who'd think there would be so much difference between too similar sounding models.

In any event, I can live with the app on a tablet (at least at that price!) I'll just continue to squint at my phone's screen and fat-finger my entries.😁

Doug

• Haha 1