Sun Princess Dining Venue Shift in October

Just read a notation on the cruisedeckplans website that there is going to be a shift in some of the dining venues in October.  It didn't say if it would be on the TA or once it got to FLL.

Butcher Block would move to Crown Grill.  Crown Grill would move to Reserve Dining Room.  Catch by Rudi would move to Signature Dining Room.

American Diner would move to deck 9 aft.  Sanctuary Collection would move to deck 8 aft.

This would appease those who did not like that Butcher Block and Catch by Rudi were relegated to a section of the buffet area instead of their own dedicated sectioned off area.

Has anyone else read about these changes anywhere?

4 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Just read a notation on the cruisedeckplans website that there is going to be a shift in some of the dining venues in October.  It didn't say if it would be on the TA or once it got to FLL.

Butcher Block would move to Crown Grill.  Crown Grill would move to Reserve Dining Room.  Catch by Rudi would move to Signature Dining Room.

American Diner would move to deck 9 aft.  Sanctuary Collection would move to deck 8 aft.

This would appease those who did not like that Butcher Block and Catch by Rudi were relegated to a section of the buffet area instead of their own dedicated sectioned off area.

Has anyone else read about these changes anywhere?

Yes, this originally raised a couple of months back and discussed in this thread

No official confirmation as yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LAS!!1414 said:

The deck plans on the Princess website for the Sun lists Oct 14 -- after the TA.  

Oct 14 is when Sanctuary Collection kicks in, this is the the keystrokes to recategorize the cabins. 

There's been zero word from Princess on movement of any dining venues. That will almost certainly take more than a few hours on one day  - to change decor, signage, familiarize staff, etc. 

13 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Oct 14 is when Sanctuary Collection kicks in, this is the the keystrokes to recategorize the cabins. 

There's been zero word from Princess on movement of any dining venues. That will almost certainly take more than a few hours on one day  - to change decor, signage, familiarize staff, etc. 

hopefully happens on the TAtlantic, but there is also a 3 day 'gap' from when SUN P ports in PE and the next scheduled cruise on the 14th ...

maybe a 3 day cruise for TAgents and VIP's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

hopefully happens on the TAtlantic, but there is also a 3 day 'gap' from when SUN P ports in PE and the next scheduled cruise on the 14th ...

maybe a 3 day cruise for TAgents and VIP's?

The gap from Oct 9 to 14th is VIP, TA, etc cruises.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

The gap from Oct 9 to 14th is VIP, TA, etc cruises.  

correct - 5 days - plenty of time for the conversion(s)

will us commoners be used to fill the ship after the vips

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

correct - 5 days - plenty of time for the conversion(s)

will us commoners be used to fill the ship after the vips

You honestly think they'll be doing a massive movement/realignment of multiple dining venues, while VIPs and such are aboard?  

I guess we'll see...

I suppose we lose something but gain something else.

While we lose access to an exclusive Signature restaurant and now have to dine in a much larger Sanctuary restaurant, some of the specialty restaurants will move to nicer facilities (the prior Reserve and Signature restaurants) from the rear of the buffet area.

This will encourage us to eat more at specialty dining and reduce our visits to the Sanctuary restaurant.

• Like 2

My guess...  This will be undertaken on the TA...  As mentioned,  that October 14th date could be key.  They would have to have to have a larger Sanctuary/Signature class dining option available When that sailing begins.  (but, again, we ARE talking about Princess)

Just took a quick look at the TransAtlantic,  and it seems pretty heavily booked.

I am thinking sometimes these are not close to full capacity?  And Princess hoped this would happen, and would make the TA a good time to do this.

It is possible that they have this all planned and ready.  It might be able to be done fairly quickly.

Perhaps somebody on the TA can tell us what the availability of these Specialty restaurants has looked like???  Were the available earlier... and has it seemed that availability has disappeared for certain nights?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just checked the app, crown grill, butcher block and rudi's all have availability throughout the TA.  I checked several difference dates in the last week of the cruise and a couple earlier.

Being on the TA I sure hope they are not working on the cutover in a way that negatively impacts our cruise.  Save the work for the the gap between the TA and first public sailing on the 14th.  I'm assuming those VIPs and agents are on the boat for free, so they can deal with the change over inconvenience in my highly biased opinion.

As some have speculated, the change over may be easy enough, some minor decor changes, signage, equipment/dish moves and they are off and running.

Edited by rmsmith
  • Like 1