Is swimming(not lap swimming) of any nature feasible to enjoy in The Retreat Pool on The Discovery Princess?

Speedy54

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

I am a retired mental health professional who since my retirement has become an avid swimmer. I "will survive" if the best I can do on our upcoming cruise 

to Alaska is to walk/jog on their track to stay in shape.. Yet, I'd love to be able to swim from wall to wall even if it is only 5-10 yards. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Regards,

Mitchell Milch

Fair Lawn, NJ

It's possible to do some swimming. In Alaska the pools should not be overcrowded. The pools are really more for just hanging or moving around and not really for laps. If you really want aerobic exercise probably better to walk or run on the deck 18 track. I remember it being 7 laps/mile, but my memory may be off a little. There may also be a no charge Zumba like session each day. Check out the activity listings.   

1 hour ago, skynight said:

It's possible to do some swimming. In Alaska the pools should not be overcrowded. The pools are really more for just hanging or moving around and not really for laps. If you really want aerobic exercise probably better to walk or run on the deck 18 track. I remember it being 7 laps/mile, but my memory may be off a little. There may also be a no charge Zumba like session each day. Check out the activity listings.   

Thank you very much skynight.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Yes. The pool is only about 3 feet deep but it’s long enough to get some exercise. Not sure why you said “not lap swimming” because isn’t that exactly what you want to do?

Fair enough, although I would not consider swimming 10 feet from one side of a wading pool to another, lap swimming. Thanks for writing, Sox Fan Cruiser

Posted (edited)

I have been on the Enchanted Princess twice, which I believe has the identical setup for the Retreat pool. 
I swam almost every morning but I did have to go early before the pool filled up.  It was usually very quiet before the bar opened.

We were on Caribbean cruises, so all the pools were busy during the day, swimming would have been difficult later in the day.

Edited by OttawaCA
  • Like 1

On Sky, there was a guy every morning using a strap to "swim laps" in the main pool.  I'm sure you could do something like that if you had the strap.  

3 hours ago, OttawaCA said:

I have been on the Enchanted Princess twice, which I believe has the identical setup for the Retreat pool. 
I swam almost every morning but I did have to go early before the pool filled up.  It was usually very quiet before the bar opened.

We were on Caribbean cruises, so all the pools were busy during the day, swimming would have been difficult later in the day.

Thanks OttowaCA. I will keep it in mind to do so before breakfast.

Agree with the above comments.   Be aware, that the outdoor pools on princess tend to be fairly cold.  Ok, once you get swimming, but a ***** getting in.  Warmer pools on the Grand class ships that have an enclosed pool.

12 hours ago, Speedy54 said:

Thank you very much skynight.

I grew up in Fair Lawn where my family owned property since around 1880. McBride Industrial Park and 208 as well as the Elmary Pl homes were part of the family property. At one time 8 related families had homes on the original property. Today, one remains on Elmary Place, named after my grandmother. 

On 8/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, PATRLR said:

On Sky, there was a guy every morning using a strap to "swim laps" in the main pool.  I'm sure you could do something like that if you had the strap.  

What did they attach it to?

18 hours ago, skynight said:

I grew up in Fair Lawn where my family owned property since around 1880. McBride Industrial Park and 208 as well as the Elmary Pl homes were part of the family property. At one time 8 related families had homes on the original property. Today, one remains on Elmary Place, named after my grandmother. 

Thank you for your cherished history lesson. If I could enter a time tunnel I'd love a few glimpses of Fair Lawn, circa 1880. I have lived in The Radburn section, a stone's throw from "The R Pool" for 15 years. 

3 hours ago, MacMadame said:

What did they attach it to?

yeah, I was wondering the same thing but there was some sort of hook there that he could connect to.  

Just now, PATRLR said:

yeah, I was wondering the same thing but there was some sort of hook there that he could connect to.  

Cool!

Maybe I'll bring one too. I really do like to *swim* when in the pool.