NCL Box Lunch from Buffet

Going to Catalina Island, DR and understand that NCL gives out a Box Lunch from the Buffet to take to the island since there is no food on the island. Does anyone know what is in the Box Lunch? Not looking for exact items, just an idea.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

I have been on about 10 cruises with NCL over the past 5 years and never heard of this.

Catalina Island, DR has no restaurants or food. Read to go to the buffet for a box lunch on the CC boards and on the site that is not to be mentioned. Here is a link to the review where NCL told passengers to pick up a box lunch at the buffet 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We did this on a cruise shortly after pandemic.  I liked it.  When you went to the buffet for breakfast you got an empty box and were allowed to fill it with what you wanted.  It was a nice beach day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrsegrl said:

We did this on a cruise shortly after pandemic.  I liked it.  When you went to the buffet for breakfast you got an empty box and were allowed to fill it with what you wanted.  It was a nice beach day.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

The whole thing sounds bizarre. 

First the rules for every port are the same. You may not take food off the ship. 

Second, taking food off the breakfast buffet ashore for lunch just invites food poisoning from food not kept at proper temperatures. 

I could see it as a one-off after the pandemic, but tour providers provide their own lunches prepared and held at a proper temperature for beach days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

First the rules for every port are the same. You may not take food off the ship. 

Second, taking food off the breakfast buffet ashore for lunch just invites food poisoning from food not kept at proper temperatures. 

I could see it as a one-off after the pandemic, but tour providers provide their own lunches prepared and held at a proper temperature for beach days. 

Catalina Island is a nature preserve no food on the island that is why they allow it to be taken off ship. As you can see from the review above it was almost 2 years after the pandemic and cruises started back up.

I will definitely report back after we go in December

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to look at the luxury lines where they set up elaborate picnics ashore with food brought from the ship. The rules are not the same for every port, though the mass market lines would have you believe that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Except that "the rules for every port" are NOT the same.  Have you been to Catalina Island with NCL?   Well, I have, during the winter of 2023.   The Freestyle Daily plainly said that a box lunch could be picked up that morning in the buffet.

Catalina Island is essentially deserted.  It's gorgeous; a separated bunch of beautiful beaches, and some trails.  There was no food or even water available to buy nor made available on the island when we were there.  (However, there were facilities available for a big buffet meal to be served, as on cruise lines' private islands. But the DR as I understand it controls Catalina, so who knows what NCL could or could not have arranged there.)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Going to Catalina Island, DR and understand that NCL gives out a Box Lunch from the Buffet to take to the island since there is no food on the island. Does anyone know what is in the Box Lunch? Not looking for exact items, just an idea.

As you can see from my comment above, we visited Catalina Island with NCL during the winter of 2023 on a Panama Canal cruise.  The Freestyle Daily said a boxed lunch could be picked up that morning in the buffet, so don't let anyone tell you that there's some universal rule applicable to all ports that no food can be taken off the ship.

I'm sorry I can't help you as to what was in the boxed lunch, as we didn't pick them up.  Our plan was to get a very early tender, and spend a few hours ashore.   (We might have picked up the boxes had NCL told guests that no food or water would be available on the island.  Fortunately, we always have water with us.)   The beach was gorgeous and we really enjoyed our time there. 

I did post a review of that cruise with lots of photos, so if you care to take a look, here's the link  (my thoughts about Catalina Island and the photos are at Comment 68):

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

As you can see from my comment above, we visited Catalina Island with NCL during the winter of 2023 on a Panama Canal cruise.  The Freestyle Daily said a boxed lunch could be picked up that morning in the buffet, so don't let anyone tell you that there's some universal rule applicable to all ports that no food can be taken off the ship.

I'm sorry I can't help you as to what was in the boxed lunch, as we didn't pick them up.  Our plan was to get a very early tender, and spend a few hours ashore.   (We might have picked up the boxes had NCL told guests that no food or water would be available on the island.  Fortunately, we always have water with us.)   The beach was gorgeous and we really enjoyed our time there. 

I did post a review of that cruise with lots of photos, so if you care to take a look, here's the link  (my thoughts about Catalina Island and the photos are at Comment 68):

Thank you so much for your reply! This helps tremendously! I will go and read your review!

• Like 1