Starlink device on your cruise for internet

5 minutes ago, Retiring2023 said:

Any recent feed back about wifi on transatlantic cruises?  We are booked April 12 2025 Ft Lauderdale to Rotterdam. 

We used the internet on Zuiderdam in May, June and July; the first week and last week of our cruise were transatlantics.  WiFi worked great.  First transatlantic was premium and last transatlantic was surf.  Same speed.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Retiring2023 said:

Any recent feed back about wifi on transatlantic cruises?  We are booked April 12 2025 Ft Lauderdale to Rotterdam. 

Worked great on the World cruise earlier this year and in Alaska -- all the way to Nome -- in June.

• Like 3

If you know how, turn off MAC randomization when connecting to the ship's network. Otherwise, your device will present itself with a new MAC (hardware) device ID every time you move between access point areas.

Please note that this is all on your phone, tablet, or laptop operating system. The ship's network has nothing to do with it. You will keep presenting yourself as a "new" device and you'll have to log in to verify the "new" machine. Check your Android or iOS documentation for instructions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Retiring2023 said:

We had it on a recent (March-April) TA with Oceania.  Our service was very good, throughout the voyage.  But keep in mind that having a decent Satellite link is only 1 part of the formula that brings you decent Internet.  Much depends on the onboard equipment (switches, routers, boosters, etc) and how the communications folks allocate the available bandwidth, and the actual amount of bandwidth (which is bought by the cruise line).  On the Oceania Vista, I recall seeing 6 separate Starlink antennas.  In our experience, with many cruise lines, HAL has usually ranked among the slowest for Internet, but we have only cruised on the older (nothing newer than Vista class) HAL vessels.

Hank

• Like 1

The Starlink now offered on all ships is excellent.  There are the occasional spots and there are according to rumor some rooms that may present problems but in general it is excellent (I am writing from the Arctic circle now). I sailed transpacific this spring with excellent coverage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

... (I am writing from the Arctic circle now).

Congrats and enjoy the weather - wish I had stowed away in your luggage. Local weatherman last night said we are going into the highest temps (so far) of the summer ☀️ 

August in TX 🫠

I am thrilled to hear the internet is performing in most places - sure will help w/working while onboard.

• Like 1