Queen Mary mechanical condition

GG222

We completed a QM2 EB crossing in May.  While we understand posts about 2024 service issues, our larger concern is the apparent deteriorating mechanical condition.  The departure from SH was delayed due to a power generator mechanical issue.  Underway, QM2 left a smog trail miles wide in its stern.    Due to the smoke, we avoided the aft deck and pool.  It was even unpleasant at times walking around the aft promenade deck.  Restrooms were closed for repairs, and kept closing even after reopening.  The Planetarium was still broken due to 'audio problems.'  There were power interruptions, and stateroom water was shut off due to a broken water line.  Our balcony had more rust than on any previous Cunard cruise -- across all the Queens.  It's clearly apparent that QM2 needs engine work, deferred repairs, and deck TLC.  We hope Cunard is planning on a drydock period 'down under' this winter, because the ship schedule appears to be booked solid for 2025.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On my recent eastbound transatlantic (July 6-14), I noted the following issues:

1. Planetarium still inoperable

2. One of the “D” stairwell elevators was inoperable

3. One night there was a scheduled water shutoff for maintenance listed as 1:00am - 5:00am.  In actuality, it was apparently much shorter

4. From the 3rd day onward, the Aromatic Steam Room in the spa was offline

5. Though not needed on our voyage, one of the two gas turbines was not onboard and was being repaired.  An officer shared that it was scheduled to be reinstalled in August.

6. Not sure if this was abnormal, but, ideally, the hot tub on the grills terrace could have been hotter and the jets more powerful.

The above aside, I felt that the ship was immaculately clean and very well maintained.  There was regular preventative maintenance, painting, and general cleaning going on regularly.

Edited by vieux_carre
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GG222 said:

We completed a QM2 EB crossing in May.  While we understand posts about 2024 service issues, our larger concern is the apparent deteriorating mechanical condition.  The departure from SH was delayed due to a power generator mechanical issue. 

GG222,

If you departed from SH, weren't you on a WB and not an EB?

5 hours ago, GG222 said:

We completed a QM2 EB crossing in May.  While we understand posts about 2024 service issues, our larger concern is the apparent deteriorating mechanical condition.  The departure from SH was delayed due to a power generator mechanical issue.  Underway, QM2 left a smog trail miles wide in its stern.    Due to the smoke, we avoided the aft deck and pool.  It was even unpleasant at times walking around the aft promenade deck.  Restrooms were closed for repairs, and kept closing even after reopening.  The Planetarium was still broken due to 'audio problems.'  There were power interruptions, and stateroom water was shut off due to a broken water line.  Our balcony had more rust than on any previous Cunard cruise -- across all the Queens.  It's clearly apparent that QM2 needs engine work, deferred repairs, and deck TLC.  We hope Cunard is planning on a drydock period 'down under' this winter, because the ship schedule appears to be booked solid for 2025.  

There was a dry dock performed just in November 2023 with exterior painting, new carpeting in corridors and many public room, along with other cosmetic touches. Not sure what mechanic services were upgraded. 
According to Cunard historian Chris Frame, QM2 is mid-life with 20 years of service ahead of her (per a Utube vid earlier this summer). Better communication on what’s happening with QM2 from Cunard would be helpful though. It’s still my favorite ship. 

I am on QM2 at the moment. I haven't noticed any power or water issues, though I have experienced both in the past. We are on time, no issues with the turbines. 

The smell of smoke has always been there, whether you notice this is purely down to the weather conditions and the ship's speed. There was some smell of it on deck 12, but not on deck 7. Light breezes and a leisurely speed of progress. I haven't noticed any change there in 20 years.

Escalator D continues to have one lift out of 3 not working. And the planetarium has been out of action for a long time now. The relevant spare parts are no longer manufactured in this digital projection era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

And the planetarium has been out of action for a long time now. The relevant spare parts are no longer manufactured in this digital projection era

They should just rip out the planetarium put some more cabins in or something or a little resturant maybe.

Can they still movies in the planetarium or is the whole thing out of action?

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They should just rip out the planetarium put some more cabins in or something or a little resturant maybe.

Yes, they show movies in Illuminations, The Color Purple was on last night. And it is used for Insight / art lectures etc. It's by no means a dead space, but it's probably inefficiently used at the moment. One piece of speculation was that it could be turned into something like Bright Lights Society, so a multi-purpose space that can be used for lectures, arts and craft classes and the Catholic morning Mass during the day, and then it could be a cabaret / comedy location at night. The latter, with a bar, probably makes this attractive to Carnival's management.

• Like 2

When on Queen Anne we booked a taster on QM2. We were told that a refurb was planned for the planetarium with new equipment and led screens all round to allow a fully immersive experience, and concerts were mentioned He didn’t say when, but I heard suggestions on these boards that a dry dock is planned for spring 26. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

When on Queen Anne we booked a taster on QM2. We were told that a refurb was planned for the planetarium with new equipment and led screens all round to allow a fully immersive experience, and concerts were mentioned He didn’t say when, but I heard suggestions on these boards that a dry dock is planned for spring 26. 

That will be good. But I think at present, at the very least, it is an essential second space for day time enrichment activities on Trans-Atlantics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

The Planetarium is a number of chairs in the centre of illuminations with a dome above. Not really possible to rip it out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TowandaUK said:

That'd be good... have a New England cruise booked on QM2 for Sept 26 (given that, a gap in her itinerary now)

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

The Planetarium is a number of chairs in the centre of illuminations with a dome above. Not really possible to rip it out...

The lluminations it sounds like is going to be out of action for at least another 18 months if what is written on here is to be believed. That is a very poor state of affairs if you ask me. Something has to be done about it although I am at a loss to what when the ship is service.

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The lluminations it sounds like is going to be out of action for at least another 18 months if what is written on here is to be believed. That is a very poor state of affairs if you ask me. Something has to be done about it although I am at a loss to what when the ship is service.

The rest of Illuminations will be fine - it's only a smallish area in the centre that forms the Planetarium - the chairs there are still Ok for looking at the main screen/stage.

The Planetarium was OK, but a little dim - and lack of is not a deal breaker, and I think the same shows run at the Natural History Museum in New York if you really want to see them....certainly noticed the title of a show at the museum being exactly the same

• Like 1

Was on the westbound crossing arriving in NYC June 29. 6 day crossing.

Mechanical issues for sure, I posted same.

QM2 went from 24.5 knots down to 8 knots mid ocean. One propellor was barely operating as evidenced by the differential propellor wake. There was significant vibration aboard.

The slow down lasted 3 hours or so.

I was at the bridge observation window when an officer approached to enter - I waylaid him and asked what was going on.

He indicated that a generator failed causing the issue................

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Please , please do not suggest more cabins !

There are already noticeable crowding in venues from the added cabins on Deck 13, 2 and 3.

The Planetarium is/was a unique feature also missing from all recent QM2 advertising.

Perhaps Cunard owes guests onboard and future , plans for it.

• Like 3

Illuminations is a very useful room and can be used for lectures and films without the need to remove planetarium. Cannot see anything being done if it cannot be repaired until a decision is made with regards to the room. It will then be done at next refit and certainly will not be cabins.

• Like 2

I welcome a re-do of the underwhelming planetarium production. The animation seemed like it hasn’t been updated for years with non-HD type video. I’m sure Cunard will come up with a better production because the auditorium and planetarium are. great assets onboard QM2. Maybe some communication from Cunard will help?

• Like 2

I think the wooden floor in Illuminations behind the seating, in front of what I think is the projection area would make quite a decent dance floor. 😀💃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, D&N said:

I think the wooden floor in Illuminations behind the seating, in front of what I think is the projection area would make quite a decent dance floor. 😀💃

And what happens to the G32 when you put in this dancefloor? Given that you don't need 2 dancefloors or even 3 if you also consider the queens room which they would never remove.

Edited by ace2542

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

And what happens to the G32 when you put in this dancefloor? Given that you don't need 2 dancefloors or even 3 if you also consider the queens room which they would never remove.

That's your opinion. I could never have enough dance floors!

If they had a music act in Illuminations, all those that want a rest can sit in the seats while we dance along to the music. Safer than dancing in the aisles/stairways! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, D&N said:

That's your opinion. I could never have enough dance floors!

If they had a music act in Illuminations, all those that want a rest can sit in the seats while we dance along to the music. Safer than dancing in the aisles/stairways! 😀

But both venues coudn't run late night though QM2 is not that kind of ship. And I do agree about the dancefloors btw

I'd like to see a dance floor, even a tiny one, everywhere that music is played. Very often at a dinner dance couples get up and dance in between courses, so I'd be happy with dance floors in restaurants if there was background music. At least one night in the Chart Room whilst having our nightcap and listening to the wonderful jazz band I suggested to my wife that we foxtrot around the room on the carpet as the music would have been perfect for that. Unfortunately she refused and I felt it would look a bit silly for me dance around the room solo! 😀

1 hour ago, D&N said:

I'd like to see a dance floor, even a tiny one, everywhere that music is played. Very often at a dinner dance couples get up and dance in between courses, so I'd be happy with dance floors in restaurants if there was background music. At least one night in the Chart Room whilst having our nightcap and listening to the wonderful jazz band I suggested to my wife that we foxtrot around the room on the carpet as the music would have been perfect for that. Unfortunately she refused and I felt it would look a bit silly for me dance around the room solo! 😀

Wasn’t that a Billy Idol song from 40 years ago?- Dancing with Myself. 

From recent trends, they may be playing that Billy Idol song in the QR soon. On that note, I heard the Dire Straits’ song “Walk of Life” played in the QR and it got people up for, I guess, a quickstep. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NE John said:

Wasn’t that a Billy Idol song from 40 years ago?- Dancing with Myself. 

From recent trends, they may be playing that Billy Idol song in the QR soon. On that note, I heard the Dire Straits’ song “Walk of Life” played in the QR and it got people up for, I guess, a quickstep. 

Yes, Walk of Life worked for a solo quickstep around the living room. And a samba, or a slow cha-cha or jive.

However, poor Coco-Canel ran off in horror when I started dancing! 🤣

Not so sure about Billy Idol though. I'd need a cat-less room to find something I could fit to that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1