Question about buying wifi

We are receiving some free wifi for our next cruise.  We would like to upgrade this to unlimited.  Since we are entitled to a 20% discount because we are Sapphire can this be applied to the upgrade?

13 minutes ago, tampadee said:

We are receiving some free wifi for our next cruise.  We would like to upgrade this to unlimited.  Since we are entitled to a 20% discount because we are Sapphire can this be applied to the upgrade?

Nope. Latitudes discount is for new purchases. But if you upgrade in the first couple of days they will credit your FAS minutes and pro-rate for the remaining days.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Nope. Latitudes discount is for new purchases. But if you upgrade in the first couple of days they will credit your FAS minutes and pro-rate for the remaining days.

Actually-  i just got told the other day (via phone) that if I go to upgrade to the unlimited wifi now (before we sail) that I would have to pay full price-  BUT if I do this once on board-  then I get the 20% off that I am untitled to as sapphire......we'll see.  I did point out that other latitudes discounts- such as shore excursions -  are applied before sailing-  so confused to why the wifi would be different.  like i said-  we'll see what happens

34 minutes ago, Travelers56 said:

Actually-  i just got told the other day (via phone) that if I go to upgrade to the unlimited wifi now (before we sail) that I would have to pay full price-  BUT if I do this once on board-  then I get the 20% off that I am untitled to as sapphire......we'll see.  I did point out that other latitudes discounts- such as shore excursions -  are applied before sailing-  so confused to why the wifi would be different.  like i said-  we'll see what happens

Terms of the latitudes discount explicitly state that it does not apply to FAS upgrades.

36 minutes ago, Travelers56 said:

That has never worked with the platinum discount. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Travelers56 said:

Give it a try. But, Latitudes discounts have never been applicable to upgrades, just outright purchases at retail price. 

Posted (edited)

Any reliable consistency on how long into a cruise you can upgrade the FAS WIFI? I know some have implied Day 3 and later don't have it on 7-day itineraries....so would that mean you should be good on Days 1-5 on a 14-day? I have heard some other people indicate the offer availability depends on WIFI volume on your particular sailing and nothing to do with which day you are on in your sailing.

Some said they upgraded only when their FAS minutes had a few minutes remaining and received the credit for their full FAS amount.

I assume you can even upgrade all the way from FAS to Premium Unlimited and still get credit for your FAS?

Clear as my onboard mudslide!!

Edited by pghflyer

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Any reliable consistency on how long into a cruise you can upgrade the FAS WIFI? I know some have implied Day 3 and later don't have it on 7-day itineraries....so would that mean you should be good on Days 1-5 on a 14-day? I have heard some other people indicate the offer availability depends on WIFI volume on your particular sailing and nothing to do with which day you are on in your sailing.

Some said they upgraded only when their FAS minutes had a few minutes remaining and received the credit for their full FAS amount.

I assume you can even upgrade all the way from FAS to Premium Unlimited and still get credit for your FAS?

Clear as my onboard mudslide!!

Unfortunately it seems that there are no set rules around this. It seems like price going down for 2 days is fairly standard, but sometimes it goes down more. On my 12-day Star cruise last year I think it went down for at least 4 days, but on my 15 day TA on Gem it did not drop that much.  I  have never finished my minutes so I don't know what effect that would have. Neither have I taken advantage of the upgrade offers, but I have certainly seen them every time I have logged into my minutes. I have heard of people having different experiences though. So it seems like no set rules!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@pghflyer I looked up an old thread about this and there is something interesting in post 77. Apparently the internet manager is SUPPOSED to turn off the upgrade offer at a certain point, but they don't always do! As I have experienced...

Edit: Page 3 actually describes what I experienced on Star in July last year! And there are pictures of the offer popup

Edited by Asawi
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Star.....

as it happened-  we had a "discounted" offer once on board for the Wifi-  good for the first 48 hours only.....

so- we used our FAS minutes for the first day, then purchased at the discounted rate for the remaining 13 days

Bottom line is that - yes-  that charge was less than what they showed as the charge to upgrade prior to sailing. 

58 minutes ago, richg35 said:

One of the best parts of going on a cruise is being totally disconnected.

Except when you want to check in for your flights, confirm private excursions, book excursions when there are port changes, check the aurora forecast...

And of course follow some of the more entertaining CC posts!

• Like 1