Saint Greg's Jewels - Live - August 12, 2024

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Let me come clean with something now. I’ve been doing this for a long time and this is something  that I have never seen before.

I’m not in good standing on this ship with the entertainment staff. Doing what I do here requires me working on this at all times..especially with their bad/non-existent internet.

Entertainment has taken issue with me working on this thread during shows. It came up a couple nights ago. It was bad. I had a singer yelling at me after the show. The CD talked to me after the show. It was quite embarrassing. This is why I picked the “Lincoln” seat the last two nights. It’s as far away from everyone as I could find.

I will not knowingly cruise with this CD again. This ship is out of Boston next year which is a route I’ve been looking at…but if I do it next year it will be with Princess.

From what I can tell there isn’t an official CD schedule but I’m assuming since she’s been CD here two summers, she’ll likely be CD here next summer.

I know that you're not using the flash or video taping so what's their beef? 😡

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

I know that you're not using the flash or video taping so what's their beef? 😡

Of course not. The singer was screaming it’s disrespectful to look at your phone. CD was saying it was a problem for people behind me and the lighting people. I don’t believe it. I keep it down on my leg and the screen brightness all the way down in a situation like that.

• Like 21

36 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Of course not. The singer was screaming it’s disrespectful to look at your phone. CD was saying it was a problem for people behind me and the lighting people. I don’t believe it. I keep it down on my leg and the screen brightness all the way down in a situation like that.

As someone who worked in theater, what you do is just fine. People who keep their phones up taking video is distracting and may violate copyright laws. Sometimes even taking photos may violate copyright laws. Announcements would be made before the show starts. Think Family Feud on Carnival. 

As far as the lighting people go, that is a load of crap. On shows like that the lighting is pre-set during tech rehearsals, and during the shows the lighting cues are called out by the Stage Manager over the headsets. 😎

• Like 24

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Let me come clean with something now. I’ve been doing this for a long time and this is something  that I have never seen before.

I’m not in good standing on this ship with the entertainment staff. Doing what I do here requires me working on this at all times..especially with their bad/non-existent internet.

Entertainment has taken issue with me working on this thread during shows. It came up a couple nights ago. It was bad. I had a singer yelling at me after the show. The CD talked to me after the show. It was quite embarrassing. This is why I picked the “Lincoln” seat the last two nights. It’s as far away from everyone as I could find.

I will not knowingly cruise with this CD again. This ship is out of Boston next year which is a route I’ve been looking at…but if I do it next year it will be with Princess.

From what I can tell there isn’t an official CD schedule but I’m assuming since she’s been CD here two summers, she’ll likely be CD here next summer.

Will you get a post cruise survey?  If so…….

Also you should name the CD.

Edited by blarko
  • Like 9
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Uggh.  Not good news for me.  Don't like uptight staff.  We're doing the Jewel out of Boston next August...for now...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Uggh.  Not good news for me.  Don't like uptight staff.  We're doing the Jewel out of Boston next August...for now...

I'm on Jewel next month. 

• Like 7

@Saint Greg those tourist seasonal jobs in Alaska are popular for sure.  While it is not a lifestyle for everyone many truly enjoy it and can make a lot of cash in a brief few months.

There are many many areas in our country that offer jobs like this.

When I did a land trip in Alaska in 2014 our wait staff at one of the lodges, they work summers in Alaska at a lodge and then winters in St. Thomas at a resort!

Princess has a program wherein you earn a free cruise at the end of your work commitment.

If I had known about these jobs when I was young I would have seriously considered them, great way to see the country.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

What the heck? Out of all of the rude things people do on cruises that the CD/security intentionally ignore, this is what they choose to publicly confront??

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Driver told us a bunch of stories. He said working in Skagway is like summer camp for adults. The last cruise of the season they all go out and moon the last ship going out. One year a HAL ship mooned them back.

Our 2012 cruise to Alaska was only our second ever cruise. We took our kids who were 10 and 12 at the time. It was the last cruise of the season with that stop in Skagway. We were all aboard getting ready to sail out when our kids came in from the balcony and said that the whole ship was being mooned. We ran outside to check it out and we all had a good laugh. My husband mooned back 😂 and we were on HAL. But I don’t think this was the ship he was talking about. 

As for the CD, I’d ask for a follow up conversation and let her know how you feel about her attitude and the singers attitude. I’ve been following along on these threads for a few years and you have never come across as rude. If you don’t get any satisfaction, definitely note it on the survey. Just as we should never scream at staff, staff should not scream at guests. It makes me less likely to sail NCL. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

And now that I think about it they had weird rules with the shows last year.

The first show they closed down entry to the lower level. I don’t remember if it was at show start or a few minutes before. But if you weren’t in your seat you had to go to the upper deck.

A bunch of us were running around trying to find a place. We ran into CD in the stairwell. She said there was plenty of seating upstairs. There was none. But there were tons of open seats down stairs. I had to return to the later show that night.

At least for the last show she made an announcement about that policy. So far I’ve heard her mention that show a few times and she hasn’t said anything about it.

Anyway standing guard at the velvet show last year.

i tried to take a picture of all the empty seats and she put her hand in front of me blocking it.

IMG_5318.thumb.jpeg.1aa060e687e8e930e39bf7e201137fe6.jpeg.

So they told everyone to go upstairs and it was a lot.

upstairs full. Downstairs not full

IMG_5319.jpeg

IMG_5320.jpeg

• Like 14

The show last year was called velvet. I think they removed that from this ship because it would’ve been last night. And last night was just four singers on barstools singing Broadway songs.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

As someone who worked in theater, what you do is just fine. People who keep their phones up taking video is distracting and may violate copyright laws. Sometimes even taking photos may violate copyright laws. Announcements would be made before the show starts. Think Family Feud on Carnival. 

As far as the lighting people go, that is a load of crap. On shows like that the lighting is pre-set during tech rehearsals, and during the shows the lighting cues are called out by the Stage Manager over the headsets. 😎

And they do make an announcement on that. They also stop bar service 15 minutes before the show. What they need to do is just say no phones at all if that’s what they want. They do that on Broadway…but this isn’t Broadway. It’s a budget cruise line.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

Our 2012 cruise to Alaska was only our second ever cruise. We took our kids who were 10 and 12 at the time. It was the last cruise of the season with that stop in Skagway. We were all aboard getting ready to sail out when our kids came in from the balcony and said that the whole ship was being mooned. We ran outside to check it out and we all had a good laugh. My husband mooned back 😂 and we were on HAL. But I don’t think this was the ship he was talking about. 

As for the CD, I’d ask for a follow up conversation and let her know how you feel about her attitude and the singers attitude. I’ve been following along on these threads for a few years and you have never come across as rude. If you don’t get any satisfaction, definitely note it on the survey. Just as we should never scream at staff, staff should not scream at guests. It makes me less likely to sail NCL. 

I had it in my notes. He said the HAL ship was 2010.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I haven’t been to the martini bar. I’m just never down on that deck. But I made a point to get down there after sail away. The bar was full so I went to the one right next to it which I believe is the whiskey bar.

IMG_5267.thumb.jpeg.a30eda95cd96ddb3b82ad036dc7cc4ab.jpeg

IMG_5269.thumb.jpeg.ab000a5962caea87739763af1a68b90f.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 15

6 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Oh! I didn't know you were a Thespian!!!

NTTIATWWT

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Remember when I said they refunded me the full $80 On that excursion when I only paid $30? They fixed it by charging me $50….but it looks like they gave me a partial internet refund so it’s a wash.

For those Carnival folks wondering about the $20 service charges, they charge grats daily here instead of all at once like Carnival does.

IMG_5340.jpeg

• Like 6