Live from Celebrity Ascent Rome to Barcelona August 10, 2024.

Stockjock

15 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Enjoying the review. We are on the Ascent out of Barcelona in a fortnight and am appreciating the information. I will know what wine to order if Decoy is still unavailable.

Glad we booked a Sunset Verandah. My DW avoids the communla sun beds and tends to relax on the balcony. She may not have appreciated the IV.

We tender to Santa Margherita. I had planned to walk to Portofino. May stay in Santa Margherita although hopefully a little cooler. 

Enjoy the cruise

It sounds like we will be getting off the ship as you’re getting on. Enjoy!

Here are a few pictures from tonight’s dinner and show. Let me give you a great tip, if you see the mahi-mahi with barbecue sauce, please skip that one. I did complain as politely as I could, and the Maitre D came over and seemed genuinely concerned. Basically what it tasted like is that they cooked up a mediocre piece of mahi-mahi, drove to the supermarket, and smothered it with the cheapest, crappiest barbecue sauce they could find. so if you see this on the menu, please don’t order it. 

Then we went to see the show “awaken”, which was a little weak on the storyline, but the performance was pretty strong. They have some really good performers and some outstanding vocalists.  But again, I thought that “bridges” a couple of nights ago was quite a bit better.

IMG_3557.jpeg

IMG_3558.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3560.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg

IMG_3562.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3571.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/11/2024 at 1:38 AM, Stockjock said:

Well, I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I had my girlfriend standing outside. We hadn’t been in the room yet, and I just wanted to put something out quickly.

Here’s one where I just discussed the infinite veranda situation. Maybe you like it maybe you don’t.

Celebrity Cruises Infinite Veranda Discussion Ascent August 10, 2024. 
https://youtu.be/cwx31ginhBs

You make the time to post a very detailed video of a cabin that gets discussed here and a lot of people find interesting.  I don't see why you need to apologize to someone who clealry needs to find something to complain about for no reason, esp. when you are just trying to be helpful.  I hope you and the GF are having a great cruise!

• Like 7

Good morning from Nice, France.

So far on this trip, we have had almost no motion, and I don’t know if that’s due to the weather or the design of the ship. But I haven’t felt it rocking at all in the first four days or so.

Also, almost shockingly, I don’t think we’ve had a single issue or problem yet. Usually something pops up, but it hasn’t so far, everything has gone very smoothly and the crew is very nice and efficient.

As I mentioned earlier, the food quality is better than what I experienced on my last two Celebrity Cruises, other than the weird mahi-mahi smothered in barbecue sauce thing that I just mentioned.

Bedding is also very comfortable and the rooms are quiet.  they have locked the windows a couple of times, so I don’t love that part of it even though I probably wouldn’t have them open much. 

IMG_3602.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello, we saw your ship in Santa Margherita the other day!  We were on the Equinox tendering on the other side.  

I agree that it’s been ridiculously hot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, Stockjock said:

No air-conditioning, unfortunately. There was a little bit of shade, but that’s about it.  Bill was 115 Euro or roughly $126 USD.

sounds like inflated pricing for Tourists,  no A/C  ...and a crowded area.  But seems you made the best of it!

As for the sauces on your  main courses:  we always ask for it on the side.  Other than in BLU, Celeb seems to drown the food in sauces and gravies...not fans of that!

Edited by hcat

Enjoying your review.  How was the ride to Cinque Terre?  My husband has fear of heights and someone mentioned to him the ride is along high cliffs.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, vickykay said:

Enjoying your review.  How was the ride to Cinque Terre?  My husband has fear of heights and someone mentioned to him the ride is along high cliffs.  Thanks.

This picture may give you an idea as to the ride to Cinque Terre.  I don’t think the elevation would bother most people, but if someone has an extreme sensitivity to it, it’s hard for me to say. I thought it was a beautiful drive but again I can’t tell you how somebody might feel if they are quite sensitive to heights.

One thing I will add is that anyone booking this tour needs to have at least a reasonable level of fitness. Two of the three stops there was a lot of hill climbing, and I do mean a lot. The third and final stop had very little hill climbing, but it was tough, and it was also hot and we were very sweaty. but I think if someone was in poor health, or had mobility issues of nearly any type, they would have a hard time doing this, certainly not the first two stops.  My girlfriend said it’s not for the faint of heart.

IMG_3470.jpeg

• Like 4

Some pictures from today’s tour that started at Cannes in France, and then onto Nice, Éze, and ending up in Monaco.

While the tour was decent, the air conditioner on the bus broke down, and it was a miserably hot day, so that took out a lot of the enjoyment. I called guest services to gripe and they offered me 20% back, I told him I thought it was worth at least half off because everyone on the bus was sweating their buns off And they agreed to do that.

IMG_3607.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3646.jpeg

IMG_3651.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice review and pictures, in regards to the heat, come spend some time south of Atlanta in the summer, you wouldn’t feel so hot over there…

Keep the pics coming, I am enjoying them. 

• Haha 2

Great tour pics but a very ambitious day...Lunch spread looks great! Glad you got a credit for lack of a/c on the bus.

We are sticking closer to home these days but if we wander again,  it is  noted that summer is  VERY hot and crowded in those ports. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vickykay said:

I forgot to ask, was your tour with Italytours?  Which towns involved climbing?  Thanks again.

Vicky

The first stop was Riomaggiore which involved the most hillclimbing. The second step was Manarola which also involved a lot of hill climbing. The final stop was Monterosso de Mare where we had far away the most time and there were not a lot of hills involved.

We are not sure who the tour operator was. At first my girlfriend thought it was Italy tours, then she wasn’t sure, and then she snapped at me when I asked if she thought it was or wasn’t.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, hcat said:

Great tour pics but a very ambitious day...Lunch spread looks great! Glad you got a credit for lack of a/c on the bus.

We are sticking closer to home these days but if we wander again,  it is  noted that summer is  VERY hot and crowded in those ports. 

I have done Europe in September and October, and that was not bad at all, but the temperature is pretty miserable in early August, at least during our visit.

• Like 1

Here are a few photos from last night’s dinner. We went to the Tuscan restaurant for the second time, and I didn’t realize that the dish I ordered with the olives and tomatoes was a pasta dish because I really shouldn’t eat a lot of pasta for health and dietary reasons. But it was very good and I did eat some of it.

My girlfriend had a carbonara dish which wasn’t bad, but it really didn’t taste like carbonara so it wouldn’t be at the top of my list, but it wasn’t bad.  We were a bit beat from the long day yesterday and the lack of air-conditioning in the bus, so we called it a relatively early evening.

As hot and sunny as it been, last night, we had a spectacular storm where I don’t even think a second went by literally where there were not flashes of lightning. We fell asleep with the shade up and I woke up and it was just an incredible display of lights.  I’ve never seen lightning like that before where it is just nonstop.  I thought about recording it, but I was too tired and rolled over and went back to sleep.

Today it is also quite stormy, although there’s no lightning at the moment. You can feel the ship move, but it’s relatively stable for the 15 to 16 foot seas that we are experiencing.

The captain came on the PA system and he said, “This is your captain with today’s weather report. The weather sucks!  Now the good news. I am Greek!” I appreciate that, since my mother‘s family is from the Mani region of southern Greece.

Today will be a lazy day. We are just taking our time getting ready. I think we’re going to skip breakfast and go to the lunch buffet. The quality and selection in the buffet is very good and we’ve generally been pretty happy with the food so far.  The service has been outstanding. The crew is extremely efficient and very friendly and they seem to be enjoying their jobs.

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hcat said:

sounds like inflated pricing for Tourists,  no A/C  ...and a crowded area.  But seems you made the best of it!

As for the sauces on your  main courses:  we always ask for it on the side.  Other than in BLU, Celeb seems to drown the food in sauces and gravies...not fans of that!

Interesting article on how they are clamping down on a/c in Portofino. 

https://www.firstpost.com/web-show/firstpost-america/italy-portofino-makes-ac-units-illegal-drones-used-to-find-violators--vd440517/

Edited by Alcairns
Spelling

20 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

That is interesting. Well I can tell you this that southern Europe hates air conditioners. And I just don’t get it, because it’s miserably hot inside many of the buildings.

Our tour guide, on the bus without air conditioning yesterday, joked that we were buying a tour and getting a sauna for free. I guess it was kind of funny, but there was a part of me that really didn’t appreciate that.

She also said that Europeans tend to not use air conditioners and they keep their homes and businesses extremely warm/hot, and then when they go to places like the USA, they are shocked at how cold it is and they are freezing. I just don’t get it, it’s quite uncomfortable living in such a warm and humid climate without any air-conditioning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Continuing to enjoy your review. So understand how uncomfortable you have felt on several of your ports of call. 

Coming from the UK it has been easy for us to do land trips to Europe (many in August as I was a teacher). Much as it is still oppressively hot you can simply follow what the locals do. Get up early, eat a light continental breakfast, do what you want to do and by 1pm be sat in a local cafe enjoying local food and drink. After lunch it is siesta time then a nice swim in a pool or the sea before some lighter exercise and then a late dinner (8pmish). Obviously sightseeing can so easily fit in with this. You do your main strenuous tour early morning and a second tour or stroll in the evening missing the midday sun…

Unfortunately, cruises don’t tend to promote this. We are tempted to eat big breakfasts, then book full day tours with the most energetic time being between 12 and 3pm….We have cruised Europe many times too but usually in late September or October. By October the weather is less reliable but ports and sights are quietening down. Given the unlimited choice of when to cruise or stay in Europe I would always choose June/September…If I had to holiday in Europe in August I would opt for a land stay over a cruise. 

Please watch your health as you continue your holiday….So easy to drift into dehydration. Overheating (especially like a journey on a hot bus followed by a strenuous walk) is a health risk not just a discomfort…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did Italy and Greece two years ago August - as Chemmo says the excursions are out all day during the worst part of the heat and these countries are really hot.

I could handle it but people were like 'how do you stop sweating' unfortunately there really isn't a way you need to make sure you have enough water. I know normally they give you a bottle when leaving but I was packing more.

Southern Europe really doesn't do AC much. Interesting I was talking to the chief engineer on Apex (who was from Greece) about AC and he was saying its not good for the body. He said if you are using it not to have it cranked up too high because you don't want to go from outside being 40C to inside being 20C. 

Edited by Lena11033

2 hours ago, Alcairns said:

could not read but is it b/c they use too much electricity? 

Outdoors may be fine in the shade, but so nice to cool off in A/ C even if just during a meal or on the tour bus..  We have switched to  1/2 day excursions..not always possible in Europe.

Good reminder about staying  hydrated!

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Outdoors may be fine in the shade, but so nice to cool off in A/ C even if just during a meal or on the tour bus..  We have switched to  1/2 day excursions..not always possible in Europe.

No - it is to maintain the aesthetic quality of the village. They are putting the A/c units onto the sides and windows of buildings and are quite ugly. They are using drones to detect them. 

2 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

No - it is to maintain the aesthetic quality of the village. They are putting the A/c units onto the sides and windows of buildings and are quite ugly. They are using drones to detect them. 

interesting!

1 minute ago, hcat said:

As you say, half day excursions in Europe are not always easy (especially if you want to really see the highlights). As I have got older I have become far more happy with ports where you can simply get off the ship and you have something interesting to see. No tour bus or taxi necessary. You can pace yourself and as you weary return to the ship. I love Rhodes for this and Valletta…Fortunately Valletta has enough to keep you busy for a lifetime and Rhodes Town is definitely a venue to simply walk a little bit off the main track, find a lovely bar and watch the world go by as a pussy cat or two will materialise as if knowing you are contemplating ordering a seafood salad…

A few photos from lunch buffet, which was fantastic, and day drinking off the back of the ship.  And it is still rough and windy, but at least it stopped raining.

IMG_3683.jpeg

IMG_3686.jpeg

IMG_3682.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1