*LIVE* from the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska and Glacier Bay August 11-18, 2024

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Was this the version that goes deeper into Canada with a bus ride back?

Our train stopped in Fraser where one tour got off and we continued on to Bennett Lake and Carcross (well into the Yukon). Both stops were inside Canada. 

IMG_8703.jpeg.dbc71dfc0f235f8c5433b4d07dfcd2ef.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. They deliver your bag tags and boarding pass to your room on the last day of the cruise. When you arrive at the airport, just head to TSA security. 

You leave your bags outside your room on the last night and see them at your home airport. 

I love this service! Have used them numerous times with no issues.

Aspiring artist? Or just want to have fun?  Canvas by U allows you to create a masterpiece worthy of a Park West art auction. In an hour, the cruise staff will take you step by step through the process of creating a painting. Canvas, paints and brushes are provided as part of the class. 

Classes are limited to 15 participants and fill up quickly. This week, there were four classes. Sign up in the Box Office, Deck 7, Forward, Starboard Theater entrance. 

IMG_8732.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

IMG_8722.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpeg

IMG_8729.jpeg

• Like 3

That’s a wrap. Thank you for following along with The Bird on an Alaskan adventure including magnificent Glacier Bay on the beautiful Norwegian Encore. 

In the early morning hours, the Encore arrives back to the Bell Street Terminal, where this adventure began a short week ago. We had some fabulous weather and great views of the glaciers, sea life and wildlife. 

The crew were outstanding and the senior officers always make you feel welcome and at home on the Encore. 

The Birds are already back at home and unpacked. It’s time to start planning another adventure at sea. Questions always welcome. 

IMG_8756.jpeg

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8758.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

Really enjoyed your reports @BirdTravels as usual. 

On the first day you mentioned that Igor was the GM and that he used to step up to fill in when Deepak was on vacation. 

Is Deepak still the primary GM of the Encore?  Has he moved on to another ship? Another company?  

I have not seen his name mentioned in any list of officers recently. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, cruiservictor said:

Really enjoyed your reports @BirdTravels as usual. On the first day you mentioned that Igor was the GM and that he used to step up to fill in when Deepak was on vacation. Is Deepak still the primary GM of the Encore?  Has he moved on to another ship? Another company?  I have not seen his name mentioned in any list of officers recently. Thanks. 

Igor is now the primary GM for the Encore. He always made a point to stop and say "hello" anytime he saw us on the ship (which was 3-5 times a day). He was even scheduled to see us off the ship yesterday, but got delayed in an inspection. 

Normally, GMs rotate every couple of years. Deepak was the Encore's original GM from 2019, sailed for a few months before the pandemic shutdown. Deepak stayed with the ship as she sailed around the world dropping off and picking up crew members, hoping for an end to the pandemic shutdown. 

Deepak then relaunched Norwegian Cruise Line with the Great Cruise Comeback cruise of August 8, 2021, restarting cruising for NCL. The Birds were on that cruise with Harry Sommer and many NCL excursive catering to investors and native Alaskan groups. That cruise "cut the ribbon" on Ward Cove and "cut the ribbon" on Icy Strait Point. 

Back to the question, we asked and heard that Deepak was on the Viva. It was not clear if it was "now" or "after vacation" and not clear if it was a permanent post or a fill-in post. Deepak was always about the guest experience. So, outward facing, everything was to make the guests happy and enjoying their cruise. 

Last week, many of the "primary" officers were off the ship on vacation, including the cruise director.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Igor is now the primary GM for the Encore. He always made a point to stop and say "hello" anytime he saw us on the ship (which was 3-5 times a day). He was even scheduled to see us off the ship yesterday, but got delayed in an inspection. 

Normally, GMs rotate every couple of years. Deepak was the Encore's original GM from 2019, sailed for a few months before the pandemic shutdown. Deepak stayed with the ship as she sailed around the world dropping off and picking up crew members, hoping for an end to the pandemic shutdown. 

Deepak then relaunched Norwegian Cruise Line with the Great Cruise Comeback cruise of August 8, 2021, restarting cruising for NCL. The Birds were on that cruise with Harry Sommer and many NCL excursive catering to investors and native Alaskan groups. That cruise "cut the ribbon" on Ward Cove and "cut the ribbon" on Icy Strait Point. 

Back to the question, we asked and heard that Deepak was on the Viva. It was not clear if it was "now" or "after vacation" and not clear if it was a permanent post or a fill-in post. Deepak was always about the guest experience. So, outward facing, everything was to make the guests happy and enjoying their cruise. 

Last week, many of the "primary" officers were off the ship on vacation, including the cruise director.

When were on the first two cruises from Miami November 24 and December 1.2019 of the Encore at that time the GM was Jovo and he saw me wearing a Bliss hat on the Waterfront so he thought I should be wearing an Encore hat so he had Pam his secretary send me a very nice Blue Encore hat with yellow trim. Funny thing we did the Panama Canal cruise on the Encore fall of 2022 and Igor was the GM and my granddaughter did the Encore January 2023 and Deepak was the GM and he and his secretary Kim treated her very well. I have not met Deepak yet but maybe sometime in the future. We do get on the Bliss in a little less than 4 weeks so we will see who is onboard there.

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That’s a wrap. Thank you for following along with The Bird on an Alaskan adventure including magnificent Glacier Bay on the beautiful Norwegian Encore. 

In the early morning hours, the Encore arrives back to the Bell Street Terminal, where this adventure began a short week ago. We had some fabulous weather and great views of the glaciers, sea life and wildlife. 

The crew were outstanding and the senior officers always make you feel welcome and at home on the Encore. 

The Birds are already back at home and unpacked. It’s time to start planning another adventure at sea. Questions always welcome. 

Thanks for the review, @BirdTravels ! I’m  doing the 21-day Panama Canal cruise from Seattle this October and your experience was definitely helpful! I’m a solo cruiser and the Vibe is sold out, I realize you did Alaska but do you think the main areas of the ship will be very crowded/a disadvantage on a trip like this for someone not in a balcony or even ocean view room? I did also think about getting the spa, but I don’t know if I’d use it enough. I’m not a drinker, but I’m a fan of an orange juice in the shade with a book! (Man, I realize that sort of made me sound 80 years old instead of the 40 years old I just turned…) 

Anyway, loved the review! Thanks again! Hope you guys had a great time! 

Edited by nodoubtwywh
Tagged
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nodoubtwywh said:

Thanks for the review, @BirdTravels ! I’m  doing the 21-day Panama Canal cruise from Seattle this October and your experience was definitely helpful! I’m a solo cruiser and the Vibe is sold out, I realize you did Alaska but do you think the main areas of the ship will be very crowded/a disadvantage on a trip like this for someone not in a balcony or even ocean view room? I did also think about getting the spa, but I don’t know if I’d use it enough. I’m not a drinker, but I’m a fan of an orange juice in the shade with a book! (Man, I realize that sort of made me sound 80 years old instead of the 40 years old I just turned…) 

Anyway, loved the review! Thanks again! Hope you guys had a great time! 

There should be sun and shade available. For us, the pool deck is the absolute last place we want to hang out (but, we're old). So we seek sun/shade elsewhere. 

image.png.55364a90484e1477928bb4baf72d9913.png

ProTip: On sunny days, they are likely going to set up loungers in the laser tag arena. Most people don't know this. So, check it out on a warm, sunny day to see if things are set up that way. While they were not used in Alaska, they had stacks of loungers up there last week. 

image.png.871a48d7ff0c56cd9de03edd5ccb9273.png

image.png.6afcb4b99eef8998f762fd191aed7290.png

image.png.922a4b7b313883d67714c164ce9856c0.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

ProTip: On sunny days, they are likely going to set up loungers in the laser tag arena. Most people don't know this. So, check it out on a warm, sunny day to see if things are set up that way. While they were not used in Alaska, they had stacks of loungers up there last week. 

image.png.871a48d7ff0c56cd9de03edd5ccb9273.png

Ah, good tip! And truthfully, I’m not a big sun fan so maybe I’ll find other spots that have good views other than the pool deck. Thanks again, @BirdTravels!

after the encore dry dock later this year, the laser tag area is being changed to the spice h20

it looks like the lounges in the laser tag was a like a test run which made Norwegian remove the laser tag area once more people started using that area

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

after the encore dry dock later this year, the laser tag area is being changed to the spice h20

it looks like the lounges in the laser tag was a like a test run which made Norwegian remove the laser tag area once more people started using that area

The laser tag lounger picture was taken on our March 2024 cruise on the Encore. They have been using the space during the day for more sundeck space for a while. It was spring break and we were sailing with upwards of 4800 people onboard. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, celestialcruiser said:

If you use your FAS dining, are  you allowed a certain number of items? Or so many from each section of the menu?

You can select 4 items for each Dining Package credit. So, in our photos, you'll see the 8 items we ordered. That is the same at Food Republic, Sushi, Tapas, and Raw Bar (all on other ships). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brookie848 said:

@BirdTravels Thanks for another great review!

Do you happen to have a picture of the Haven room service menu? It's not something we normally use, but our upcoming cruise has a lot of sea days and we might take advantage of it for a light lunch.

So,,, the Haven "room service" menu is the standard menu for all rooms (posted above). 

BUT,,, You can have your butler bring you food from any restaurant (i.e., usually the Haven Restaurant). 

We would take the "regular" breakfast hang tag (above) and write whatever we want from the Haven breakfast menu. Steak and Eggs, smoked salmon, eggs over easy, egg white omelet with tomato and spinach, mushrooms, grilled tomato, breakfast potatoes, bacon, ham, pork sausage, breads, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, and a diet coke. 

If you order from a Specialty Restaurant for dinner, you will have to pay for it with either a Dining Package credit or room charge. 

We always coordinate well in advance with our butler and they will deliver it exactly at the time requested and serve it on a white table cloth. 

image.png.405b59765587f6871c242f08e8b3ddd1.png

image.png.b5d6e31b383e9fac4189cd51d4742546.pngimage.png.5db83b066f4ae117439fe14bce1ac912.pngimage.png.2d1ea210614afdea4de6af59d7d05239.png

image.png.200c18f5ec59026015ccb0e7d4f6859f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, the Haven "room service" menu is the standard menu for all rooms (posted above). 

BUT,,, You can have your butler bring you food from any restaurant (i.e., usually the Haven Restaurant). 

We would take the "regular" breakfast hang tag (above) and write whatever we want from the Haven breakfast menu. Steak and Eggs, smoked salmon, eggs over easy, egg white omelet with tomato and spinach, mushrooms, grilled tomato, breakfast potatoes, bacon, ham, pork sausage, breads, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, and a diet coke. 

If you order from a Specialty Restaurant for dinner, you will have to pay for it with either a Dining Package credit or room charge. 

We always coordinate well in advance with our butler and they will deliver it exactly at the time requested and serve it on a white table cloth. 

Thanks for this information. The only times we've done room service is for breakfast with really early excursions and we ordered a pizza once.

We aren't much for buffets (technically my husband isn't allowed to eat from them) and the lunch menus on the ship can be pretty repetitive, so we might use this as an option for one day.

We always give our butler plenty of notice when we do need something and are overall laid back about the whole situation.