Coffee on Vista

Mrose11

Basor, I'm so glad to hear your favorite cruise was on the Sirena on the Amazon.  We're taking that cruise in January.  Probably not my first choice but it was on my husband's bucket list, and I know I'll end up having a good time.  

No, I've never had a perfect cruise but our Caribbean cuisse on the Vista was the closest thing to one.  If they could have hired people who knew how to cook eggs it probably would have been perfect.

I prefer the larger ships but am willing to put up with a smaller cabin to go to the places we want to go.  I guess we could upgrade to a PH or above but that might mean one less cruise a year.  I'm going for more cruises versus larger cabins.  Our life, our decision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, basor said:

On Vista Barristas has lots of nice comfy tables and chairs all around the floor to ceiling windows, with a large spread of non-carb breakfast items and a barrista that will make fresh brewed coffee drinks to order...I will take that over a urn full of coffee made several hours ago or a self serve espresso machine..understand you have never sailed on Vista so difficult for you to comment on things not ever experienced,  Those of us that have sailed on all 7 of the ships can make experience based comments - both pro and con.

Here is a link to a video of barristas on Vista - 

Hopefully this gives a better idea of how nice early morning coffee is on Vista.  In the morning the food area has fresh fruit, yogurt, cheese, meats, etc., and is continually changed during the day to reflect foods appropriate for the time of day.  So there are 2 areas serving food...

Looks lovely but I couldn’t help but notice the lady with her laptop but no food or drink taking up an entire booth.;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Much as I like Vista's take on Baristas (including the Bakery), I do miss the coffee machine and cookies in Horizons. Good for a quickly grabbed breakfast and good for a mid morning coffee and snack without moving away from Horizons comfort and views. Yes, I do want it all - the best of everything. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

Looks lovely but I couldn’t help but notice the lady with her laptop but no food or drink taking up an entire booth.;) 

Perhaps her fellow seat mates were getting their coffee and/or snacks.....found people always willing to share the large booth if only a couple 🙂

6 hours ago, exeter_acres said:

Good point....who'da thought that forums would be a spot to simply discuss stuff......

But it doesn't appear that OP is just wanting to discuss rather than affecting change...which isn't going to happen here.

1 minute ago, Harters said:

Much as I like Vista's take on Baristas (including the Bakery), I do miss the coffee machine and cookies in Horizons. Good for a quickly grabbed breakfast and good for a mid morning coffee and snack without moving away from Horizons comfort and views. Yes, I do want it all - the best of everything. 

I can certainly relate to that and hopefully they will add back those amenities at the bar for future mid day comforts

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

And how exactly is this superior to Riviera? I can stand in Baristas on Deck 14 and look out, too. And when there I want good coffee, not worthless carbs. I pretty much avoid all rice, potatoes and bread while cruising.

Haha! That is the only time I eat rice, potatoes and bread! While cruising! “Worthless carbs” *grabby hands!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On our last cruise all Horizons had for snacks was pastries, coffee and tea and orange juive.  No fruits, nothing else but worthless carbs.  Baristas on Vista does serve fruit and yogurt and small glasses of smoothies.  So much healthier than Horizons.  Marina and Riviera have a similar menu at Baristas, at least on our last cruise on them which was more than a year ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though this is what O says about Baristas on Riviera: "This delightful coffee bar is a favorite stop for java lovers. Enjoy complimentary espressos, cappuccinos and lattes prepared by our master baristas, as well as the delicious pastries, finger sandwiches and homemade biscotti that draw so many to Baristas throughout the day."

Now we can talk PRICE. The latest 2025 Med cruise brochure has the least 3 expensive cruises (2 on smaller R-class ships & 1 on Marina) at $560, $600 and $616 per couple per day. You won't come close with Vista pricing! The Vista cruises listed are at $834, $885, and $900 per couple per day. Least expensive cabins, of course.

And we'll have to agree to disagree on the value of adding "pizza" in general, and replacing Jacques on Marina & Riviera with Ember & Aquamar on Vista.

Though I suspect you may agree that there are serious issues in the Vista Lounge, at least they seem ubiquitous on the threads here. So many seem to use words like, "The designer should be (insert bad thing that could be done to him/her here)."

Jacques is still on Marina and Riviera, Are you talking about some change in the future?

11 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

BUT you do have options... Room service, Baristas, the Executive & Concierge Lounges (for those in Ph & up or Concierge), and the coffee makers in the TC & Horizons.

I am usually up really early and pad my feet with thermos and mug in hand to the nearest coffee service. I may sit out on the aft deck and watch the earth start to stir-my quiet time. Sometimes I fill my thermos as my last public act at night and if I don’t use it as a back to my Grand Mariner on my balcony- I have a cup of hot Joe when I wake up. A good thermos will fill in the gaps.

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I pretty much avoid all rice, potatoes and bread while cruising.

I'm an adult and have no problem with doing that. Sorry you do.

12 hours ago, clo said:

I'm an adult and have no problem with doing that. Sorry you do.

I'm not even sure what you're saying??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not even sure what you're saying??

It means if a particular food is present it doesn't mean I have to eat it. I.e, rice, potatoes and bread.

1 minute ago, clo said:

It means if a particular food is present it doesn't mean I have to eat it. I.e, rice, potatoes and bread.

But isn’t that what he said he does??? Avoids them, as in doesn’t eat them even if they are present???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

But isn’t that what he said he does??? Avoids them, as in doesn’t eat them even if they are present???

20 hours ago, durberville said:

And when there I want good coffee, not worthless carbs. I pretty much avoid all rice, potatoes and bread while cruising.

Sorry. I read that as he doesn't want to even see those things and be tempted by them. 

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Does anyone know if they have French Press coffee?

Not that I've noticed. And I'm sure I would have noticed.

The first time we came across the expression "French Press" was in a restaurant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, some years back. So, not knowing what it was, we ordered it, hoping it might be an interesting discovery. Of course, when it arrived, we looked at each other and, chuckling, said to each other "Oh, it's only a cafetiere". 

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2024 at 7:45 PM, asnaleah said:

Do PH suites have coffee makers?

The owner's Suite has an espresso machine, contrary to other answers you may have seen here

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm. French Press. Great idea! We've been with O for decades and have been on 6 of the ships. On all of these cruises we have found that, for us, only Baristas has drinkable coffee. If we get HOT water in our YETI the night before, we should be able to use a French Press with coffee brought from home to get the morning started.

Thank you, ronrick 1943!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ScottieM said:

The owner's Suite has an espresso machine, contrary to other answers you may have seen here

I think I would be tempted to secure the premium drink package if that meant I could have an expresso machine in my Stateroom!!

2 hours ago, Thought2go said:

I think I would be tempted to secure the premium drink package if that meant I could have an expresso machine in my Stateroom!!

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other?

I was thinking the same thing.  I then just brushed it off as it seems many posts on here make little sense sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, ScottieM said:

Curious how you know this. Have you seen it? Saw a video of it? I don't drink coffee nor will I be booking the Owner's Suite. Just never heard this before. 

• Like 1

Well, if I did have an expresso machine in my suite I'd still have to get up and make the coffee.  What if I wanted cream and sugar?  And then I'd have to carry it to the table myself.  Better call the butler.  But then I'd have someone in the room with me.  Where in the world do you get coffee without anyone else in the room with you?  

Talk about entitlement.

• Haha 2