Tips for getting Coca Cola zero?

It has now been a couple of weeks since my first NCL cruise (on the Prima) and I am now considering if I should book another one 🙂 Learnt so much from this forum so hopping you guys have an easy solution for this minor issue

One of my pet peeves (silly but after 10 days the annoyance accumulated) was the soda situation, especially in terms of having it in the cabin. Overall I didnt find a way to get closed cans - I like having bubbly and cold coke zero or similar. The soda gun was (across the ship) very lacking on the bubbles and when you specifically asked for the cans they would open them and pour over ice as often they werent cold so you would get a pretty flat soda. 

Minibar was stocked with water but not soda's - normally I like this as means I can have several cans of coke and skip the beers and sprite but on this cruise I couldnt get closed cans anywhere haha. You arent supposed to bring soda's ( or anything) on board, the minibar didnt have them, and the bars and restaurants would either give you soda's from the gun or if you asked specifically for a can they would insist on opening it 

So how do I get sparkling cold coke, especially in my cabin? Do I ignore the whole "dont bring things on board" and smuggle cans in? Are there some magic words to getting bartenders to give you closed cans? Do you order room service consisting of a bunch of cans of coke and nothing else at the start of the cruise? Is there some magical cooling bottle then keeps the bubbles? Help 🙂 

Posted (edited)

Just ask for them not to open it. Cans are not included in the drinks package so might get charged for it. Especially if you ask for unopened. Or they may just let it slip. 

Edit: The magic words maybe being " I want to BUY a couple of unopened cans of x" (Even though I have recieved several unopened cans without even asking for them.) 

Edited by Asawi

40 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Just ask for them not to open it. Cans are not included in the drinks package so might get charged for it. Especially if you ask for unopened. Or they may just let it slip. 

Edit: The magic words maybe being " I want to BUY a couple of unopened cans of x" (Even though I have recieved several unopened cans without even asking for them.) 

Will have to try it
Did ask once in the buffe area and the bartender told me they have to open it... even tried getting two cans and they still opened both haha. Guess I need to be more assertive 

1 minute ago, Miss_Confused said:

Will have to try it
Did ask once in the buffe area and the bartender told me they have to open it... even tried getting two cans and they still opened both haha. Guess I need to be more assertive 

If you just make it clear that you understand that they are not included in the drinks package I think you'll be good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Order as many cans as you want through room service.  You will pay about $4 each plus the $9.95 delivery charge for the order.

So they def. deliver them closed then

Find it pretty funny that soda is my nemesis here, wine bottles, food, etc. no issues. Can of coke? Oh lord no haha

• Haha 1

We were on the Bliss in the Vibe and once we let the bartenders know that we wanted Coke Zero in cans, they plied us with the cans unopened.  And lots of ice.  Also emptied out the mini bar so we wouldn't have to use room service.  It was $3 something USD a can but that was fine.

• Like 1

Unopened cans can be bought individually at the bars for $3.50 ea. plus 20% automatic gratuity ($4.20 total). Alternatively, you can buy in bulk through Swift (I.e. beverage room service) to be delivered directly to your cabin. Swift room delivery may cost slightly more per can and have a minimum $9.95 per Oder service charge (like food room service) 

Hmmm, seems I've been in a discussion before with someone about this subject. My experience similar to yours that they push gun and cans not part of beverage plan.  Of course, to that person, I was wrong.

Was on Prima, sat down in Haven restaurant for breakfast, asked what I wanted, told coke zero, asked can or gun, said can, told will be a charge.  Should have just ordered a screwdriver.

Strange that the mini fridge did not have cans of soda. Usually they are stocked in hoping they can charge people for them.  I think there is an easy solution is to buy several cans on board and have them put in your fridge.

But I sort of understand your situation. Many years ago people would write here that the soda glasses were so small and full of 8 oz of soda.  They suggested ask for a can.  But your reality was mine.  Most restaurants did not have them or were not allowed to sell them.  Some people are lucky and find a bartender that will sell you one.  

Your room attendant may be able to assist you or at least connect you to the soda source.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Asawi said:

So f you have FAS drink package, soda from the gun is included but not a can? 
thanks!😊 

Edited by L+A+J

43 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Strange that the mini fridge did not have cans of soda. Usually they are stocked in hoping they can charge people for them.  I think there is an easy solution is to buy several cans on board and have them put in your fridge.

But I sort of understand your situation. Many years ago people would write here that the soda glasses were so small and full of 8 oz of soda.  They suggested ask for a can.  But your reality was mine.  Most restaurants did not have them or were not allowed to sell them.  Some people are lucky and find a bartender that will sell you one.  

Your room attendant may be able to assist you or at least connect you to the soda source.

The mini fridges haven't been stocked for a long time. Now there are 3 bottles of water that can be purchased...I put them on the floor under the desk while on the cruise and use the fridge for food.

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

The mini fridges haven't been stocked for a long time. Now there are 3 bottles of water that can be purchased...I put them on the floor under the desk while on the cruise and use the fridge for food.

Ohh what food do you keep on hand? Looking for all the tips haha

2 hours ago, L+A+J said:

So f you have FAS drink package, soda from the gun is included but not a can? 
thanks!😊 

Exactly, soda from the gun is incl. - so odd that one cant have a bottle of water but you can have multiple cocktails worth 4x 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Hmmm, seems I've been in a discussion before with someone about this subject. My experience similar to yours that they push gun and cans not part of beverage plan.  Of course, to that person, I was wrong.

Was on Prima, sat down in Haven restaurant for breakfast, asked what I wanted, told coke zero, asked can or gun, said can, told will be a charge.  Should have just ordered a screwdriver.

Haha so the solution is to upgrade to the Haven?

15 hours ago, Pablo Diablo said:

Unopened cans can be bought individually at the bars for $3.50 ea. plus 20% automatic gratuity ($4.20 total). Alternatively, you can buy in bulk through Swift (I.e. beverage room service) to be delivered directly to your cabin. Swift room delivery may cost slightly more per can and have a minimum $9.95 per Oder service charge (like food room service) 

Thanks - Im fine to pay for it, just somehow failed on this trip

10 hours ago, Miss_Confused said:

Usually keep some yogurt, small cartons of milk (both of which I get from the buffet at breakfast), sometimes cheese...anything I might want to snack on in the evening. Also keep a bottle of water that I refill myself in the buffet.

If I sleep in on a sea day and miss breakfast I like to have a little something before lunch or if I have an early morning excursion and don't want room service or to fight the crowd in the buffet, it comes in handy. I also usually have a cookie or two and some fruit in my cabin.

18 hours ago, Miss_Confused said:

Haha so the solution is to upgrade to the Haven?

Actually sort of.  Denied can in Haven restaurant.  Crown Royal, for a few months, was extra charge with basic drink package.  $1.25.

But we had an OS so all soda in cans we wanted was well stocked.

19 hours ago, Miss_Confused said:

Nothing that need real refrigeration because the cold level of those things are not consistently cold.

cake? Yes. Fish! No.😃

Sometimes after you go through security and are waiting to board there are vending machines. We have bought a few of our soft drink  favorites and carried them onboard in I believe NY and Miami.

On 8/11/2024 at 1:32 PM, Miss_Confused said:

It has now been a couple of weeks since my first NCL cruise (on the Prima) and I am now considering if I should book another one 🙂 Learnt so much from this forum so hopping you guys have an easy solution for this minor issue

One of my pet peeves (silly but after 10 days the annoyance accumulated) was the soda situation, especially in terms of having it in the cabin. Overall I didnt find a way to get closed cans - I like having bubbly and cold coke zero or similar. The soda gun was (across the ship) very lacking on the bubbles and when you specifically asked for the cans they would open them and pour over ice as often they werent cold so you would get a pretty flat soda. 

Minibar was stocked with water but not soda's - normally I like this as means I can have several cans of coke and skip the beers and sprite but on this cruise I couldnt get closed cans anywhere haha. You arent supposed to bring soda's ( or anything) on board, the minibar didnt have them, and the bars and restaurants would either give you soda's from the gun or if you asked specifically for a can they would insist on opening it 

So how do I get sparkling cold coke, especially in my cabin? Do I ignore the whole "dont bring things on board" and smuggle cans in? Are there some magic words to getting bartenders to give you closed cans? Do you order room service consisting of a bunch of cans of coke and nothing else at the start of the cruise? Is there some magical cooling bottle then keeps the bubbles? Help 🙂 

Tip a bartender’s