Getting back on the ship after a port- license passport?

2 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

I wouldnt know where to find my birth certificate. I've used my passport for ID (including employment) for 25 years.

You could apply to get a copy from the county clerk's office of the county you were born. (This may be different if you are not from the USA.)

• Like 1

I always bring my passport and leave it in the safe. 

On a cruise to Alaska, in one of the Alaskan port cities, I somehow neglected to bring my DL with me and didn't realize it until trying to come back through port security.  Mind you, this was a round trip Seattle sailing, I am a US Citizen, and the port was another US city.  Although I had my cruise card, the port authority absolutely would not allow me to pass without a DL.  As I was waiting with the port personnel for my cabin mate to go retrieve my DL in the cabin, I asked why it was an issue.  I was advised that due to the proximity of Russia, they always require official ID, which I thought was interesting.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

have never used a DL just sail and sign card.

And that works until it doesn't work. I have been asked to show my ID by local officials several occasions. 

Carnival will always tell you to bring your Sign and Sail card and a government ID. Ignore that instruction at your own peril. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 9:10 PM, staceyglow said:

Why the decision not to bring your driver's license on your trip?

It's not like they take up a lot of room in your luggage.

I got pickpocketed in Barcelona.  Wallet stolen from front pocket of my tght jeans while touring La Marqueta. I had read lots of pickpockets so in my wallet was just one credit card and my drivers license and some cash.  Very annoying.  Spent a few hours in the police station. I was thinking of only carrying an expired drivers license into port from now on. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2024 at 6:28 AM, pe4all said:

We have never taken our passports off the ship.  They go into the safe and stay there.

Years ago (Mid 1980's) Carnival would collect all guest passports when boarding and hold them until after immigration clearance at the end of the cruise and then they would be returned to everyone. 

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So sorry @mfs2k. That sucks. Europe is a real risk like that. I'm amazed they were so good as to get to your FRONT pocket.

i know the moment it happened.  A woman in the market walked up to me and spit in my face.  I thought she was mad i was taking pictures.  About 10 minutes later, when I realized, after that awful feeling when you reach for your wallet and it's gone and your entire body recoils, that she  did that as a distraction for the thief.  Ugh. Glad it was only 1 card and 1 license. 

• Like 1

Just bought this for upcoming cruise. Big enough for any cards and cash ad even a key.

I have one for passport, but don't use it.

Outus 3 Pieces Waterproof Case ID Card Holder with Floating Sports Case Locker with Hanging Ring and Rope (Rose Blue Black,4.72 x 2.95 x 1.57 Inch) https://a.co/d/6U98wlc

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I got pickpocketed in Barcelona.  Wallet stolen from front pocket of my tght jeans while touring La Marqueta. I had read lots of pickpockets so in my wallet was just one credit card and my drivers license and some cash.  Very annoying.  Spent a few hours in the police station. I was thinking of only carrying an expired drivers license into port from now on. 

If a port is strict enough to require a license, they are unlikely to accept an expired one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

If a port is strict enough to require a license, they are unlikely to accept an expired one.

I would think it is for picture id. I don't think they would look at it so closely to see the expiration date. Doing that would really hold things up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Photos of current license and passport on my phone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would think it is for picture id. I don't think they would look at it so closely to see the expiration date. Doing that would really hold things up.

The port guard in Puerto Rico looks at it long enough to memorize your address.  The line can be 100+ in blazing sun and they will study each one. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The port guard in Puerto Rico looks at it long enough to memorize your address.  The line can be 100+ in blazing sun and they will study each one. 

That sound incredibly horrible. 😒😢

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't recall that happening (the "studying part" to us on our multiple stops in San Juan.  Maybe there was a particular reason that day. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, staceyglow said:

And that works until it doesn't work. I have been asked to show my ID by local officials several occasions. 

True it only works till it doesnt but i made Platinum without it happening.  That being said i still carry my wallet which has my DL in it and I always take my Passport ashore.  One never knows what may happen.

Getting into the port area is going to vary by port, the time one is returning to the ship, the security person, the day of the week, etc. but the general rule is that re-entry requires a sail and sign card and government issued ID. We've never had our IDs examined for more then the time it takes to verify the names, but they could take the time to check the expiry if they wanted. We've returned near the all aboard time when they barely glanced at them in our hand. I have photos in my phone of my documents (mostly for filling out forms online) but would only try to use that if the original were stolen. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

I always keep my current driver's license and passport in the safe and carry an expired driver's license in port.  I keep it in a clear plastic sleeve, back to back with my ship card, carried in my front pocket (NEVER visable on a lanyard).  I've never had an issues. 

I only carry a passport when we are in a port that requires it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 4:40 PM, rugerdog said:

On a cruise to Alaska, in one of the Alaskan port cities, I somehow neglected to bring my DL with me and didn't realize it until trying to come back through port security.  Mind you, this was a round trip Seattle sailing, I am a US Citizen, and the port was another US city.  Although I had my cruise card, the port authority absolutely would not allow me to pass without a DL.  As I was waiting with the port personnel for my cabin mate to go retrieve my DL in the cabin, I asked why it was an issue.  I was advised that due to the proximity of Russia, they always require official ID, which I thought was interesting.

it's not about proximity to Russia. It also happens in the US ports in the Caribbean: PR, St Thomas, St John... They are far from Russia. We have always been required to show a (US) ID to get back into port on US territory. 

However, I am surprised that they didn't accept your cruise card instead of DL.  That part is weird. My MIL doesn't have a DL, but she does have a US passport...

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's not about proximity to Russia. It also happens in the US ports in the Caribbean: PR, St Thomas, St John... They are far from Russia. We have always been required to show a (US) ID to get back into port on US territory. 

However, I am surprised that they didn't accept your cruise card instead of DL.  That part is weird. My MIL doesn't have a DL, but she does have a US passport...

There is no way for port security to verify the cruise card is yours.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is no way for port security to verify the cruise card is yours.

Oh, I see what happened. My apologies, I misinterpreted "cruise card" as "passport card" and was confused as to why the agents didn't accept a passport card instead of a DL. Yes, definitely, a cruise card is not accepted in US ports as proof of identity. The cruise card is also not a proof of US citizenship, so stating that you are a US citizen with a cruise card does nothing.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 6:56 AM, mfs2k said:

Years ago (Mid 1980's) Carnival would collect all guest passports when boarding and hold them until after immigration clearance at the end of the cruise and then they would be returned to everyone. 

Curious about this. I have cruised 46 times on Carnival/Royal since the Mardi Gras in 1976 and have not experienced this.
 Can you be specific as to the port of departure and agenda?

50 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Curious about this. I have cruised 46 times on Carnival/Royal since the Mardi Gras in 1976 and have not experienced this.
 Can you be specific as to the port of departure and agenda?

Maybe it was just the non-Americans.  My wife is Canadian and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.  I remember them holding some if not all Passports.