Spice H2O vs Vibe Beach Club (Cabana)

First time cruising. Normally on sailboats.  This time on NCL.  Sailing on the Encore from Miami to Seattle (21days), in March-April 2025.   NCL is publicizing Encore will open a Spice H2O in Dec 2024.  What is the difference between Vibe and Spice?  Is Spice normally crowded?  Are the cabanas in Vibe worth an extra $60?

Wow, I had not heard of the conversion to Spice H20 on the Encore, but I predicted it back in 2019 when the entire area remained vacant for the entire cruise... Spice H20 is the free adults only area on NCL and Vibe is an extra charge adults only area which only allows a certain number of passengers per sailing, and features a nice bar and various seating options. I'd imagine that a cruise of that length would cost a pretty penny, but you'd always have a place to lay out without the normal crowds at Spice H20...

• Like 3

I did a cabana on Joy.  I felt very isolated.  I was traveling alone and got the cabana all the way at the farthest end of the vibe.  So if you want some privacy, it’s a nice thing to have and more real estate than just a lounger. If you want to socialize, you might not want it.  I did not use Spice H2O but several people told me it gets so crowded you’re practically elbow to elbow. I’m sure that depends on the ship and sailing though.  All I can say is Vibe is worth every penny, knowing you will have a place to sit and your own bartenders who are better than the non vibe bartenders is so great.  They creat a fun, festive atmosphere.  No kids, plush loungers, hot tub, it’s the best.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

All I can say is Vibe is worth every penny, knowing you will have a place to sit and your own bartenders who are better than the non vibe bartenders is so great.  They creat a fun, festive atmosphere.  No kids, plush loungers, hot tub, it’s the best.

Thank you!!!  This is my feeling as well.  My wife takes it a step further; she insists on the Vibe or NO CRUISE.  The bartenders/staff there are the absolute best we've experienced.

• Like 2

If it's like the Spice on the Escape, it's only adults-only in the daytime. So that might factor in for your needs or not.

Spice H2O was just about empty on my cruise, except for the smoking section by the starboard bar, because it was a cold weather cruise with clouds and rain.

VIBE BC is great!  Such a retreat from the 3000 plus down at the pool.  LOL.  Seriously though, to me it’s money well spent and so nice that it can be pre-purchased vs the old days of stressing out with a heart attack before they eventually sold out!  

Great staff who always recall you name and drink preference.  I like to fix a cold lunch from the cafe and take it up there to dine at the bar. The bar staff are totally cool with it.

VIBE BC is like being on a small yacht with a bunch of friends.  Love it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Thank you!!!  This is my feeling as well.  My wife takes it a step further; she insists on the Vibe or NO CRUISE.  The bartenders/staff there are the absolute best we've experienced.

I agree, no Vibe, no cruise.  I’m just too spoiled with it! It’s such a nice little community to become a part of.  Everyone is so cool and you can socialize or be on your own.  For the price, it’s amazing.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 7:27 PM, sid_9169 said:

Wow, I had not heard of the conversion to Spice H20 on the Encore, but I predicted it back in 2019 when the entire area remained vacant for the entire cruise...

encore_spiceH20_rendering_large_07292024

Deck plans have...

Encore_Deck_18-07292024.png

Disclaimer: Spice H2O is available beginning 12/3/2024.

• Like 1

Spice and Vibe may look similar in the descriptions but in reality they’re totally different.

Think of Spice as a second pool area. It’s always hopping. Music playing, people everywhere. There’s a big screen where they play movies. Like the main pool area, it’s a party zone.

Vibe is chill, private and relaxed. Lots of private spaces to sit in the quiet (or pay even more and get a cabana for even more privacy). There’s service (snack menu and drinks) and a bar, but otherwise nothing else going on and that is by design.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I agree, no Vibe, no cruise.  I’m just too spoiled with it! It’s such a nice little community to become a part of.  Everyone is so cool and you can socialize or be on your own.  For the price, it’s amazing.  

For the price...?  What is the price? Is it one price for the entire cruise or can you buy it day by day?

@61North I agree 100% with what @grouchomarx wrote here, it's spot on and captures the reason we won't sail without Vibe on NCL: 

16 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

All I can say is Vibe is worth every penny, knowing you will have a place to sit and your own bartenders who are better than the non vibe bartenders is so great.  They creat a fun, festive atmosphere.  No kids, plush loungers, hot tub, it’s the best.

Spice H2O may be adults only, but it can be packed on warm weather sea days to the point where you won't get a seat if you don't get there early.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

For the price...?  What is the price? Is it one price for the entire cruise or can you buy it day by day?

You buy it for the cruise.  Cost depends on the length of the cruise but I think it's about $250+/- per passenger fr 7 day cruise.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

10 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

@61North I agree 100% with what @grouchomarx wrote here, it's spot on and captures the reason we won't sail without Vibe on NCL: 

Add our family to the no Vibe, no cruise group.

• Like 5

On 8/12/2024 at 7:20 PM, 61North said:

First time cruising. Normally on sailboats.  This time on NCL.  Sailing on the Encore from Miami to Seattle (21days), in March-April 2025.   NCL is publicizing Encore will open a Spice H2O in Dec 2024.  What is the difference between Vibe and Spice?  Is Spice normally crowded?  Are the cabanas in Vibe worth an extra $60?

For $60 I definitely would book the cabana.  However, $60 does sound rather low.  Are you sure it is $60?   When we were on the Encore last February, the cost was an additional $100 for the cabana.      Off all of the Vibes I have been in (Escape, Getaway, Joy, Encore), the Encore had the least comfortable lounge chairs in the Vibe.   They were not padded as the others, so we were very happy we had the Cabana as the double lounger was padded.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

For $60 I definitely would book the cabana.  However, $60 does sound rather low.  Are you sure it is $60?   When we were on the Encore last February, the cost was an additional $100 for the cabana.      Off all of the Vibes I have been in (Escape, Getaway, Joy, Encore), the Encore had the least comfortable lounge chairs in the Vibe.   They were not padded as the others, so we were very happy we had the Cabana as the double lounger was padded.   

In regards to the Escape Vibe, I watched a utube video that showed cookies and sandwiches as free treats.  Did they do that when you did the Escape Vibe?   When we were in Prima Vibe all we got was fruit skewers.

Also isn't there a hidden elevator somewhere to get to the 19th floor where the vibe is?  Otherwise it's a two floor stair climb to get there.  I remember a thread mentioning this but even using the searchn this website I have been unable to find this.

4 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

In regards to the Escape Vibe, I watched a utube video that showed cookies and sandwiches as free treats.  Did they do that when you did the Escape Vibe?   When we were in Prima Vibe all we got was fruit skewers.

Also isn't there a hidden elevator somewhere to get to the 19th floor where the vibe is?  Otherwise it's a two floor stair climb to get there.  I remember a thread mentioning this but even using the searchn this website I have been unable to find this.

Yes, there is a hidden elevator that takes you to deck 19.    Only one and you have to make sure you are in the right one.   It is easy to find as all of the elevators have a plaque with the floors that it services.

When we were last in the Escape Vibe, we were allowed to order off of the Haven snack menu but that was in May 2019 and they discontinued that perk.   This year on the Encore and Joy, our first hand experience was cookies and fruit.   We were happy with the cookies!

• Like 3

In general, the longer the cruise, the better pricing per day for the Vibe.  On our upcoming TA, 16 days, the price was only 15% more than for a 7 days cruise.  That was true for our PC cruise last year as well. 

Since you will be going thru the Panama Canal, I would highly recommend Vibe.  We spent the time transiting the lake there, not crowded, great views.

Other perks; Personal service, better loungers, movable umbrellas (wind permitting) warm towels (when wind is cold) private bar, shots at 5, cookies and fruit sticks, ice water pitchers, separate restroom.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Our most recent Vibe experience was on the Joy last July.  There were plenty of cookies daily, the fruit skewers a few times a day, and finger sandwiches a few times a day.  If memory serves, there were three types of sandwiches - smoked salmon, turkey, and something else.  Plus all the other well-known perks, including carafes of ice water at your lounger.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

For my upcoming cruise (solo) Vibe is $259.  That is per person so double it if you're traveling together.  The cabana which covers vibe access was $599 so if you're a couple it's a very good deal, bit expensive for a solo but I would do it again.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Our most recent Vibe experience was on the Joy last July.  There were plenty of cookies daily, the fruit skewers a few times a day, and finger sandwiches a few times a day.  If memory serves, there were three types of sandwiches - smoked salmon, turkey, and something else.  Plus all the other well-known perks, including carafes of ice water at your lounger.

We had cookies and fruit skewers, never saw any sandwiches.  People were taking the cookies and asking the bartender to put them into creamy frozen drinks.  It was tasty!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

shots at 5,

Just 5?  That sounds like some bartenders that needed training.  (we got shots far more frequently than just 5 😉 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2024 at 1:12 PM, grouchomarx said:

I did a cabana on Joy.  I felt very isolated.  I was traveling alone and got the cabana all the way at the farthest end of the vibe.  So if you want some privacy, it’s a nice thing to have and more real estate than just a lounger. If you want to socialize, you might not want it.  I did not use Spice H2O but several people told me it gets so crowded you’re practically elbow to elbow. I’m sure that depends on the ship and sailing though.  All I can say is Vibe is worth every penny, knowing you will have a place to sit and your own bartenders who are better than the non vibe bartenders is so great.  They creat a fun, festive atmosphere.  No kids, plush loungers, hot tub, it’s the best.

If you get cabana it doesn’t mean you can’t sit in any seat.

12 minutes ago, Susandt said:

If you get cabana it doesn’t mean you can’t sit in any seat.

I’m not sure I understand your comment. You get assigned a specific cabana, it’s the same one all week. You can also sit on any of the other furniture in the Vibe whenever you like.  You are not relegated to just the cabana.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Just 5?  That sounds like some bartenders that needed training.  (we got shots far more frequently than just 5 😉 )

I think they whoop it up more or less depending on the crowd.  If there is more demand for shots, more shots!!!  Although the shots they did on my cruise were strange.  Something green, pistachio something or other.  Never heard of such a thing before that.

• Like 2