Should I be concerned with going on NCL Pearl based on recent reviews?

As posted earlier in the year, I am looking to go on a Solo cruise on the Pearl in March 2025 From Miami 5 days 

• Miami,Florida
  • Great Stirrup Cay,Bahamas
  • Puerto Plata,Dominican Republic

I am looking for a little R&R and go to the solo Meet and Greets. I am just concerned with what people are posting about the ship, how the age is catching up, quality (or lack of) and different things like that. I really love these older "smaller" ships and don't want the options for a 4-5 day like the newer and much larger Aqua.

Hopefully there's no concern, but I rather ask the majority on this board of their experience and not just the last several months of reviews.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Joe

My first cruise was in the Pearl in 2022. Loved her. I always read reviews with a grain of salt and then go and have my own experience. Go and enjoy your trip. 

When you look at reviews you need to look at trends.  Do a whole bunch of people mention the same issue?  If so, it probably exists on that ship.  And then you need to decide if that issue matters to you. 

I've looked at a few of the reviews and agree with them about the food, which I've always felt was weaker on NCL than other lines.   Please note that accessing Santorini is a mess on all cruise lines.  Venice has banned cruise ships, so you won't be docking directly there with any line.  

I would not worry about what others think.  If you find an issue report it while you are onboard.  Complaining about something on this forum after you get home does not resolve anything.

Go and enjoy your cruise.  Your cruise is WHAT YOU make it.

• Thanks 2

dont be concerned about what others think! you're on a cruise ship, all the food and beverages you can consume, going to interesting places,

just get   on the ship and enjoy your cruise.

we've been on the pearl twice (although not recently) and as ive posted before, if anything goes wrong, imo, they are just petty annoyances. if someone complains about the food, unless they are posting about  the entire choice of restaurants, there are many choices to try. if they are complaining about the entertainment, there are also many choices, and they cant all be bad. 

as my sainted grandmother once said " dont't sweat the small stuff.... it's all small stuff"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

As posted earlier in the year, I am looking to go on a Solo cruise on the Pearl in March 2025 From Miami 5 days 

• Miami,Florida

I am looking for a little R&R and go to the solo Meet and Greets. I am just concerned with what people are posting about the ship, how the age is catching up, quality (or lack of) and different things like that. I really love these older "smaller" ships and don't want the options for a 4-5 day like the newer and much larger Aqua.

Hopefully there's no concern, but I rather ask the majority on this board of their experience and not just the last several months of reviews.

Joe

Keep in mind that maybe 1% of anyone on board any given cruise knows about and will at least occasionally write here on CC boards.  With the reviews section separate, (and no replies allowed) maybe 2 people will write a review for any given cruise, from 3,000 plus (Jewel class) on the ship.

Add in that people will more likely complain than compliment, and your viewpoint from those reviews is not the best.  

We watched 1 U-tube video from a first time ever sailing couple, that made NCL out to be the worst thing ever.  Almost all of their complaints were what we would call "rookie mistakes" and expecting luxury cruise features at large market prices.

15 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

• Miami,Florida

Joe

I have never seen a mass market cruise ship where age is catching up, other than the decor might be date. There is no difference in ship upkeep from the oldest to the newest ship in the fleet. You like the small ships which means to me that the bells and whistles don’t matter. 

keep in mind that Sea Dream Yacht Club a truly 5 star line, that charges 5* prices,  only has 2 ships that almost always sail full and they were built in 1984 and 1985. Age doesn’t have anything to do with quality. 

17 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

• Miami,Florida

Joe

I enjoyed Pearl and would be happy to sail on her again. I did find the food a bit disappointing in the main dining rooms, but this appears to be an NCL-wide issue. 

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

I have never seen a mass market cruise ship where age is catching up, other than the decor might be date....

I'd rather it be dated. I think this new 'modern' stuff is ugly. And it isn't modern at all. It was all the rage back in the 1950s, and I thought it was ugly then too.

• Thanks 1

Because the Pearl is used for most of the charters in NCL, its long term staff will have some great stories!  There are also some staff who request to work on the Pearl because of the charters.  

I do hope you come back and let us know your thoughts on the decor in Summer Palace, or as we call it, The Russian Tea Room.  A group of us even dressed up for a theme night as one of the paintings there.