Which Cruises are least Popular - Most Unsold Staterooms

Andy_P

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I never seen that also 

Notice how most TAs are less than 14 days so Celebrity does have pay the $250 OBC for shareholder credit 🤔🙄😁

An annoying trend. Shares still great value compared to what we paid and now the dividend is back.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I don’t think a balcony in the Med in Feb would get a lot of use! 🌧️ 💨 🌊 

No! However, I am surprised at the fairly high prices they are charging for the upper suites…Presumably because they think that people will, at that time of year, pay extra for more inside space…Or with the understanding they can discount them later through the move up program…

After agreeing you wouldn’t get much use of a balcony in February you do get some pleasant weather in the Southern Med at all times of the year…You just need to be in the right place at the right time!!!

1 minute ago, chemmo said:

No! However, I am surprised at the fairly high prices they are charging for the upper suites…Presumably because they think that people will, at that time of year, pay extra for more inside space…Or with the understanding they can discount them later through the move up program…

After agreeing you wouldn’t get much use of a balcony in February you do get some pleasant weather in the Southern Med at all times of the year…You just need to be in the right place at the right time!!!

If your balcony is in the sun and you are out of the wind , it can be very nice 

But when you use to 1°c in February, 10°c will a topical heat wave 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If your balcony is in the sun and you are out of the wind , it can be very nice 

But when you use to 1°c in February, 10°c will a topical heat wave 😁

Lots of Brits head off to year round resorts in the Mediterranean between November and April. They know the weather will not be wonderful but they are fairly sure it will be warmer than the UK…In addition they will get good deals on accommodation and lots of restaurants will offer ‘deals’…With heating costs as they are perhaps a cruise at this time of year in the Med isn’t such a bad idea!

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Reposition cruises also offer good value.

That used to be the case some years back.  Not so much these days as these cruises have become more and more popular.  The X WB Transatlantic cruises we have taken in the last decade have all been sold out or very nearly so.  The only savings is in port charges 😉  And we're talking hard core cruisers returning to these year after year.  It's now also typical that the suites are sold out early.  I just looked at the Fall 2025 options (again) - over a year from now - and it's the same story, especially for Retreat cabins.  Normally we could book in the Spring and have a decent selection from which to choose.  Fall 2025 WB TAs are as booked as I've ever seen them:

Constellation 16nt, Rome-Tampa = Retreat sold out

Eclipse 13nt, Barcelona - FLL = 1 Sunset and 1 Aqua left

Equinox 15nt, Lisbon - Buenos Aires = Retreat sold out

Apex 13nt, Southhamptom - Orlando = 1 Sky left

Ascent 14nt, Lisbon - FLL = 1 Sky Left and 1 CS left

And among what few remained, you can be assured there are no 'bargains'.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

That used to be the case some years back.  Not so much these days as these cruises have become more and more popular.  The X WB Transatlantic cruises we have taken in the last decade have all been sold out or very nearly so.  The only savings is in port charges 😉  And we're talking hard core cruisers returning to these year after year.  It's now also typical that the suites are sold out early.  I just looked at the Fall 2025 options (again) - over a year from now - and it's the same story, especially for Retreat cabins.  Normally we could book in the Spring and have a decent selection from which to choose.  Fall 2025 WB TAs are as booked as I've ever seen them:

The repositions from Florida or San Juan to the Northeast have been bargains for me in the past. I missed out on a Repo this yr on Princess. Ft Lauderdale to NYC stopping at ABC, St Kitts and San Juan 12 days for under 2,000 in a balcony with the plus package. My wife couldn't get away from work that week  Once you add in the flight for those European destinations it's no longer a bargain plus there are a lot of sea days and the itineraries aren't all that great. 

we love the TA's. Even though every cabin will be occupied, with no children (there were 3 on our last TA) and few if any cabins with 3 or more passengers, the ships rarely seem crowded. Great way to relax - we have sat out on our balcony almost every day of every crossing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re booked on the Apex from Southampton to the Canaries next April, looking at the website it seems lots and lots of availability and very few people in the Roll Call, but the prices keep going up! 

5 hours ago, little britain said:

I don’t think a balcony in the Med in Feb would get a lot of use! 🌧️ 💨 🌊 

Med cruises tend to be port intensive so balconies don't get much use whatever the time of year . However choose the right cabin and there is no reason why you can't use the balcony on most sea days - we know we do.

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Once you add in the flight for those European destinations it's no longer a bargain plus there are a lot of sea days and the itineraries aren't all that great. 

Which is why they're already booked so heavily, right? 

First, there are truly hard core cruisers who help to keep these itineraries filled who are already in Europe when they embark.  They've just finished spending time somewhere in Europe and are hopping a ride home on a ship either as transport home from a land vacation or as a B2B or S2S from a recently completed European cruise.. 

Second, "a lot of at sea days" are one of the reasons that these cruises are popular.  Some enjoy the shipboard experience itself as much as the 'mobile hotel' experience visiting various ports.  I can see that doesn't appeal to you, but it appeals to enough that these itineraries are well booked and hence no particular 'bargain' on a pp/pn basis.

Net:  You won't ever see any of these cruises showing up in the Exciting Deals list of under-subscribed and price-reduced cruises, which is the subject of the conversation.

• Thanks 1

Odd. There are almost no cabins available for this cru

21 minutes ago, Faels said:

No transatlantic cruises in Exciting Deals? 

IMG_0133.png

Yes, but only if you're looking for an inside cabin, and there's only 4 of those left showing in inventory this morning.  Check the *.pdf spreadsheet again.  I don't even know why they bothered to add this one to the list.  All common categories are either sold out or showing 1~2 cabins remaining.

Spreadsheet.jpg.9266204af7a99b8da547d7d6e087c3b2.jpg

First, there are truly hard core cruisers who help to keep these itineraries filled who are already in Europe when they embark.  They've just finished spending time somewhere in Europe and are hopping a ride home on a ship either as transport home from a land vacation or as a B2B or S2S from a recently completed European cruise.. 

Second, "a lot of at sea days" are one of the reasons that these cruises are popular.  Some enjoy the shipboard experience itself as much as the 'mobile hotel' experience visiting various ports.  I can see that doesn't appeal to you, but it appeals to enough that these itineraries are well booked and hence no particular 'bargain' on a pp/pn basis.

Net:  You won't ever see any of these cruises showing up in the Exciting Deals list of under-subscribed and price-reduced cruises, which is the subject of the conversation.

Hardcore with a lot of spare time. 12 days is still pushing it for us since my wife still works.

2 minutes ago, Texed said:

What date is this?

Sorry.  Wrong ship?

I have zero idea what I was looking at now.

1) Only Equinox is doing ex: Lisbon TA's this year or next, neither of which are 14nt

2) I see NO WB TA's at all for 2025 that are 14nt, much less Ascent

Now you've got me wondering what popped up on the screen!

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

Rechecked Ascent for Fall 2025:

13nt, Rome - FLL = 1 Sky Left (9190), no other suites

Thanks! I am on Ascent for the October 31, 2025 transatlantic .

I am glad they didn't make changes I knew nothing about.  😂

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Texed said:

Thanks! I am on Ascent for the October 31, 2025 transatlantic .

I am glad they didn't make changes I knew nothing about.  😂

What I can't for the life of me figure out is what it was that was on the screen at the time.  As I say, there aren't any X cruises that fit ANY of the parameters I picked up for that entry!  And the Fall 2026 schedules aren't out yet, so couldn't have fat fingered that.

Edited by canderson
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

The thing you need to watch about on the cheapest cruises is the itinerary.  I saw a 13 day repo cruise that was a non-stop.  Not my cup of tea.

I’d love that!  A “cruise to nowhere” that goes somewhere.  Sea days rule.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

you missed a third group - people who live "this side of the pond" for whom the TA is the first leg followed possibly by a Caribbean cruise or a land vacation before the flight home.

The ship board experience is indeed totally different to a port intensive cruise and one we totally enjoy including:

1) Daily Beyond the Podium speakers with time to develop their talks

2) extra shows in the theatre - for example matinees.

3) Guest performers will often do extra presentations/talks.

4) More interaction by the Officers who will often put up teams for some of the quizes, sporting events etc.

5) More passenger led events - Slot Pulls, Book Clubs, Cabin Crawls, Poker runs etc

5) Generally a much more relaxing pace of life.

As always you are free to do as much or as little as you like

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just curious we love repo cruises but have never seen one with 13 days non stop - which route was it? Thanks 

Windstar Wind Spirit

November 5, 2024

Lisbon - Barbados

14 nights

Windstar Wind Star

November 15

Lisbon - Barbados 

14 nights

Windstar Wind Surf

December 7

Lisbon -St. Maarten

14 nights

These ships return to Lisbon in March 2025.

I was investigating some cruise fares and came across these.

Also,

Windstar Star Breeze

January 5, 2005

Tahiti - Costa Rica

14 nights

Edited by jlawrence01
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

Windstar Wind Spirit

November 5, 2024

Lisbon - Barbados

14 nights

Windstar Wind Star

November 15

Lisbon - Barbados 

14 nights

Windstar Wind Surf

December 7

Lisbon -St. Maarten

14 nights

These ships return to Lisbon in March 2025.

I was investigating some cruise fares and came across these.

Also,

Windstar Star Breeze

January 5, 2005

Tahiti - Costa Rica

14 nights

Thank you. This is really not comparing apples with apples although I agree there are lots of sea days. With our mobility issues there is no way we could do this type of cruise.

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The repositions from Florida or San Juan to the Northeast have been bargains for me in the past. I missed out on a Repo this yr on Princess. Ft Lauderdale to NYC stopping at ABC, St Kitts and San Juan 12 days for under 2,000 in a balcony with the plus package. My wife couldn't get away from work that week  Once you add in the flight for those European destinations it's no longer a bargain plus there are a lot of sea days and the itineraries aren't all that great. 

Often anything that starts or ends in SJ, I'm sure it's to offset the assumed more expensive airfare

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

Cruises that have significant changes to itinerary can be a bargain. For example, Infinity in the Mediterranean as the Israel/Egypt stops were cancelled. If you simply wanted a Mediterranean break at a good price….I know several UK cruisers have picked up on these, especially if you are not ‘room faddy’. Suite prices haven’t particularly fallen nor have Aqua but verandas and below have.

We did this in March this year on Infinity. The balcony prices started around the £460pp for 10 nights and Aqua I think was around the £699 mark, which is the reason we took it 👍.

26 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Often anything that starts or ends in SJ, I'm sure it's to offset the assumed more expensive airfare

It depends where you are coming from and going to. It was cheaper for me to get a flight to San Juan than a flight to Fort Lauderdale when I lived in NY. If it's repositioning back to NY than it's only a one way flight. I remember one year paying $250 pp booking 2 interior rooms. First and last time in an interior but we sucked it up because it was a last minute deal with limited inventory. The flights on JetBlue were cheap too $109 each. It would have been more expensive to stay home. Our neighbors jumped on that deal when they heard what we booked.