Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

Shinkansen update this morning. Many tourists couldn’t travel to Tokyo for their flights.IMG_0106.thumb.png.34a0e87da6c8eaee2b0b1726a3766117.png

Will travel to Kobe this afternoon for errands. It’s more convenient to stay in Kyoto than in Kobe while waiting the ship.

• Thanks 1

Hiroshima

Last minute, we realised that we were on the first sailing where the port had changed to Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf from our original port of Itsukaichi. We weren’t sure if there would be a free port shuttle until we left the ship. As it was, the shuttle actually drops you off at the Port of Hiroshima, where you can either take the tram into the city or catch the high-speed ferry to Miyajima. We did the latter and purchased the tickets, inside the terminal at the far end. You have a choice of a return ticket - we didn’t dock until 1pm and the last high-speed ferry leaves at 5pm - or purchasing a single/one-way and returning on the alternative route: shorter ferry route to Miyajimaguchi and then the train.

Dear villauk,

Love your review but I have few questions about this port:

1/ Is the Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf now a permanent port for the Millenium or just a temporary thing?

2/ When you mentioned the Port of Hiroshima, are you talking about the container port located at Tsukimicho, 734-0054, Japan? 

3/ Was there an easy way to go from the Port of Hiroshima to Hiroshima JR Station?

Thank you

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Hiroshima

Last minute, we realised that we were on the first sailing where the port had changed to Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf from our original port of Itsukaichi. We weren’t sure if there would be a free port shuttle until we left the ship. As it was, the shuttle actually drops you off at the Port of Hiroshima, where you can either take the tram into the city or catch the high-speed ferry to Miyajima. We did the latter and purchased the tickets, inside the terminal at the far end. You have a choice of a return ticket - we didn’t dock until 1pm and the last high-speed ferry leaves at 5pm - or purchasing a single/one-way and returning on the alternative route: shorter ferry route to Miyajimaguchi and then the train.

Dear villauk,

Love your review but I have few questions about this port:

1/ Is the Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf now a permanent port for the Millenium or just a temporary thing?

2/ When you mentioned the Port of Hiroshima, are you talking about the container port located at Tsukimicho, 734-0054, Japan? 

3/ Was there an easy way to go from the Port of Hiroshima to Hiroshima JR Station?

Thank you

1. I’m not sure if it’s a permanent port going forward or not. It may have something to do with the ships that are in port on that particular day. I’d keep checking the reviews following ours and that may confirm either way. No doubt @monkey@cruise will report on their experience on the cruise they are about to board 👍. It may be best to plan for either one and then you know you’re covered for both occurrences.

2 & 3. The shuttle drops you off at the Port of Hiroshima and you either have the option of jumping on the streetcar (tram) into the city, where you be able to get to the train stations, or like we did, go to an island by ferry. @monkey@cruise posted the map on #121 & #123 on this thread.

Edited by villauk

Disembarkation was a breeze. We had ticket 3 and were called at our designated time of 7.25am, the same time as the self-disembarkation. We collected the suitcases from the hall, left the customs area after handing in the form and our transfer was waiting for us (excellent service from JC Limousine Service - they had been contacting us the previous day confirming details etc.).

It looked like it had been raining in Tokyo as we made our way to the airport. Drop-off was easy and from Terminal 3, you need to use the elevators to level 3F for departures.

Off to the lounge 😉 …..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, villauk said:

Disembarkation was a breeze. We had ticket 3 and were called at our designated time of 7.25am, the same time as the self-disembarkation. We collected the suitcases from the hall, left the customs area after handing in the form and our transfer was waiting for us (excellent service from JC Limousine Service - they had been contacting us the previous day confirming details etc.).

It looked like it had been raining in Tokyo as we made our way to the airport. Drop-off was easy and from Terminal 3, you need to use the elevators to level 3F for departures.

Off to the lounge 😉 …..

Is the Yokohama Port Building very close to where you disembark ship? Thx.

1 minute ago, DebDuh said:

Is the Yokohama Port Building very close to where you disembark ship? Thx.

Yes. Our driver took us down to the basement in the lifts where he had parked, straight after coming out of the customs hall. The Port Buulding was on the left as we drove out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Yes. Our driver took us down to the basement in the lifts where he had parked, straight after coming out of the customs hall. The Port Buulding was on the left as we drove out.

Thank you!

• Like 1

IMG_0107.thumb.png.bcd64631299be183e25ae03920fccc16.png

Typhoon moved out to the sea away from Osaka and Kobe, Kobe was partly sunny with 32C temperature. Heavy rain in Shimizu area with flooding. Shinkansen still suspending service between Nagoya and Tokyo. Millennium will hit the storm tomorrow when sailing to Kobe. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

IMG_0107.thumb.png.bcd64631299be183e25ae03920fccc16.png

Typhoon moved out to the sea away from Osaka and Kobe, Kobe was partly sunny with 32C temperature. Heavy rain in Shimizu area with flooding. Shinkansen still suspending service between Nagoya and Tokyo. Millennium will hit the storm tomorrow when sailing to Kobe. 

Keep us updated. Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

Sunny, hot and humid weather in Kyoto. Because of heavy flooded and washed out train tracks, Shinkansen service is still cut off between Nagoya and Tokyo. Went to Kobe yesterday to have a Kobe beef lunch in a butcher shop. IMG_6794.thumb.jpeg.09773e4114062a8eab9eaec8bde87521.jpeg

IMG_6800.thumb.jpeg.86d6838fdf7c0fa7699c097c48776da4.jpeg

Visit the Herb Garden and Kobe Chinatown, then to Umeda-Osaka for shopping and picked up Osaka pass to be used during Osaka stop. Waiting RCCL instructions on Kobe embarkment. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Sunny, hot and humid weather in Kyoto. Because of heavy flooded and washed out train tracks, Shinkansen service is still cut off between Nagoya and Tokyo. Went to Kobe yesterday to have a Kobe beef lunch in a butcher shop. IMG_6794.thumb.jpeg.09773e4114062a8eab9eaec8bde87521.jpeg

IMG_6800.thumb.jpeg.86d6838fdf7c0fa7699c097c48776da4.jpeg

Visit the Herb Garden and Kobe Chinatown, then to Umeda-Osaka for shopping and picked up Osaka pass to be used during Osaka stop. Waiting RCCL instructions on Kobe embarkment. 

Did the Kobe beef live up to your expectations? 😁

51 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Did the Kobe beef live up to your expectations? 😁

No 18% gratuities, meat quantity is better than onboard Tuscan grille. Customer can either pick the set lunch or buy steak from them and pay 500 yen cooking fee. You can enjoy Kobe beef without breaking your wallet. The shop is not in tourist area but 99% customers are tourist. IMG_6795.thumb.jpeg.0cf83bec8040e9f51b4926ebf9401c95.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

The shop is not in tourist area

I love privately owned shops like this.  I use to have a yakitori place that I frequented where I was about the only non-Japanese that ate there.  It was great to sit at the counter and have my yakitori and beer.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I love privately owned shops like this.  I use to have a yakitori place that I frequented where I was about the only non-Japanese that ate there.  It was great to sit at the counter and have my yakitori and beer.  

The overhead board display the certificate number for the Kobe beef and Waygu beef. Don’t eat Japan beef - import from North America or Australia. I had a local beer with the meal for extra 500 yen. Also, I went to Ine village - the Venice of Japan, see Sea of Japan.

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

Still no instructions from RCCL regarding my embarkment at Kobe port. Anyone knows what the protocol is?  If no ship staff at the terminal, will store my luggage in cruise terminal lockers, have fun in Kobe and checkin when I have done my Kobe day. The ship will leave at 3am, so I have the time. 

4 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Hi Everyone,

Still no instructions from RCCL regarding my embarkment at Kobe port. Anyone knows what the protocol is?  If no ship staff at the terminal, will store my luggage in cruise terminal lockers, have fun in Kobe and checkin when I have done my Kobe day. The ship will leave at 3am, so I have the time. 

I’m sure someone will point you in the right direction when you meet the ship at Kobe. I saw a couple disembark in Nagasaki with their luggage and the security guy said that the shore-side personnel had got all the details when they went through. He was communicating with them on his walkie-talkie 👍

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

I’m sure someone will point you in the right direction when you meet the ship at Kobe. I saw a couple disembark in Nagasaki with their luggage and the security guy said that the shore-side personnel had got all the details when they went through. He was communicating with them on his walkie-talkie 👍

Thanks @villauk

May be I should act like a replacement crew. Kyoto station will go crazy tomorrow because Shinkansen resume operation. 

Went to Ginkakuji (silver temple) and Philosopher’s Path (I am brain death)

saw Hokkaido green house cantaloupes selling 3900 yen each, wonder if the ship stock any??

IMG_6835.thumb.jpeg.450fa8bec844849caf10d5b682635b6b.jpeg

IMG_6828.thumb.jpeg.55ac70ff675aeaff53ecf24a7d8ef739.jpeg

• Like 3

I said that I’d give a few afterthoughts from our sailing; I’ll list it under headings so that you can skip to the relevant section which interests you.

Travel to & from Japan

It may not suit everyone, but I’d definitely fly from another country again if it meant I could travel in business class and make the huge savings that we did. We thought of Oslo as an ‘extra’ to our Japan vacation and thoroughly enjoyed our time there (we absolutely love Norway and I’d move there tomorrow if asked - very jealous of @Norwaylady 🤣).

As it was our DS’s birthday, we were able to celebrate somewhere different, enjoying a family meal together opening his gifts and cards (unfortunately, this cost Mom & Dad ‘extra’ money though 😂). Lufthansa wasn’t the best business class we have experienced, but there was nothing wrong with the service, food or lounges; I’d say their entertainment system and older seating lets them down against the UEA carriers. That being said, I’d easily fly them again.

Hotel in Yokohama 

The Citadines was perfect for location to the cruise port and really easy to get to from HND by bus. The rooms were large compared to what we were expecting in Japan. Staff, as per Japan as a whole, were professional and willing to assist with every request. The only downside was the lack of a bar or restaurant for breakfast/coming in late after a full day touring etc - a plethora of restaurants are very close and Tully’s coffee shop is across the way, so don’t let this deter you from staying here. Genuinely, this wasn’t a problem, but I mention it as it would enhance the experience of staying there (probably the cost too 🤭). We would definitely stay at the Citadines again and walk to the terminal 👍.

Millennium

Yes, she’s an older ship so don’t expect the same as E Class as you won’t find it. She’s received a facelift, but not by a very reputable plastic surgeon 🤪. If the ship is the most important thing on your vacation, then look elsewhere. I believe X place these older ships on unusual itineraries as they know cruisers will book for the itinerary and not the ship in general. Our SV balcony was huge, but we knew it would be as we’ve stayed in them previously. We like the shaded area directly outside the patio doors. Miss Hoppen’s decor is okay but lacks sailing functionality.

The service was great and we had the same waitstaff every night as I’d pre-booked a table for the same time. Yes, we were later a few nights but the  maitre d’ was expecting us. Cafe al Bacio now offer mini sandwiches, as well as the cakes - improvement. We always said that they should offer some savoury items like Princess do at the International Cafe.

There were some brilliant local acts like the drummers and the usual performances by the ship entertainment staff. We tend not to visit the X performances any longer - or usually don’t but will have to next April when we have some ‘newbies’ with us in our group of 9 😲!

Food is subjective; we had some very nice meals on board and others we wouldn’t choose again. We always ask for extra steamed vegetables with our meals in the MDR. An abundance were produced on this sailing 😁. We thought the starters were quite limited, so my DS took it upon himself to order one of the mains as a starter - this wasn’t a problem. Three lads in their twenties consume lots of food 😀! We also liked the added speciality choice every night e.g. chicken teriyaki etc. It made a nice change. Don’t rely on the App for the correct menus as they were more often than not wrong. (In fact, the App was incorrect in general, including where activities were held etc.)

Buy Premium WiFi or use your free minutes as the Basic WiFi will not do much. I couldn’t even view websites as most had so much information missing that they didn’t make sense! I used my free allocation and then upgraded halfway into the cruise at the reduced rate. The two older boys upgraded straight away and our youngest shared with his older brother after using his free minutes (worked well as they made arrangements with their partners to call at designated times and FaceTime).

Japan

Japan is amazing! We loved the ethos: respect and consideration. Everywhere was clean - no litter bins, yet no litter either. Everyone takes their litter home. No graffiti, clean and well organised, just the place for me 😉. All the transport is on time; we literally walked from one train straight on to another. 

I planned and pre-booked most of our tours, essential when you are travelling in a larger group. All of our guides communicated with us prior to our visit. They were informative and listened to what suited us. They were considerate during our tours and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Yes, we could have completed some on our own, but we would never have learnt or discovered what we did about the places without them. I’m sure we got a lot more out of our experiences than some pax who wandered aimlessly through very busy cities (not criticising this, just saying that planning your days can work in your favour).

Be prepared to make changes and go with the flow. We had a change of itinerary because of the typhoon and we heard pax on the next table to us saying that X were conning us and had changed the itinerary because it suited them better - yes, we really heard that 🤦‍♀️! @chemmo add that one to your list 🤣.

Don’t go to Japan in the summer months unless you like intense heat and humidity 🥵, and I mean intense. It was unfortunate that we’d booked this cruise 18 months out, before I had decided to take early retirement, otherwise we would have waited until October time to sail. Next time, and I do hope we get the opportunity to return to Japan, we’ll go for spring or autumn.

I love travelling with my family and friends and cherish all the happy times we have spent together travelling the world, making wonderful memories. Our youngest DS was 4 when we took our first cruise, so he’s had some wonderful vacations over the years; thank goodness I didn’t listen to my DH and wait until our 25th anniversary to take our first cruise 😂.

Finally, thanks to all who followed my review and also to @Miaminice, @DaKahuna and @monkey@cruise who provided so much valuable information both pre and during our cruise - you’re all stars 🤩. @monkey@cruise hope you board today and have as good a time as we did - thanks again. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Nice to know you are now all safely home after such a fantastic experience. I have (as you know) been enjoying my vicarious cruise with my morning coffee. I will miss it.

I think your comments about Millie (and M class generally) are very fair. They are older ships and refits invariably never have the ‘finish’ of an original fit. As you say the designer didn’t help either. We cruised Silhouette in a suite that pre refit had a lovely spacious bathroom with lots of drawers to put your stuff in. Post Hoppen, all open shelving! Useless in stormy seas and who wants their cosmetics on show!?! 

It will be a great experience next year when 7 become 9…My son’s partner coming with us has added a new feel to our cruises. Those of us with multiple cruises behind us can be a bit blasé about so many things…a new pair of eyes add a new perspective…

The comment you heard at GS doesn’t surprise me in the least but it did amuse me! 

Well settle down to enjoying retirement now…No excuses for a badly planned next cruise!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

saw Hokkaido green house cantaloupes selling 3900 yen each, wonder if the ship stock any??

My magic 8-ball says "Highly unlikely"    🤣

• Haha 2