Will there be a chance to explore the departure port?

Hi All, 

We are cruising with NCL from Lisbon using one of their Fly/Cruise packages, and we are wondering if there will be the option to explore Lisbon before the ship departs? The package includes transfers from airport to port, but I wanted to understand if there is the chance to drop luggage and then explore before formally checking in to the terminal.

In theory you can check in and then head out before boarding, but I have never tried it and it very much depends on your timings, as everyone has to be on the ship two hours before departure, so you may not have much time.

There are a couple of practical points for Lisbon. On the positive side, the cruise port is very central and you are very close to a few places (Place de Comercio and Alfama spring to mind).

However, a major negative is the entry into the terminal, where everyone has to have their passports checked as you enter. We were early arriving and only waited for about half an hour to get in, but the queue was much longer soon afterwards and I think people queued for considerable longer than an hour.

I wouldn’t count on being able to do much.

Thanks for the info, TBH it's more of the nerdy thing of getting a Geocache in Portugal to "dip" my Cruise Travel bug into before setting of to other places... Will do some more research to see if there is an easy one nearby...

31 minutes ago, Legodude_uk said:

Thanks for the info, TBH it's more of the nerdy thing of getting a Geocache in Portugal to "dip" my Cruise Travel bug into before setting of to other places... Will do some more research to see if there is an easy one nearby...

Are you able to change the flights so you come in a day early? That would give you extra time. I know in the US you can request it 110 or more days prior, but I know the UK does have different rules.

We never arrive the day of the cruise. Too many things can go wrong.

Unless UK customers aren't allowed to add a front-end deviation (US cruisers can come in up to two days in advance), definitely do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

We never arrive the day of the cruise. Too many things can go wrong.

Unless UK customers aren't allowed to add a front-end deviation (US cruisers can come in up to two days in advance), definitely do that.

As mentioned it is booked as part of the package so NCL will make sure we get on board...

8 minutes ago, Legodude_uk said:

As mentioned it is booked as part of the package so NCL will make sure we get on board...

That's fine. But I thought your concern was being able to see the city before the cruise. Getting in a day or two early lets you do that.

I haven't embarked in Lisbon, but you should be able to drop off your luggage before entering the terminal. But if not, as has been said, it's in avery central location so you should be able to pick up a cache or two. 😄 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

That's fine. But I thought your concern was being able to see the city before the cruise. Getting in a day or two early lets you do that.

The main concern is being a nerd 🤣 although a lot of people are very concerned about that for me already!!

Edited by Legodude_uk
spelling
  • Haha 2

What time does your flight arrive on the day of the cruise?  If it's super early, you just might want to give up the NCL transportation to the pier , and strike out on your own.  Grab a taxi, pay for a short drive around tour, then get dropped off at the cruise ship 2-3 hours before departure.  Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, Legodude_uk said:

The main concern is being a nerd 🤣 although a lot of people are very concerned about that for me already!!

I applaude all sorts of nerdness! 😄 
There seems to be a cache right by the terminal and another one a few hundred meters away.

2 minutes ago, Asawi said:

I applaude all sorts of nerdness! 😄 
There seems to be a cache right by the terminal and another one a few hundred meters away.

Doing lots of research... Will also need to find a fridge magnet for our collection... so hopefully will be able to achieve that as well

43 minutes ago, Legodude_uk said:

If it’s ncl premium air yes, but if it’s b1g1, then no, unless rules are different in the UK. They sell you discount flights, if there are any airline issues you need to deal with the airline. You need to get yourself to the ship.

• Like 1

I have been to Lisbon a couple of times and can report that you will dock easy walking distance to the Alfama (old town) and the main square.  Uber is very inexpensive and Lisbon is awash in refrigerator magnets.  Also good to know is that the sail in/out is very nice, passing the aforementioned square and several of the monuments in the Belem area.  There is a much smaller rendition of Rio's "Christ the Redeemer" on the opposite side of the river and a bridge that looks just like the Golden Gate in San Francisco - it was built by the same company.  The little egg custard tarts called Pastel de Nada are delicious and the local white wine, Vino Verde, is very good.  I guess you can tell I really like Lisbon!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Legodude_uk said:

Doing lots of research... Will also need to find a fridge magnet for our collection... so hopefully will be able to achieve that as well

I can't remember what Lisbon cruise terminal is like, but I would not be surprised if you could buy a fridge magnet there. The Fado museum is very near and probably has a museum shop and there is a square (Praca de comercio) where there's probably a lot of souvenir junk about 10-15 minutes walk away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I have been to Lisbon a couple of times and can report that you will dock easy walking distance to the Alfama (old town) and the main square.  Uber is very inexpensive and Lisbon is awash in refrigerator magnets.  Also good to know is that the sail in/out is very nice, passing the aforementioned square and several of the monuments in the Belem area.  There is a much smaller rendition of Rio's "Christ the Redeemer" on the opposite side of the river and a bridge that looks just like the Golden Gate in San Francisco - it was built by the same company.  The little egg custard tarts called Pastel de Nada are delicious and the local white wine, Vino Verde, is very good.  I guess you can tell I really like Lisbon!

I feel like a Pastel de Nada is a must...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are also these ladies who sell shots of the local liquor in chocolate cups right from the doorways or windows of their houses for 1 or 2 euros in the Alfama.  Just be careful not to get lost in the Alfama as it is like a maze.  If you are sure you have enough time then take a ride on the No. 28 tram.  It's a great tour of the city and loads of fun. It's also full of pickpockets so be aware.

Edited by Travelling2Some

1 hour ago, Legodude_uk said:

Don't count on that.  There have been way too many reports on Cruise Critic of passengers who booked their flights through NCL, then missing a connection or not making it to the port on time.  NCL does not control the flights.  They merely act as your travel agent in booking them and they typically select the least expensive routing.  It usually works out fine, but not always.  If you can ask NCL for a diversion to arrive a day earlier, I would strongly recommend doing so.

• Like 2

It would definitely depend on what time your flight arrives in Lisbon, how long it takes you to get through customs, pick up luggage, how efficient their transfers are getting to terminal then checking in. I’ve never flown in or sailed out of Lisbon but everywhere else those hours just fly be😖

Dropping off hand luggage to cabin, if pos, then checking in with muster station would be my priority before going ashore.

Having read so many horror stories with NCL flights, agree with all above that said , ask to fly in the day before.

NCL also asks for an On board checkin at least 2 hours before sail on embarkation day, it’s in paperwork, on website or app somewhere. So unless you have a really late sail out time, could mean just a dash to terminal shops for a magnet.

I have not sailed from Lisbon.  But I think every cruise I have been on has had me drop my bags off outside of the main terminal somewhere before entering the building.  So in any port, I would have been able to drop all my luggage (except what I wanted to carry on the ship, of course) and then walk, taxi, uber, whatever away to go anywhere.  So If Lisbon is the same AND there is time to do so, the OP should be able to drop their bags off and then explore as they want to.  As long as they are back at the terminal building in time to do the check-in process and board the ship by the cutoff time.  NCL usually wants you on board at least 2 hours prior to sailing, but the OP should verify the time for their particular cruise.

We've had a port stop at Lisbon, and also disembarked at Lisbon before.  You can walk 10-15min to Alfama, where you can take lots of pics with the statues, gate, and there are lots of restaurants/shops.  Can take tram from there.

But flying in at least a day before, is the best option.

We're going to embark from Lisbon this Dec., for a TA cruise.  The ship leaves port at 9pm, so there's lots of time to get on ship, then go back out to explore.  I just hope there'll be a different line for people getting back on ship vs those just embarking.