Queen Mary 2 - Britannia Club cabin question

FSW2024

Hello, I don’t know if anyone could help me with a query on QM2, Britannia Club Balcony rooms.

I’ve never been on a cruise before, and I’ve just booked a 4 day trip on QM2 for next May (2025) incl a day in Hamburg for myself and a friend. 

At this stage, I have no idea if I would be prone to sea sickness as, like explained, I’ve never cruised before.

We’ve been allocated Britannia Club Balcony Stateroom 12025 and when searching this number in relation to QM2, I found the below short review which has rather concerned me . .

‘Britannia Club Balcony.

Vibrations felt often in 12025 and 12027, occasionally very annoying. Great balcony, horrible beds’.

I’ve looked at the deck plan and I can see that the room also has a connecting door which I don’t really like as I’ve read there can be noise heard from neighbouring cabins.

Obviously, as I’ve booked so far in advance, it’s easy to change my stateroom but, to be honest, I’ve got no idea *what* to change it to, if you see what I mean?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

Hello, I don’t know if anyone could help me with a query on QM2, Britannia Club Balcony rooms.

I’ve never been on a cruise before, and I’ve just booked a 4 day trip on QM2 for next May (2025) incl a day in Hamburg for myself and a friend. 

At this stage, I have no idea if I would be prone to sea sickness as, like explained, I’ve never cruised before.

We’ve been allocated Britannia Club Balcony Stateroom 12025 and when searching this number in relation to QM2, I found the below short review which has rather concerned me . .

‘Britannia Club Balcony.

Vibrations felt often in 12025 and 12027, occasionally very annoying. Great balcony, horrible beds’.

I’ve looked at the deck plan and I can see that the room also has a connecting door which I don’t really like as I’ve read there can be noise heard from neighbouring cabins.

Obviously, as I’ve booked so far in advance, it’s easy to change my stateroom but, to be honest, I’ve got no idea *what* to change it to, if you see what I mean?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello, Welcome to CC and the Cunard Boards!

That's an A2 grade cabin. If you can get it changed and want to remain in same grade I would suggest trying for; 12037, 12035, 12033, 12031 or 12029. None of those have connecting doors. We go for an A1 near staircase B. We had it before and liked it.

Can't say that we noticed any vibration there.

If the port side would be OK, you could look at; 12028, 12026, 12024, 12022 or 12020.

Theoretically the further aft you move from your current cabin, bearing in mind there are none aft of stairway B on deck 12, the more stable it will be. I doubt if we'd notice any difference.

Edit: There are also A2s on deck 13. None appear to be connecting. They are slightly more modern having been added in 2016.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

horrible beds

Forgot that bit.

We found the beds very comfortable. Most comments I've read, and reviews on YouTube agree with that.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

Obviously, as I’ve booked so far in advance, it’s easy to change my stateroom

thought I'd have a quick look at availability.

I don't see any on deck 12. There are 8 cabins showing on deck 13, 3 on starboard, remainder on port.

I'm afraid you haven't really booked that far in advance. Many of these cabins would have been booked when the sailings were released last October.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  I really appreciate it. I might try and get one on Deck 13 if they’re more modern as I might prefer it. What is the plus of Portside cabin or any minuses? 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

We’ve been allocated Britannia Club Balcony Stateroom 12025

FSW2024,

We have done 4 Crossings on the QM2 in various cabin categories and for us, Britannia Club is the sweet spot. So I think you will really enjoy this cruise. We have stayed in 12022, which is on the port side of the ship but almost directly across from 12025. We had no problems with noise or vibrations. On all 4 of our Crossings we have found the beds to be incredibly comfortable but of course this is a subjective thing. We tend to like a firmer mattress. 

On our last QM2 cruise, just 2 months ago, we had a cabin with a connecting door. I was a bit annoyed with myself when I discovered this as I thought I had booked a cabin that did not connect. However, this turned out not to be a problem and by the second day had completely forgotten about it. However, I will still try to avoid connecting cabins in the future if possible. 

The QM2 is a very stable ship primarily because she is an ocean liner and not a cruise ship by design.  So seasickness shouldn't be a problem. However, I highly recommend bringing a bag of candied ginger and chew one each morning. In my opinion, this is the best sea sickness prevention step you can take. No side effects and super effective.

Hope this helps.

Jack

• Like 3

Thx Jack, that’s really helpful. 

The thing with connecting doors is, it’s a bit like terraced houses (although I don’t think you have those in US much). You really are reliant on who your neighbours are so it’s all a bit risky. 

I’m going to ring Cunard tomorrow and get them to change it. 

• Like 1

I am also prone to sea-sickness, once on a lake! But QM2 you may get the odd lurch but it's remarkably stable. I was on the QM2 that got held in the German Bight due to rough seas, seas so rough that the Hamburg Elbe pilot was unable to safely board QM2. Without the pilot QM2 cannot enter the Elbe. At the time, after dinner, I thought it was a little frisky outside - they closed off all promenade decks - but didn't think much of it, went to bed. Next morning I was quite surprised to get the captain's announcement that we were still many hours from Hamburg. Some of the other guests over breakfast didn't believe the captain's message.   But my message is that you won't get any clue as to whether you a prone to sea sickness since QM2 is like no other ship on the sea. Plus that route is much more likely to be very smooth.

• Like 2

I was also on the Hamburg short break which @Pushpit mentions. I hardly noticed the movement of the ship from my bed in 13030 and I am a light sleeper normally. Indeed, I was surprised at how bad the storm obviously was to have severely delayed our arrival into Hamburg. More recently, I was in 13011 this June. The deck 13 cabins are great in my view but I would never book an inter-connecting cabin after a terrible experience back in 2014 when I had to call the pursers’ desk and request they speak to the passengers in the adjoining room who were up until the early hours making very loud phone calls. We may have been unlucky in this case but frankly, as a light sleeper, it was awful for the first few days as we got very little sleep. If you can change your cabin to one on deck 13, I’d recommend them highly. If you are prone to travel sickness, I have found that Stugeron 15 works for me (assuming you are UK based). Have also heard great things about preserved ginger too. 

• Like 1

When it comes to seasickness meds, if you're already feeling sick, it's too late. After an interesting sailing experience on a small brigantine in the Bass Strait, I now start taking them the day before setting sail, if I have any suspicion the weather won't be friendly.

That said, I've never even noticed the QM2 rocking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kynance said:

I was also on the Hamburg short break which @Pushpit mentions. I hardly noticed the movement of the ship from my bed in 13030 and I am a light sleeper normally. Indeed, I was surprised at how bad the storm obviously was to have severely delayed our arrival into Hamburg. More recently, I was in 13011 this June. The deck 13 cabins are great in my view but I would never book an inter-connecting cabin after a terrible experience back in 2014 when I had to call the pursers’ desk and request they speak to the passengers in the adjoining room who were up until the early hours making very loud phone calls. We may have been unlucky in this case but frankly, as a light sleeper, it was awful for the first few days as we got very little sleep. If you can change your cabin to one on deck 13, I’d recommend them highly. If you are prone to travel sickness, I have found that Stugeron 15 works for me (assuming you are UK based). Have also heard great things about preserved ginger too. 

Ginger comes with the after dinner petit fours. Or it does in the Grills, anyway.

Thanks to everyone for all the really helpful comments. I’ve just come off the phone with Cunard who were very helpful. I’ve managed to change my cabin to one on Deck 13. No connecting door. So I’m really pleased about that. 

Good to know about the ginger at the end of meals. Like many have advised I will be taking medication in advance of cruise just in case. I may not experience any sickness but it’s better to be as prepared as possible. 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Best part of the after-dinner treats.  I keep candied ginger in my cupboard at home. One never knows when or where seasickness might strike.

Edited by alc13

13 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

Thanks to everyone for all the really helpful comments. I’ve just come off the phone with Cunard who were very helpful. I’ve managed to change my cabin to one on Deck 13. No connecting door. So I’m really pleased about that. 

Good to know about the ginger at the end of meals. Like many have advised I will be taking medication in advance of cruise just in case. I may not experience any sickness but it’s better to be as prepared as possible. 🙂

Giving an idea of a 13 deck stateroom 

https://youtu.be/niB75vW9oxo

• Like 1

As you’re UK based, I also recommend Stugeron. If you follow the instructions, it’s take 2 2hrs before you set sail. However, they do make you sleepy, so consider waiting until you’re ready for bed! I’ve only ever needed 1 every 24hrs at most after that. Enjoy your first cruise!

• Like 1

Regarding the Deck 13 Club staterooms, I will add one other thing I like: the balcony doors slide rather than open out to the balcony.

There is, however, a risk of motion being so far forward and high up.  I agree that the QM2 is remarkably stable, but all ships are prone to pitching in bumpy seas.  Of my 10 voyages (mostly crossings) we have encountered serious pitching only twice and it was only for one night.  That will not deter me from booking our next two voyages on Deck 13.

Thanks to those who have mentioned Stugeron.  It has been highly recommended.  When embarking in the UK I can buy it.  We never needed it (I know like all remedies it has to be taken before you feel sick, but we accepted the captain's prediction). I'm sure the last box has expired. 

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Regarding the Deck 13 Club staterooms, I will add one other thing I like: the balcony doors slide rather than open out to the balcony.

There is, however, a risk of motion being so far forward and high up.  I agree that the QM2 is remarkably stable, but all ships are prone to pitching in bumpy seas.  Of my 10 voyages (mostly crossings) we have encountered serious pitching only twice and it was only for one night.  That will not deter me from booking our next two voyages on Deck 13.

Thanks to those who have mentioned Stugeron.  It has been highly recommended.  When embarking in the UK I can buy it.  We never needed it (I know like all remedies it has to be taken before you feel sick, but we accepted the captain's prediction). I'm sure the last box has expired. 

I don’t know if you are aware you will need to buy it to a dispensing chemist. You can only buy it in places like Superdrug if they have a pharmacy in store. There are two Boots branches where you can buy in Southampton near the docks. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

I don’t know if you are aware you will need to buy it to a dispensing chemist. You can only buy it in places like Superdrug if they have a pharmacy in store. There are two Boots branches where you can buy in Southampton near the docks. 

Thanks.  I can't be 100% certain, but I think I bought it at Boots in the West Quay Mall.  That was before the pandemic. I remember the chemist asking me several questions about my health before she would hand it over.  I was pleased with that degree of care.  Since then there have been changes to our health and medications so I don't know if we would qualify for it now. 

We always travel with a supply of generic Dimenhydrinate (most people buy Gravol) which tends to work well for us.  Some British passengers we met on the QM2 told us that Stugeron was better.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Clarification

The active ingredient in Stugeron (which is marketed in the USA as well) is Cinnarizine. The chemist should have asked you about history or family history of Parkinson's as well as epilepsy. If they did that, you met a good pharmacist.