YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

We still had sinks and showers. We went up two floors to the bathrooms outside Spinnaker and were typically in the thermal suite before bed so used the toilets in the changing rooms there.

Still unusable in my opinion.  You did not book and pay (alot) for a partial use cabin.

Glad to hear about your TA helping with this.

Agree $500 doesn't fix it.

• Like 4

@YVRteacher

i had high hopes for this cruise for you  - Jewel was my favorite & first NCL

Believe me, I went kicking & screaming on a NCL cruise but it was DH company cruise - I was pleasantly surprised.  This lead us to almost Sapphire loyalty.

Princess has always been our primary since 2002 ❤️

We we too have branched out to Oceania & Celebrity - itinerary trumps cruiseline for us at this time.

Happy Cruising ! Love to Dad ❤️
We’ll be on the CB for NYE🥰

• Like 1

Yvonne…I’ve stayed in hostels that have toilets that are remote.  Cruise ship?  No way that’s acceptable, regardless of the other options.

I hope your TA has some pull.  If ever there were a cruise to throw the red flag, it’s this one!

While I am “old ship” curious, your review has me crossing them off my list.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, carohs said:

Adding that a vegetarian meal with protein is not a difficult ask. It should be a standard option on the menu everyday. 

Yes! 💯 How is it that this is not the norm? I really don't understand. Again, I feel so awful for your experience. I'm so happy that Dad is willing to try Princess. I thought you wrote that this would be your last cruise with him. You both deserve a do-over, so I'm looking forward to your next adventure together ❤️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

My WTA (wonderful travel agent) has filed a case with NCL for us.  I wish someone from higher up in NCL’s corporate structure would read this review to get a true and real picture of this recent experience on the Jewel.

My dad and I have been cruising with NCL for 14 years. We first experienced a less than stellar cruise on the Star from LA to Mexico for one week in March 2019.

We were on the Gem for a Panama Canal cruise from SF to NY in 2020 right when Covid was emerging. That was such a fantastic cruise and it was our last great cruise on NCL.  

So, we first noticed significant cutbacks in 2019. While I did have a terrific time on the Breakaway in March 2024 for Spring Break, NCL is no longer my preferred and only cruise line. I will still sail on a bigger, newer ship with NCL (especially one with Los Lobos) but am totally done with the smaller, older ships since NCL is not staffing them well and is not putting in the time and effort to train crew and ensure food is, at a minimum, even palatable.

FYI...on a lot of the bigger ships they are removing Los Lobos and expanding Cagney's!!! 

I am upset about it. I would go to Los Lobos over Cagney's any day. Last cruise on Bliss waited forever for everything in Cagney's, from water to food. And steaks were awful.  My DH said we would never eat there again. 

Edited by drumming cruisers
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yvonne…I’ve stayed in hostels that have toilets that are remote.  Cruise ship?  No way that’s acceptable, regardless of the other options.

I hope your TA has some pull.  If ever there were a cruise to throw the red flag, it’s this one!

While I am “old ship” curious, your review has me crossing them off my list.

The Island Princess is an old ship and I thought she was beautiful. She has old wooden ship charm with a modern touch! I loved her so much I’ll be boarding again in 13 weeks.  

Check her out!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, drumming cruisers said:

FYI...on a lot of the bigger ships they are removing Los Lobos and expanding Cagney's!!! 

I am upset about it. I would go to Los Lobos over Cagney's any day. Last cruise on Bliss waited forever for everything in Cagney's, from water to food. And steaks were awful.  My DH said we would never eat there again. 

Do you know which ships are removing Los Lobos?

30 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Taking away tableside guacamole is like taking away a vital organ!

That is my take on life as well. 

I know the Encore is removing Los Lobos to expand Cagney’s during the refurbishment this November. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I guess I still don't quite understand what they expected you to do without a functioning toilet in your cabin.

That guy's towel with the poop may be a clue.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

17 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The Island Princess is an old ship and I thought she was beautiful. She has old wooden ship charm with a modern touch! I loved her so much I’ll be boarding again in 13 weeks.  

Check her out!

I will be sure to follow along. We are on the 54 day cruise in 2026. Your pictures of the Island will have to do for now.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Years of practice. Mrs. Schmoopie usually just ignores me.

Wasn’t she immobile for a while last year? She couldn’t even walk away from the groaners!

(How is the lovely Mrs. Schmoopie doing?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Coolmama_1 said:

I will be sure to follow along. We are on the 54 day cruise in 2026. Your pictures of the Island will have to do for now.

Oh wow!! That’s 1/7 of a year! You will be able to conduct the Good Spirits show on your own after all those nights at sea.

• Like 1

I thought being an Ambassador would bring something special. 

On this cruise, there was no recognition and absolutely nothing extra or special.

I know that on some cruises the GM will offer Ambassadors the chance to eat in the Haven or in Moderno/Cagney’s.  I also know that on the Jewel transpacific in April an Ambassador complained to head office that the GM at the time did not allow them to eat in Moderno/Cagney’s and that they filed a complaint against the GM.  This privilege is not one that is publicized and it is not an official tier benefit so Ambassadors, be kind and don’t expect things for which you are not entitled. For the record, head office supported the GM.

I didn’t even get a hello from the Cruise Next manager and she had 14 days to say hi. We received a lot of treats in the cabin each day but that is because we were staying in a suite. I did ask the butler not to deliver anything that contained meat or fish so maybe the captain did try to send us a big ole plate of ribs but I wouldn’t know.

Just wanted to report on how NCL treated this Ambassador.

No hello.

No treats.

No flushing.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Wasn’t she immobile for a while last year? She couldn’t even walk away from the groaners!

(How is the lovely Mrs. Schmoopie doing?)

Yes...and a year later she's probably only back to about 80% mobility. Could prove to be a challenge walking the cobblestone streets and going up stairs in Rome (and all of our port stops starting this week).

We shall see...thanks for remembering and asking.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yes...and a year later she's probably only back to about 80% mobility. Could prove to be a challenge walking the cobblestone streets and going up stairs in Rome (and all of our port stops starting this week).

We shall see...thanks for remembering and asking.

Schmoopie17 - are you on the Escape out of Rome Sept 14?  We will be, too!

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

going up stairs in Rome

Just an FYI.  If you want to go to the top of the Spanish Steps, there is an elevator.  When facing the steps, on the left is a small alcove with a couple small stores.  At the back there is a lift to the top.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

Schmoopie17 - are you on the Escape out of Rome Sept 14?  We will be, too!

Yep...keep an eye out for a dashing old guy (who at least looks young), as well as his beautiful, limping wife.

Maybe we'll run into you. Your chances are greatly increased if you hang out in the bars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Just wanted to report on how NCL treated this Ambassador.

No hello.

No treats.

No flushing.

While I did not find any humor in what happened (or not happened) during your two weeks on the Jewel, you did make me chuckle with your sense of humor with this post.   

• Like 8
  • Haha 1