Day room at LHR or just stay in lounge

megr1125

I'm flying EWR-CLT-LHR-FCO this fall.  (Don't ask, using miles on AA/BA and also on UA/LX flying home and wanted to go into/out of same airport without buying a lot more miles or paying LHR's exorbitant taxes).

I'll have about a 9 hour layover at LHR and I am in Business so I have lounge access.  Looks like I'll land at T3 and depart to FCO from T5. (The only flight on BA is the LHR-FCO leg.)  I will only have 5-6 hours in a hotel (allowing transit time to and from. I'd still get back to LHR a couple hours ahead to visit the lounge and maybe browse around a bit).  Rates at the Sofitel, which would be convenient are a bit high for the few hours.  I could also try a different hotel (open to suggestions, I could leave and head to the Renaissance as I can get a really good rate there).

What do the experts think my best choice would be?  (Aside from flying nonstop and not being crazy.  I don't mind that part and it's not really not an option.)

Thanks for any advice!  

OR, I could just fly into LHR, stay overnight and book a ticket to FCO the next day.  The itinerary above gets me to FCO around 8PM so that day is shot anyway.  I could just stay by LHR and fly to FCO on the 21st.  

• Like 1

I'm sure that Globaliser will have a more localized opinion, but I would just stay in T3 and T5.  Leaving for a few hours at the Sofitel would involve immigration both ways, so your time really gets cut.  Add in security screenings and making all those transit moves eats up time.  And the Ren would require even more time.

If you have lounge access, just use it.  IMO, the Centurion Lounge in T3 is quite nice, if you have access there.  Otherwise, just grab a shower and change of clothes and relax.

As for staying overnight -- you would have either a taxi ride to the Ren, or the Hoppa.  Still more hassle, unless you really want to stay overnight.

• Like 1

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

I'm sure that Globaliser will have a more localized opinion, but I would just stay in T3 and T5.  Leaving for a few hours at the Sofitel would involve immigration both ways, so your time really gets cut.  Add in security screenings and making all those transit moves eats up time.  And the Ren would require even more time.

If you have lounge access, just use it.  IMO, the Centurion Lounge in T3 is quite nice, if you have access there.  Otherwise, just grab a shower and change of clothes and relax.

As for staying overnight -- you would have either a taxi ride to the Ren, or the Hoppa.  Still more hassle, unless you really want to stay overnight.

Thanks.  That's what I was thinking but since I haven't done it, and have only been in LHR twice, I haven't absorbed much about the airport aside from it being huge and hectic.  I did think it was the most beautiful airport I'd ever seen when I first connected there in 2019.  LOL.

I'm usually an advocate for a hotel (as a business/first flyer myself so lounge access is part of the equation), however, in this instance by the time you've got yourself to a hotel, especially non-Sofitel etc. it'll be time to head over to the airport again.

AA have an Arrivals Lounge in T3 after you clear immigration and customs and it's got decent shower rooms and a reasonable food and drink spread. It's not very big, it's not really designed with spending lots of time there in mind but you can pad it out a bit. You can then head over to Terminal 5 on the Heathrow Express/Elizabeth Line and sample the BA lounge offerings in departures.

LHR-FCO could go from any of the T5 buildings but either way you've three business class lounges (Galleries Club in BA parlance to choose from). The one in T5B is considered the quietest and nicest because most people stick around in the ones in T5A, the main building, but you can always come back to the main building, just not many people know that, or know how, want to or care about it...Due to my status it's been 10+yrs since I've been to the Galleries Club lounges but the North lounge has good views of the northern runway but is a little smaller than the South one which is generally considered the busiest. 

• Like 1

Thanks FBGD.  So going landside to use an Arrivals lounge sounds ok.  I can give myself a lot of time to get back airside.  And depending on how my knees are (arthritis, and getting gel shots in the next week or so), I may have wheelchair assistance.  I know that I haven't had an issue with the wheelchair attendant dropping me in a lounge and getting me after.  Well last year at LHR in BAs lounge (forget which one) they almost forgot me but the attendant there who coordinates those things was SUPER helpful and got it sorted after being told that I wasn't there.  She said to the person on the phone "this guest has been in FRONT of me for 45 minutes waiting, no one ever came, nice try!")  

I was among the last on the plane after the British version of Mario Andretti sped me through the place.  

Anyway, staying at LHR seems to be the best option. 

The UK border at T3 can be hit or miss in terms of congestion and hassle; sometimes it can be a major PITA, one that you could easily avoid.  Frankly, I'd just take the airside connector bus to T5 and lounge hop around the various BA lounges there.  You'd have plenty of time for showers, and ought to be able to find someplace quiet if you want to catnap.  Your 8 hour layover will be more like five hours net by the time you've changed terminals and gone through T5 security, plus an hour or so preflight for the FCO hop, so eroding that further with some landside adventures doesn't seem all that good an idea.  Just me of course.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

The UK border at T3 can be hit or miss in terms of congestion and hassle; sometimes it can be a major PITA, one that you could easily avoid.  Frankly, I'd just take the airside connector bus to T5 and lounge hop around the various BA lounges there.  You'd have plenty of time for showers, and ought to be able to find someplace quiet if you want to catnap.  Your 8 hour layover will be more like five hours net by the time you've changed terminals and gone through T5 security, plus an hour or so preflight for the FCO hop, so eroding that further with some landside adventures doesn't seem all that good an idea.  Just me of course.  

That's very helpful, thanks!   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just went through LHR several times over the course of a few days, and if I never go through that airport again, I will be happy.  There are several hotels actually at the airport.  Terminal 4 has the Premier Inn, Aerotel Terminal 2? or is it 3?, Holiday Inn and a Hilton at Terminal 4.  There may be one at 5 but I don't know anything about it.  Hopefully, I have the terminal numbers and hotel names correct.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

I just went through LHR several times over the course of a few days, and if I never go through that airport again, I will be happy.  There are several hotels actually at the airport.  Terminal 4 has the Premier Inn, Aerotel Terminal 2? or is it 3?, Holiday Inn and a Hilton at Terminal 4.  There may be one at 5 but I don't know anything about it.  Hopefully, I have the terminal numbers and hotel names correct.

Thanks...I'm leaning towards keeping my money and soaking up the atmosphere (sarcasm font on!) at LHR.

Had airfare not been stupid expensive, and had I not splurged on a more expensive cruise and opted to spend money getting to/from EWR and PHL, none of this would matter.  BUT between miles, hotel points and buying extra miles, I'm getting ~$5,000 ish of J airfare for maybe 700 bucks out of pocket.  Considering r/t economy was 1200 bucks, I think I'll suffer with a double connect via CLT and LHR.😁😁😁

And I only turn 40 again for the 20th time once. 

7 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Are any of these in-airport hotels airside?

We stayed at an airport hotel in Singapore, airside, a few years ago, between two long flights.  There wasn't enough time to do sightseeing and also deal with customs, immigrations, and then security coming back, etc. (Or, we didn't want a rush-rush experience like that, especially at night.)

So we had several hours of *good* sleep, in a real bed, with private bathroom and shower, etc.  My memory is that it wasn't all that expensive (well, given the cost of the trip, anyway).  And it helped us to arrive for our cruise departure without being exhausted from jet lag and general lack of sleep.  it was well worth it.  Alas, not all airports have hotels airside, and that was what mede it work so well.

It was relatively spartan, but we weren't in need of a Four Seasons!

We just wanted a clean, quiet room with a nice soft bed, and a private bathroom was an extra touch.

We woke up feeling remarkably refreshed.  Nice!

GC

When we attempted to check in to the BA lounges last year after coming off a cruise in  September we were denied access due to overcrowding.   Hopefully you are not traveling during the school holidays.

8 hours ago, kiwimum said:

When we attempted to check in to the BA lounges last year after coming off a cruise in  September we were denied access due to overcrowding.   Hopefully you are not traveling during the school holidays.

Mid November so I hope not?  It's before American Thanksgiving.  Also I'll be getting there around 8AM local (give or take, I don't recall the exact time, and also, I need more coffee!)

20 hours ago, fbgd said:

LHR-FCO could go from any of the T5 buildings but either way you've three business class lounges (Galleries Club in BA parlance to choose from). The one in T5B is considered the quietest and nicest because most people stick around in the ones in T5A, the main building, but you can always come back to the main building, just not many people know that, or know how, want to or care about it ... Due to my status it's been 10+yrs since I've been to the Galleries Club lounges but the North lounge has good views of the northern runway but is a little smaller than the South one which is generally considered the busiest. 

I agree with everyone that with the timings in question, a visit to the Arrivals Lounge followed by a sojourn in a departures lounge is the best option, and that a hotel day room isn't worthwhile. Both the Arrivals Lounge and the departures lounges have showers. I've only used the AA Arrivals Lounge once, but ISTR that the showers there were rather nicer than the BA lounge showers, which attract a certain amount of adverse comment (although they are IMHO perfectly serviceable).

The Arrivals Lounge is landside, so you will have cleared immigration (but your bags ought to be through-checked and through-tagged so you don't need to deal with them at LHR). To transfer from T3 to T5 by Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line (which basically use the same platforms), I think you need to collect a free inter-terminal transfer ticket before you board.

AIUI, the T5A (main building) Galleries Club North lounge is even busier than before. Historically, it always tended to have a higher proportion of domestic passengers, because the gates that can be used for domestic flights are at that end of the building. BA has now moved the Club check-in counters from the south end of the building to the north end, so more Club passengers clear North security, and the entrance to the North lounge is pretty much in your face as you exit from security. So that's attracted more passengers in there, particularly as the route to the South lounges involves descending one level and walking about 300 yards to the other end of the building.

With a very long connection, I would also go to the T5B lounge because it's quieter and more pleasant. To get there, you should follow the signs to the B gates, which will take you down to the transit, and the B gates are one stop later. I would recommend taking the lifts (elevators) both down and up, even though you'll probably see most passengers heading straight for the escalators (particularly going up).

There are, however, two disadvantages to using the T5B lounge.

First, because your next flight is a shorthaul flight, there is a high likelihood that it will use one of the A gates. This means that you will have to return to the main building. You cannot (sensibly) do this using the transit; you will cause yourself a lot of hassle if you do so. You will need to walk about 400 yards back to T5A using the underground walkway that's below the transit. However, there are two separate platforms on opposite sides of the transit tracks and IIRC you can only get to the walkway from one of the transit platforms, so you will need to find out how to get to it.

Second, there is also a real possibility that your next flight will use a C gate. This involves you travelling about 400 yards from the B gates to the C gates. You can use the transit to do this, but because of its layout, there are two separate platforms on opposite sides of the tracks and from either side you will only be able to board every other transit. Of course, you can again walk through the underground walkway to the C gates.

In addition, there are almost no shops at the B gates. Opinions may differ as to whether this is an advantage or a disadvantage.

9 hours ago, kiwimum said:

When we attempted to check in to the BA lounges last year after coming off a cruise in September we were denied access due to overcrowding.   Hopefully you are not traveling during the school holidays.

This sounds odd. Was it at T5 or T3, and which airline were you flying?

I think that when this occurs, it's usually because the passenger is trying to enter by virtue of oneworld status and the lounge isn't the passenger's airline's contracted/designated lounge. But this is rarely the case at T5. I've sometimes heard of queues to get in to T5 lounges if they've been busy, but not of people being actually turned away.

24 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I agree with everyone that with the timings in question, a visit to the Arrivals Lounge followed by a sojourn in a departures lounge is the best option, and that a hotel day room isn't worthwhile. Both the Arrivals Lounge and the departures lounges have showers. I've only used the AA Arrivals Lounge once, but ISTR that the showers there were rather nicer than the BA lounge showers, which attract a certain amount of adverse comment (although they are IMHO perfectly serviceable).

The Arrivals Lounge is landside, so you will have cleared immigration (but your bags ought to be through-checked and through-tagged so you don't need to deal with them at LHR). To transfer from T3 to T5 by Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line (which basically use the same platforms), I think you need to collect a free inter-terminal transfer ticket before you board.

AIUI, the T5A (main building) Galleries Club North lounge is even busier than before. Historically, it always tended to have a higher proportion of domestic passengers, because the gates that can be used for domestic flights are at that end of the building. BA has now moved the Club check-in counters from the south end of the building to the north end, so more Club passengers clear North security, and the entrance to the North lounge is pretty much in your face as you exit from security. So that's attracted more passengers in there, particularly as the route to the South lounges involves descending one level and walking about 300 yards to the other end of the building.

With a very long connection, I would also go to the T5B lounge because it's quieter and more pleasant. To get there, you should follow the signs to the B gates, which will take you down to the transit, and the B gates are one stop later. I would recommend taking the lifts (elevators) both down and up, even though you'll probably see most passengers heading straight for the escalators (particularly going up).

First, because your next flight is a shorthaul flight, there is a high likelihood that it will use one of the A gates. This means that you will have to return to the main building. You cannot (sensibly) do this using the transit; you will cause yourself a lot of hassle if you do so. You will need to walk about 400 yards back to T5A using the underground walkway that's below the transit. However, there are two separate platforms on opposite sides of the transit tracks and IIRC you can only get to the walkway from one of the transit platforms, so you will need to find out how to get to it.

Second, there is also a real possibility that your next flight will use a C gate. This involves you travelling about 400 yards from the B gates to the C gates. You can use the transit to do this, but because of its layout, there are two separate platforms on opposite sides of the tracks and from either side you will only be able to board every other transit. Of course, you can again walk through the underground walkway to the C gates.

In addition, there are almost no shops at the B gates. Opinions may differ as to whether this is an advantage or a disadvantage.

I think that when this occurs, it's usually because the passenger is trying to enter by virtue of oneworld status and the lounge isn't the passenger's airline's contracted/designated lounge. But this is rarely the case at T5. I've sometimes heard of queues to get in to T5 lounges if they've been busy, but not of people being actually turned away.

Thanks for that Megr1125-proof advice and direction. I think I can make it all make sense!  

Is it me, (it may be) or are the maps on the official Heathrow site/app really terrible?  Again, it might be me.  

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It was T5 on British Air.   Long lines waiting to get into the Lounge. 

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

It was T5 on British Air.   Long lines waiting to get into the Lounge. 

Yes, sometimes there are queues, AIUI most often at Galleries North. T5B is the least likely to have queues.

I am watching videos on YT about transiting through LHR.  Presuming I decide to use the AA Arrivals lounge in T3, I would proceed as if I was staying in London rather than following the Flight Connections route?  (So yellow/orange versus purple signs?)  Then I could use HEX or the Elizabeth line to get to T5 and it would be like I was starting over departing, but without checked luggage?

Globaliser mentioned this above, I just want to be sure I've gotten it into my brain! 🤔

7 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

I am watching videos on YT about transiting through LHR.  Presuming I decide to use the AA Arrivals lounge in T3, I would proceed as if I was staying in London rather than following the Flight Connections route?  (So yellow/orange versus purple signs?)  Then I could use HEX or the Elizabeth line to get to T5 and it would be like I was starting over departing, but without checked luggage?

Globaliser mentioned this above, I just want to be sure I've gotten it into my brain! 🤔

Yes, you have it right.

The AA Arrivals Lounge is landside after your clear immigration, baggage claim and customs. The purple Flight Connections route is for if you to plan to stay airside. It only requires you to reclear security and you'd take an airside bus to Terminal 5.

There's an entrance to the train system right by the public international arrivals area in T3 (you'll see a ramp going down, it's well signposted). The AA Arrivals Lounge is very close to here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fbgd said:

Yes, you have it right.

The AA Arrivals Lounge is landside after your clear immigration, baggage claim and customs. The purple Flight Connections route is for if you to plan to stay airside. It only requires you to reclear security and you'd take an airside bus to Terminal 5.

There's an entrance to the train system right by the public international arrivals area in T3 (you'll see a ramp going down, it's well signposted). The AA Arrivals Lounge is very close to here.

Cool thanks!  I read it, and it rolled around in my brain until I saw a video and then it stopped rolling and made sense.  Just wanted to be sure that I had it right. Thanks again.

41 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Presuming I decide to use the AA Arrivals lounge in T3, I would proceed as if I was staying in London rather than following the Flight Connections route?  (So yellow/orange versus purple signs?)

30 minutes ago, fbgd said:

The AA Arrivals Lounge is landside after your clear immigration, baggage claim and customs.

As you exit from customs, you will walk through a small "duty free" shop. You then exit into the public meet and greet area. IIRC, you need to turn right, and then find the correct lifts to take you upstairs to the Arrivals Lounge.

Another recent thread reminds me to say don't buy liquids in that shop. It's not actually duty free, and any liquids you buy there will be subject to normal security rules for liquids. You will have to clear security at T5 so the liquids rules will be applied to you at that point.

57 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

As you exit from customs, you will walk through a small "duty free" shop. You then exit into the public meet and greet area. IIRC, you need to turn right, and then find the correct lifts to take you upstairs to the Arrivals Lounge.

Another recent thread reminds me to say don't buy liquids in that shop. It's not actually duty free, and any liquids you buy there will be subject to normal security rules for liquids. You will have to clear security at T5 so the liquids rules will be applied to you at that point.

Thanks.  Good to keep in mind since I do like gin.