Back on Queen Anne again.

Colin_Cameron

The bar stools in the Commodore Club have finally arrived (a couple of weeks ago) so all is right with the world. 😁

The standard of dress is as high as it has been for years, with the exception of the Maiden Voyage which was very dressy. Looks like the passengers are fighting back against Cunard's intentions for this ship. The same could be said for the ballroom dancers. Only two nights so far but the too-small floor has been crowded both nights, and also at this afternoon's tea dance.

Our asst waiter from the Maiden Voyage in Britannia has had a well deserved (sort of) promotion and is now our asst waiter in  Britannia Club, and has the maitre d's job firmly in her sights. The service has been outstanding and again our BC experience (QE and now QA) has exceeded our QG experience (QV and QM2) as far as the restaurant service is concerned.

We had our diamond lunch in Sir Samuels today and although the food and service was excellent the experience was a little underwhelming, as was the wine list. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Looks like the passengers are fighting back against Cunard's intentions for this ship.

What might those be?

Pleased to hear the food and service in Sir Samuels was excellent, very much looking forward to trying it ourselves.

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There are a few recent reviews from people,who seem to have been on a different ship.

All seemingly of a certain age and over. And who comment they had expected it to be the same as QE and QV.

6 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

All seemingly of a certain age and over. And who comment they had expected it to be the same as QE and QV.

I am not sure it is a matter of age, they are probably all younger than I, and I liked it a lot. But they seem to find one thing and become rather fixated on it. You can’t serve yourself in the buffet, or some of the sunbathers are sweaty, the ship is cold, (strange these are from the same reviewer), there is no cake.

I’m not sure any of these things are true, but I can’t see they are a big deal anyway.

• Like 1

I don't know about 'of a certain age' as we're no spring chickens  and we had a great time but then, we didn't expect a QV/QE experience and went with the flow.

Could have done without the Lift Paralympics but that's a personal issue and no reflection on the ship as a whole.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't know about 'of a certain age' as we're no spring chickens  and we had a great time but then, we didn't expect a QV/QE experience and went with the flow.

Could have done without the Lift Paralympics but that's a personal issue and no reflection on the ship as a whole.

It was your hurdling that let you down. 😀

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I am not sure it is a matter of age, they are probably all younger than I, and I liked it a lot. But they seem to find one thing and become rather fixated on it. You can’t serve yourself in the buffet, or some of the sunbathers are sweaty, the ship is cold, (strange these are from the same reviewer), there is no cake.

I’m not sure any of these things are true, but I can’t see they are a big deal anyway.

I was merely commenting on the stated ages given in the most recent reviews listed for the ship on the site. Not on anyone's actual age, just the fact that was the bracket that appeared more frequently. Apologies if my comment didn't across as intended.

No, none of those reviews mention anything that is making me apprehensive for our upcoming Norwegian cruise, a lot seemed subjective and "tetchy" at best. I have enjoyed reading many accounts of Queen Anne from yourself, @Victoria2 and @MylesS and can't wait to experience her. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

I was merely commenting on the stated ages given in the most recent reviews listed for the ship on the site. Not on anyone's actual age, just the fact that was the bracket that appeared more frequently. Apologies if my comment didn't across as intended.

No, none of those reviews mention anything that is making me apprehensive for our upcoming Norwegian cruise, a lot seemed subjective and "tetchy" at best. I have enjoyed reading many accounts of Queen Anne from yourself, @Victoria2 and @MylesS and can't wait to experience her. 

Tetchy is an excellent word.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

No apologies needed. Just making sure us less than spring chicks got our oars in! 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The bar stools in the Commodore Club have finally arrived (a couple of weeks ago) so all is right with the world. 😁

The standard of dress is as high as it has been for years, with the exception of the Maiden Voyage which was very dressy. Looks like the passengers are fighting back against Cunard's intentions for this ship. The same could be said for the ballroom dancers. Only two nights so far but the too-small floor has been crowded both nights, and also at this afternoon's tea dance.

Our asst waiter from the Maiden Voyage in Britannia has had a well deserved (sort of) promotion and is now our asst waiter in  Britannia Club, and has the maitre d's job firmly in her sights. The service has been outstanding and again our BC experience (QE and now QA) has exceeded our QG experience (QV and QM2) as far as the restaurant service is concerned.

We had our diamond lunch in Sir Samuels today and although the food and service was excellent the experience was a little underwhelming, as was the wine list. 

Good to hear this.  Maybe I won't cancel or transfer the cruises we have booked on Queen Anne for the next year.  If things are looking up, we might go on the next one rather than cancelling it. With all the hassle, arguments, reports of poor dining service, and other issues on the new ship, I was about to make a long phone call to Cunard. A cruise is not a trivial investment for a holiday, so it has to be enjoyable or it isn't worth throwing the money away,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShipboardSteve said:

Good to hear this.  Maybe I won't cancel or transfer the cruises we have booked on Queen Anne for the next year.  If things are looking up, we might go on the next one rather than cancelling it. With all the hassle, arguments, reports of poor dining service, and other issues on the new ship, I was about to make a long phone call to Cunard. A cruise is not a trivial investment for a holiday, so it has to be enjoyable or it isn't worth throwing the money away,

Enjoyment is essential. Why did you think it wouldn’t be enjoyable?

I wouldn't rush back to go on Queen Anne its too crowded for a relaxing summer holiday. Blackpool on sea vibe out on the pools deck and not enough outdoor spaces, Unless you pay the price of entry to the Grills where there is enough outdoor deck space.. but you are stuck next to the stack which is noisy potentially dirty and an uncomfortable distraction. The Princess grill cabins are far too small and the nosiest ones on a (compared to QM2 QV + QE) Cunard ship, the walls are too thin and a lack of sound deadening material is obvious. Not even the nice wicker chairs on the balcony so depressing, having paid all that money...The good points are 1. The entertainment is fantastic in the evening, genuinely good short plays, music shows and bright lights society. 2.There is a running/walking deck  minimum width but its Ok as good as QV +QE  no room for chairs which is why the rest of the decks are so crowded. So for me I will take the QM2 flagship in every way apart from the entertainment which can be improved easily if Cunard want to copy Bright lights its easily done in G32. The Service on QA is fine but the cost cutting is obvious in at least Princess Grill rooms + guest numbers compared to Gross tonnage. Disappointing but that's the commercial way and I'm glad at least I've got an alternative to go back to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I can tell you that this complaint is not true. Trust me, cake is an essential for me. I had opera cake several times. (They only offered it once, but isn't that what the room fridge is for?) And they had lemon-white chocolate opera cake, about which I had some doubts, but it was very good. 

I don't mind that they serve you at the buffet. It's definitely more hygienic, but the salad bar was seriously lacking in ingredients compared to the self-served salad bar on QE and QV. HAL manages to do a served salad station with a nice variety of ingredients. 

5 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

I wouldn't rush back to go on Queen Anne its too crowded for a relaxing summer holiday. Blackpool on sea vibe out on the pools deck and not enough outdoor spaces, Unless you pay the price of entry to the Grills where there is enough outdoor deck space.. but you are stuck next to the stack which is noisy potentially dirty and an uncomfortable distraction. The Princess grill cabins are far too small and the nosiest ones on a (compared to QM2 QV + QE) Cunard ship, the walls are too thin and a lack of sound deadening material is obvious. Not even the nice wicker chairs on the balcony so depressing, having paid all that money...The good points are 1. The entertainment is fantastic in the evening, genuinely good short plays, music shows and bright lights society. 2.There is a running/walking deck  minimum width but its Ok as good as QV +QE  no room for chairs which is why the rest of the decks are so crowded. So for me I will take the QM2 flagship in every way apart from the entertainment which can be improved easily if Cunard want to copy Bright lights its easily done in G32. The Service on QA is fine but the cost cutting is obvious in at least Princess Grill rooms + guest numbers compared to Gross tonnage. Disappointing but that's the commercial way and I'm glad at least I've got an alternative to go back to.

I didn't like the idea of being next to the noise of the stacks, but I got used to it and ignored it. I found the PG cabin disappointing after having been in PG on QE. 

Your suggestion of doing "Bright Lights" programs in G32 is brilliant! I like Bright Lights and have wondered where they could do those shows on other ships.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

I can't comment on wall soundproofing as we had no problem but as far as the 'stack' is concerned, we were out on deck 11 in all weathers [I'll bring a hot water bottle on any more Northern trips] and experienced NO issues from the funnel at all. That's four weeks worth of deck 11 so far.

29 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Its an obvious noise issue, for me at least there is no getting around it.

The funnel noise didn’t seem as bad to me as on the Grills decks of the Vistas. And as for dirt, I’m afraid, understandably in view of her age, QM2 wins that hands down.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No cake!  Well, that tears it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

living in Blackpool as I do, I certainly didn't find it like Blackpool on sea! Nor did we find her overcrowded and we felt there was more outside space than other ships we've been on. Our inside non-Grills cabin wasn't noisy. I miised having a Promenade deck you can sit on. 

Agree re the entertainment, very good. The first time we were on QM2 TA we had afternoon plays - it wasn't a RADA type cruise just a normal TA back in 2009.

• Like 3

I ask that one of our British posters please describe the phrase “Blackpool at sea vibe”. Yes, I know I can Google Blackpool but hearing from the CC group may give better light with the comparison to the scene QA decks. Is this a derogatory term I should not use in the UK?

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

I ask that one of our British posters please describe the phrase “Blackpool at sea vibe”. Yes, I know I can Google Blackpool but hearing from the CC group may give better light with the comparison to the scene QA decks. Is this a derogatory term I should not use in the UK?

Not sure myself what it means other than Blackpool is most definitely not known for its sophistication. 

33 minutes ago, NE John said:

Blackpool was once a grand old lady now sadly run down like a lot of UK seaside resorts.  It is now known for hosting stag (bachelor) and hen (bachelorette) parties.  As a result the description used in the manner it was is intended to suggest somewhere full of people seeking cheap entertainment, drink and baldy.  Unfortunately there is a tendency by some to refer to UK seaside resorts, holiday camps and some pub chains as comparisons when wishing to denigrate an offering. Basically taking the Michael (mickey) and suggesting that Blackpool/the holiday camp/pub chain etc are low class and full of cheap entertainment.

I always recall people referring to Mickey Mouse watches as a form of denigration suggesting poor quality, the irony being that Mickey Mouse was the foundation for one of the world's most successful organisations.

There's nothing wrong with Blackpool save it has sadly been run down over the years and is trying to regain some of its old grandeur.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NE John said:

Think it’s meant as derogatory and certainly not funny.  However having just got off Queen Anne it’s not what I would describe the experience. Had a great time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2