Marina Aft Elevators Broken (Perhaps For A While)

Clutj

Cruise director’s first announcement today in Reykjavik was that the aft elevators have a broken motor and are shut down.  He had a very long explanation about the motor needs to be custom ordered, then they need a port with a big crane to get it onboard because it will weigh 3000 pounds or something… No timing mentioned but it sounded to me like he was saying it will be months… not days and weeks seemed unlikely.  Pure speculation on my part but I didn’t hear anything optimistic in his report.

I can also report that our PH3, despite descriptions on the Marina section of the website of “all Penthouse Suites” now having oversized showers, that is false — ours still has a plastic small shower and a bathtub. I guess you should check with your TA about what you might have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I recall in one of the several threads on the Marina redo….there was information that about 10 of the PH3s would retain both the shower and tub as was done when they redid the Riviera due to some preferring that particular layout with the inclusion of a tub. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Clutj said:

I can also report that our PH3, despite descriptions on the Marina section of the website of “all Penthouse Suites” now having oversized showers, that is false — ours still has a plastic small shower and a bathtub. I guess you should check with your TA about what you might have. 

As I posted previously, Marina and Riviera Penthouse Suites with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

Edited by Fam_Cruise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Fam_Cruise said:

As I posted previously, Marina and Riviera Penthouse Suites with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

Not that Oceania courts the child crowd but little kids really 'need' tubs. Or so our daughters told us at the time.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, clo said:

Not that Oceania courts the child crowd but little kids really 'need' tubs. Or so our daughters told us at the time.

Not that I’m totally against the kids on the ship but I hope that wasn’t the main reason why Oceania decided to leave bathtubs in some of the Penthouse Suites.

Edited by osandomir
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, osandomir said:

Not that I’m totally against the kids on the ship but I hope that wasn’t the main reason why Oceania decided to leave bathtubs in some of the Penthouse Suites.

I believe it’s much more elementary. Some cruisers enjoy a nice leisurely dinner talking with fellow cruisers. Some cruisers prefer to sit alone and shove it down as quickly as possible and leave. Oceania offers venues for both. Some cruisers only want fairly quick showers and others enjoy nice long soaks in a tub. Oceania offers cabins for both. People having choices is a good thing. Cruising isn’t a government operation, one size truly doesn’t fit all. Choose your cabin carefully from the deck plan.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Clutj said:

Cruise director’s first announcement today in Reykjavik was that the aft elevators have a broken motor and are shut down.  He had a very long explanation about the motor needs to be custom ordered, then they need a port with a big crane to get it onboard because it will weigh 3000 pounds or something… No timing mentioned but it sounded to me like he was saying it will be months… not days and weeks seemed unlikely.  Pure speculation on my part but I didn’t hear anything optimistic in his report.

Your's is not the first Marina cruise with this significant inconvenience, resulting in extreme waits for an aft elevator at various times of the day. We had the same issue 7/26/24 to 8/5/24, Copenhagen to Tromso. 

1 hour ago, ohmark said:

Your's is not the first Marina cruise with this significant inconvenience, resulting in extreme waits for an aft elevator at various times of the day. We had the same issue 7/26/24 to 8/5/24, Copenhagen to Tromso. 

We are due to sail October 2nd and although we are mid-ships I can’t use the stairs. Hope  we have considerate fellow passengers!

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

We are due to sail October 2nd and although we are mid-ships I can’t use the stairs. Hope  we have considerate fellow passengers!

Being mid-ship, you will avoid most aft elevator problems by using the forward elevators to access the restaurants on 5, 6, 12, and 14, keeping in mind you will have a brief outdoor jaunt on 12 and 14.

• Like 1

We were on Marina June 24 - July 16 and one of the aft elevators was out of commission the entire time causing terribly long waits and inconvenience for the passengers. So that’s about eight weeks already. 

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe it’s much more elementary. Some cruisers enjoy a nice leisurely dinner talking with fellow cruisers. Some cruisers prefer to sit alone and shove it down as quickly as possible and leave. Oceania offers venues for both. Some cruisers only want fairly quick showers and others enjoy nice long soaks in a tub. Oceania offers cabins for both. People having choices is a good thing. Cruising isn’t a government operation, one size truly doesn’t fit all. Choose your cabin carefully from the deck plan.

That just reminded me that my late mother-in-law who traveled extensively, including cruises. was a tub person. There was a family wedding in San Francisco on the calendar and I physically checked a room to make sure. (She was also more than a little PITA so better to be safe than sorry.)

11 hours ago, ohmark said:

We dealt with it for 25 nights..Copenhagen to Reykjavik!

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Was the transit through Prince Christian Sound put back onto that itinerary ?

Yes, but not announced in advance. We received a note a couple of days into the cruise announcing that we would be doing it. We had great weather that day and enjoyed it very much, although nothing as remarkable as glaciers on an Alaskan cruise IME.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadyCruisers said:

We were on Marina June 24 - July 16 and one of the aft elevators was out of commission the entire time causing terribly long waits and inconvenience for the passengers. So that’s about eight weeks already. 

This brings back remembrance of those cruising during the Pandemic. Due to distancing restrictions, elevator occupancy was greatly reduced. On some of the larger ships passengers would start lining Up for elevators an hour before dinner and waiting. 

Perhaps PPPPPP applies if elevators are a necessity.

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

This brings back remembrance of those cruising during the Pandemic. Due to distancing restrictions, elevator occupancy was greatly reduced. On some of the larger ships passengers would start lining Up for elevators an hour before dinner and waiting. 

Waiting fo an hour?? Aren’t there stairs?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We were on the Marina right after cruising started again in 2021. One of the requirements (besides having to wear a mask everywhere on the ship, including getting up from the table to get more food at the Terrace) was that there were four circles on the floor in every elevator (beam me up Scotty!). That restricted every elevator to only four passengers, theoretically. After a few days, you would find some people, I would say mostly Americans, would invite more than four into the elevator. There were some people from some European countries who would be very adamant about no extra passengers. It caused some friction. However, other than after the nightly show in the theater, I never saw big lines for the elevators because the ships were half full.

On our Vista cruise a couple of weeks ago, at least one of the aft elevators was out of service every single day of the cruise. They appeared to be doing major work on them. It did cause delays for the elevators, especially when people were trying to get off for tours.

10 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We were on the Marina right after cruising started again in 2021. One of the requirements (besides having to wear a mask everywhere on the ship, including getting up from the table to get more food at the Terrace) was that there were four circles on the floor in every elevator (beam me up Scotty!)....

Even then in late 2021 it was different cruise to cruise. We were on Riviera in the W. Caribbean, 12/13-23/21. O paid for the COVID testing done in the tent outside terminal J. So, everyone had to test negative. We had NO masks and elevators full of people. When we got back the world turned upside down due to a new strain of COVID peaking. Thankfully, I don't remember anyone testing positive on board. The next cruise after ours had significant restrictions on board that we didn't. All 719 of us treated like royalty by 780 crew. A magical cruise indeed.

1 hour ago, lorimay said:

you would find some people, I would say mostly Americans, would invite more than four into the elevator.

That's so AMERICAN, isn't it? Asked by an American.

1 hour ago, clo said:

That's so AMERICAN, isn't it? Asked by an American.

Yes it is. Almost every time someone would say "Come on in. We won't tell". No value judgment on either group. It was interesting to watch and there were some tense situations.