Different Mexican Riviera itineraries

igraf

Posted (edited)

Although the marina area and beaches have become very built up, I still go ashore in Cabo to make a lap or two around the mercado by the docks (it's been there for decades)  and to have lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking the marina boardwalk. The food is good, the wine is good, and It's great people watching, not to mention yacht watching. And you can have your table as long as you like.

Jacques Cousteau called the Sea of Cortez "the World's Aquarium". The scenery is stark and beautiful, and a contrast to the more tropical PV.  I'm glad HAL is offering that itinerary again.     

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

My problem with Cabo is that vendors constantly harass you to take a tour, to jump on their boat or visit their restaurant.

The best sales pitch I ever heard from one of those vendors:

"Hey, how about a boat ride to Lover's Beach ?  Lover included."    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Port cities aside, I have a general concern.  There now just two 2024/2025 cold season 7-day cruises to Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta from HAL, and these two cruises are the holiday cruises.  I prefer to avoid holiday cruises and so I am basically shut out of what was a common 7-day Mexican cruise itinerary this season.

HAL went so far as to redirect the Koningsdam (the ship used for the San Diego to Mexican cruises) in November for two cruises from San Diego to San Francisco.  Not sure why I would want to go up north at that time as cold weather and rain are likely.  October would have been a much better choice for a 7-day California coastal cruise.

The Nov 9 cruise is too early in the season for Mexico and will have the Tony Evans Christian Group.  The only other selection for Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta on a 7-day cruise is a late season March 22 cruise.  

I agree with everyone about giving up Cabo for Loreto, but that will never happen.

igraf

HAL has been mixing up the routes extensively for the last couple years. Hawaii cruises, different Mexican Rivera routes and lengths, and a couple other options. Sorry they don't seem to agree with your desires, but variety is usually a good thing, not a problem.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL has been mixing up the routes extensively for the last couple years. Hawaii cruises, different Mexican Rivera routes and lengths, and a couple other options. Sorry they don't seem to agree with your desires, but variety is usually a good thing, not a problem.

I like the variety.  Of course, what would be ideal is for HAL to schedule a cruise I want to the places I want for the exact length of time I want, but curiously, they never call me to ask my opinion. 🙂  We like holiday cruises (being old and retired and very tired of cooking family feasts.)  Those San Francisco stops are great for meeting up with Bay Area friends for a seafood lunch on the pier.  Since I never (now) get off the ship in Cabo, I like that stop for enjoying a near-empty ship for a day.  Gosh, all in all, it looks like I must be happy with HAL.  It's too bad not everyone can be just as thrilled. 🙂

• Like 2

Loreto is my favorite port in Mexico. It is small, easily walkable even for an old woman, very safe, very picturesque and the fiesta on the beach is excellent.

• Like 5

We did a similar itinerary last year & truly enjoyed the alternate stops.  I would take La Paz or Loreto over Cabo any day.  We enjoyed it so much, we have a similar itinerary booked with Carnival for Dec on the Panorama.

• Like 1

I have been up and down the Mexican Riviera to the main ports (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta) several times and have been waiting for the chance to visit Loreto and La Paz.  The December 10, 2024 Konningsdam itinerary is also including a new to me Manzanillo.  Booked it!

~Nancy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have been up and down the Mexican Riviera to the main ports (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta) several times and have been waiting for the chance to visit Loreto and La Paz.  The December 10, 2024 Konningsdam itinerary is also including a new to me Manzanillo.  Booked it!

~Nancy

The longer Dec 10 cruise definitely hits all the ports!  

I might have some insight into the Mexico Riviera cruise situation.  NCL, RC, Princess and Carnival are all hitting the standard Cabo, Mazatlán, PV cruise from Los Angeles with their larger 4,000 passenger ships.   HAL is scrambling to compete with the smaller Koningsdam and so they are offering the alternative destinations or the longer cruise.  It is only with the "guaranteed to sell out" holiday cruises and large group charters that HAL will sail against the larger ships to the same destinations.

No need to respond about preferring the smaller HAL ships.  I do to.  My comments are reflecting the "big picture" cruising market.

igraf

• Like 3

4 hours ago, igraf said:

I might have some insight into the Mexico Riviera cruise situation.  NCL, RC, Princess and Carnival are all hitting the standard Cabo, Mazatlán, PV cruise from Los Angeles with their larger 4,000 passenger ships. 

Nightmare.

• Like 1

HAL used to stop sometimes in Topolongo and you could do a tour on the Copper Canyon by train. I booked this twice and each cruise got canceled. I'd love to do that cruise, but they don't offer it any more. 

• Like 3