Red & Gold Gala attire ideas - Men

vieux_carre

I realize that there’s no obligation at all to dress to the theme on Gala nights, but I’ve got a “Red & Gold” theme on an upcoming sailing (having only previously done “Black & White” & “Roaring ‘20’s” previously).  I’m most comfortable dressing at least to the minimum stated standard & typically quite conservative.  Thoughts on what to wear on the Red & Gold night should I choose to make a nod to the theme?  Any ideas beyond a red or gold bow tie & pocket square and red lapel flower with my tux/dinner jacket?

1 hour ago, shellbeachjim said:

I don't pack a tux, but wore a black suit, red shirt, and gold tie (long, not bow).

I'm with you.  I'm planning on a black suit, white shirt and a red and gold tie.  Black & white night will be the same except it will probably just be a black tie.

There were a couple posted a photo on a recent thread, one in a gold tux and the other in red. They did look very smart.

However both were a bit flamboyant for me to be comfortable wearing.

Quite a big investment as well for a garment with limited use.

These have a small amount of red and a tiny bit of gold in them.

I don't normally stick them through tux lapels, but I doubt if it would ruin them.

2022-06-09PerUnaColezione_PT_0012Poppy.thumb.JPG.e515faddfdf1f5f1f2c19930eafbe007.JPG

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Aw, come on, have a little fun with it! 

Or as so many seem to bang on about tradition, stick to black tie attire. It's easy and needs no thinking  [angst] about. 🙂

4 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The comparison to James Bond is often made.

Anyone ever seen 007 in funny coloured ties or shirts, or even a hat (indoors)? Not forgetting the occasional mask.

Probably not.

Our son does look rather good with his bow tie, untied and hanging around his neck. James Bond after midnight!

But then he goes for the wing collar which then isn't terribly J.B.!

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The comparison to James Bond is often made.

Anyone ever seen 007 in funny coloured ties or shirts, or even a hat (indoors)? Not forgetting the occasional mask.

Probably not.

Perhaps best not to go there.

Google reveals a few howlers. Admittedly not at Gala events. 😀

I think we know what you mean though.

• Like 1

Last time I had gold cuff links, a red tie with gold stripes in a normal black suit. Quite muted really but a gentle nod.

There were some who went all out with some lovely full-on looks, although I often find with themed nights it can easily resemble naff cosplay. But it’s fun.

• Like 3

I find the Twenties theme is most likely to tempt people towards naff cosplay. But seeing as Cunard's photograph for the Twenties night looks like naff cosplay, I think that might be the way things are going.

I'll stick with my subtle nods towards the theme and continue to feel slightly and pleasantly superior to all these other people having fun in their own way.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 8:21 AM, Clewgarnet said:

I find the Twenties theme is most likely to tempt people towards naff cosplay. But seeing as Cunard's photograph for the Twenties night looks like naff cosplay, I think that might be the way things are going.

I'll stick with my subtle nods towards the theme and continue to feel slightly and pleasantly superior to all these other people having fun in their own 

🙄 and just when I thought I might overcome my Cunard preduice - I have a number of genuine 1920s  dresses and they are costumes by todays standards,  also I have long hair which I carefully braid and twist but won't cut to fit in,  I don't want others to look at me and feel pleasantly superior I attend costume and cosplay events (may or may not be naff) but I don't want to go anywhere I am judged so harshly.

Edited by Catchum

On 8/28/2024 at 9:21 AM, Clewgarnet said:

But seeing as Cunard's photograph for the Twenties night looks like naff cosplay

Which photo is that?

There are so many.

• Haha 1