New Medallion for each cruise?

peety3

What's the norm with Princess and their medallions? We have a two-day repositioning cruise coming soon and a seven-day Alaska cruise next summer. Our calendar is getting really busy so I'm tempted to tell my wife "tough luck, I ordered each of us a basic medallion with a basic lanyard for this cruise", but do these become permanent souvenirs as soon as the cruise is over, or do we reuse them on future cruises? I figure I'll be in a lot less trouble if we get new ones each time. 😉

"Permanent souvenirs" in our experience.  The battery doesn't last very long and is not replaceable.  In B2B situations the medallion is supposed to carry over to the second cruise, but we have had the battery die before the end of the second cruise.  One goes to guest services to get another one. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, peety3 said:

What's the norm with Princess and their medallions? We have a two-day repositioning cruise coming soon and a seven-day Alaska cruise next summer. Our calendar is getting really busy so I'm tempted to tell my wife "tough luck, I ordered each of us a basic medallion with a basic lanyard for this cruise", but do these become permanent souvenirs as soon as the cruise is over, or do we reuse them on future cruises? I figure I'll be in a lot less trouble if we get new ones each time. 😉

After the cruise ours go into recycling 

• Like 1

Not reusable because the ship and embarkation date are engraved on the Medallion.  Exception is B#B cruises, where you are expected to use the same Medallion for all segments; if the Medallion battery dies, and you are given a new one, the embarkation date of the first segment is still the date printed on the replacement Medallion.  Once you are done with all segments, the Medallion is theoretically garbage.  

Personally, don't like a lot of clutter so I toss mine at the end of each cruise.

Princess can give their spiel about how much they care for the environment but the Medallions aren't recyclable because of the battery.  Trying to dissect one to remove the battery can be quite dangerous as both halves are fused together and it can't be easily taken apart.  You're likely to cut yourself using something to pry the halves apart.

Posted (edited)

We did 63 days in a row on Grand Princess last year. During the cruise(s) both of our Medallions died and we had to have them replaced. We ended up with ONE medallion at the end. They definitely don't give you multiple medallions.

Note: We stick our old medallions on the refrigerator door. (Ohhhh.. How origina!! NOT!!!) However, we seem to be missing some. I "blame" our yougest grandchild who is here quite often. She's almost 6. She plays with the magnets on the refrigerator door. (This is as compared to our oldest grandchild recently  turned 28. (OMG!!! This can't be happening! Sigh, our oldest child turns 50 in early November. How? How?? HOW???!!!)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Not reusable because the ship and embarkation date are engraved on the Medallion.  Exception is B#B cruises, where you are expected to use the same Medallion for all segments; if the Medallion battery dies, and you are given a new one, the embarkation date of the first segment is still the date printed on the replacement Medallion.  Once you are done with all segments, the Medallion is theoretically garbage.  

Personally, don't like a lot of clutter so I toss mine at the end of each cruise.

Princess can give their spiel about how much they care for the environment but the Medallions aren't recyclable because of the battery.  Trying to dissect one to remove the battery can be quite dangerous as both halves are fused together and it can't be easily taken apart.  You're likely to cut yourself using something to pry the halves apart.

They have to go into electronic recycling just like smoke alarms, monitors , computers etc.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

They have to go into electronic recycling just like smoke alarms, monitors , computers etc.

Right, but are they actually being taken apart and recycled?  The Medallion is fused together unlike other electronics which are easy to breakdown into individual components.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Right, but are they actually being taken apart and recycled?  The Medallion is fused together unlike other electronics which are easy to breakdown into individual components.

They are sealed much like smoke alarms nowadays. We recycle pretty much everything here in Oregon. The GoodWill  even electronics for recycling

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, memoak said:

Local electronic recycles refused them.  Little in the way of electronics and no safe way to take apart.

The two halves are heat fused together.  I got them "apart" with a large hammer and a vice.  Interesting, but hazardous as the case splintered into very sharp pieces.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

We did 63 days in a row on Grand Princess last year. During the cruise(s) both of our Medallions died and we had to have them replaced. We ended up with ONE medallion at the end. They definitely don't give you multiple medallions.

Note: We stick our old medallions on the refrigerator door. (Ohhhh.. How origina!! NOT!!!) However, we seem to be missing some. I "blame" our yougest grandchild who is here quite often. She's almost 6. She plays with the magnets on the refrigerator door. (This is as compared to our oldest grandchild recently  turned 28. (OMG!!! This can't be happening! Sigh, our oldest child turns 50 in early November. How? How?? HOW???!!!)

We are on the Grand but only 16 days do you think these will stop working on us a day or two before we get back? We had no issue with the last 14 day cruise.

Thanks as always for your input.

52 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We are on the Grand but only 16 days do you think these will stop working on us a day or two before we get back? We had no issue with the last 14 day cruise.

It is hit and miss no way to actually tell until they go out or the door lock stops recognizing it

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Ours usually last about 30 days. We’re on longer cruises. It is NP, only takes a few mins at GS to get you a new one.

We also keep our old medallions on the fridge. It is fun to look over the past cruises and remember the good times.

Can anyone tell what is special about this one?

Medallion.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Renophi said:

We also keep our old medallions on the fridge. It is fun to look over the past cruises and remember the good times.

Medallion.jpeg

The medallion was shipped out by mail, but the cruise never took place.  The cease order was announced a few days before 3/16.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

The medallion was shipped out by mail, but the cruise never took place.  The cease order was announced a few days before 3/16.

Nailed it! We still miss going on that one, but enjoy them even more now I think.

Tic Tac Toe? Only 4 white so far but getting another next month, lost a few black. (Solo)20240828_133628.thumb.jpg.9768cd3fcbdfc80a15686b65d7c7235b.jpg

maybe I'll put a white circle over a few black ones to even the game out

• Haha 2

On our 2024 World Cruise we had to have our medallions replaced 4 times. I had trouble locating my husband and say he was in the cabin when he wasn't.  Easy and quick fix to get a new battery. 

2 hours ago, Renophi said:

Medallion.jpeg

We left just before on Coral from Santiago (San Antonio, Chile) Mar 05, 2020.  We did get the pause notice after going around Cape Horn and the Falklands.  Well, we did 18 days (kind of) out of 32.

Definitely remember…😮

15 minutes ago, Clek said:

On our 2024 World Cruise we had to have our medallions replaced 4 times. I had trouble locating my husband and say he was in the cabin when he wasn't.  Easy and quick fix to get a new battery. 

Replacing about every 30 days?

2 hours ago, Renophi said:

Are they magnetic or do you add one? 

This might actually work for me - a magnet is my go-to souvenir and I have a board hanging on the wall specifically for travel magnets that is now out of space.  I'd like to get a bigger board, or find a logical way to break them up into smaller boards.