Free tours not posted in several ports

oskidunker

On 2025 Australia Circumnavigation. The tours just became  available today. Maybe they will appear soon. Just hoping. 

reviews of Kamoto Island are mostly negative i may stay onnthe ship. Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

If you are talking about Komodo Island, I can see why people would be negative.  It's not any kind of elegant touring....you basically walk through the national park, see some wildlife, plants and Komodo Dragons.  You are in a group with a park ranger, then there is an area where they sell stuff to the tourists.  But it is a chance to see the Dragons in the wild.  And you must be in a group with the ranger.

There are folks that want nature, there are folks that want urban comforts.  The former will enjoy Komodo.  The latter will want a Disney/zoo experience and be unhappy.

FWIW, I've enjoyed both of my visits to the island.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, oskidunker said:

You don't mention what the negative issues were, so it's hard to offer targeted thoughts. Here are a few negatives I've read in the past:

You can only go ashore as part of a sanctioned excursion.

Tender required.

The heat is debilitating.

You will have to run the gauntlet of t-shirt hawkers at the end of your tour (unless you sidestep them).

All are true - none of them matter at all. The tour is short. The opportunity to see these prehistoric critters up close and learn about them from the wardens is a lifetime experience. And there's always the chance that you too will get to see an idiot pax try to attempt a selfie with a dragon and nearly become lunch.

Staying on board would be unthinkable to me. 🍺🥌

• Like 9

I have been on this tour and it is utterly uncomfortable……and equally fascinating.  The heat is absolutely miserable, but seeing the Komodo dragons is very worth it.  The rangers who do the tour are very knowledgable and answer questions patiently.  It’s a fairly short tour, but TBH it is so freaking hot that I doubt many passengers could handle a longer tour.

We are also on this cruise in Jan, and will look forward to doing it again.…..even though you’ll look like you spent a few hours in a sauna and need a shower afterwards.  

• Like 2

A very simple thought problem for all.

The heat and humidity of Indonesia is not a hidden secret -- yet complaints about the weather seem to always follow any cruise there.  Do people just skip on checking what the climate is for their vacation destinations?

And it's not just Komodo/Indonesia.  I've read the complaints about visiting Devil's Island.  And people know it was a terrible prison location, yet they still complain.

Just wondering why...why....why....?

• Like 8

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

A very simple thought problem for all.

The heat and humidity of Indonesia is not a hidden secret -- yet complaints about the weather seem to always follow any cruise there.  Do people just skip on checking what the climate is for their vacation destinations?

And it's not just Komodo/Indonesia.  I've read the complaints about visiting Devil's Island.  And people know it was a terrible prison location, yet they still complain.

Just wondering why...why....why....?

Excellent question.  I think one of my Dear Wife's regular sayings might fit.

"Stupid has a price".....🥃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

You don't mention what the negative issues were, so it's hard to offer targeted thoughts. Here are a few negatives I've read in the past:

You can only go ashore as part of a sanctioned excursion.

Tender required.

The heat is debilitating.

You will have to run the gauntlet of t-shirt hawkers at the end of your tour (unless you sidestep them).

All are true - none of them matter at all. The tour is short. The opportunity to see these prehistoric critters up close and learn about them from the wardens is a lifetime experience. And there's always the chance that you too will get to see an idiot pax try to attempt a selfie with a dragon and nearly become lunch.

You about covered it thanks. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

There are folks that want nature, there are folks that want urban comforts.  The former will enjoy Komodo.  The latter will want a Disney/zoo experience and be unhappy.

I resemble that remark

image.thumb.jpeg.47e23d160890347d970a93c1bbc5c04f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.29c6b8550a7f82ac7988ce4d0012b838.jpeg

15 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Was a memorable trip and agree "Staying on board would be unthinkable"

This was a true gauntlet as we were leaving.

I had intended to buy some toy komodo dragons for our grand children. I know they are probably plastic and made in China, but they would be a komodo bought on Komodo Island.

However with the  clamoring and pushy people foisting merchandise at you, we just hurried on back to the dock.

I felt very bad for the locals because no one seemed to be buying, just hurrying past. I just wish they were not so aggressive, and more would be sold. 

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

The free tours For many ports are still not posted. I think the highest cabin category picks Sept 5. Can anyone verify this? Seems ridiculous. 

There are 4 ports without included excursions, my guess is that as these are new ports that they are still working out details.  Excursions open 9/25 according to MVJ for us in a PV.  I don’t find it ridiculous.  

The free tours For many ports are still not posted. I think the highest cabin category picks 

mine open 9/21 as we are on the prior New Zealand Cruise. Friends open 9/5 as they are also on the New Zealand cruise. When you book 2 cruise on the same ship, they open a little earlier

I cruised in August. Included tours were good and bad.  Some were really good. Some were not.  Most were ok, nothing special. I really disliked self guided tours. I am not a guide. I made the mistake of thinking that a guide would provide commentary. Wow, was I wrong.   I went to port talks to get info. Unfortunately shore excursion reps often gave misinformation.  No maps given.  QR codes?  I tend to not use my phone on vacation. My phone plan doesn’t include cruise ships.  My advice is research before cruise, print maps, know what you want to see, and learn what type of transportation is available in each port.

11 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I tend to not use my phone on vacation. My phone plan doesn’t include cruise ships.  

All you need is WiFi on the ship so you can use Viking Voyager, scan QR codes and maybe make free phone calls if your plan includes WiFi calling. Never use cell services on the ship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I  No maps given.  QR codes?  I tend to not use my phone on vacation. My phone plan doesn’t include cruise ships.  My advice is research before cruise, print maps, know what you want to see, and learn what type of transportation is available in each port.

They used to give out maps but stopped a couple years ago - as they told me so many people told them they were a waste.

I always research the ports extensively before leaving home - learned that from some of our long-time CruiseCritic contributors!   Not only do I print things out, but I search for different things I'd like to see, how to get to them, etc.   I also download Google Maps for each port and then can find my way around without cell service.  Works so well!

Maybe because I also spent many years traveling on my own for work and with spouse that I had to do all this research before smart phones became so popular, that it is relatively obvious to me to do so.  Also for me the research and planning are things I enjoy and add to the excitement of the upcoming trip(s)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I cruised in August. Included tours were good and bad.  Some were really good. Some were not.  Most were ok, nothing special. I really disliked self guided tours. I am not a guide. I made the mistake of thinking that a guide would provide commentary. Wow, was I wrong.   I went to port talks to get info. Unfortunately shore excursion reps often gave misinformation.  No maps given.  QR codes?  I tend to not use my phone on vacation. My phone plan doesn’t include cruise ships.  My advice is research before cruise, print maps, know what you want to see, and learn what type of transportation is available in each port.

You can easily download maps to your phone before you leave.  And these maps will track your location without using data.