A Pinnacle tries Virgin

It's great to see @little britain trying out VV. Everyone should try it at some point, they're a fun cruise line. We've sailed VV four times now and it's truly different than most every cruise line out there. Some big differences for Royal Caribbean / Celebrity sailors.

You cannot select your stateroom if you book yourself online, the system automatically assigns your stateroom, usually starting on Deck 14.  TAs can book a specific stateroom or you have to call Sailor Services to select a specific room

The best way to describe the experience is summer camp for adults. It's a very chill and relaxed ship that has one absolutely crazy night party on Scarlet Night. It's an absolute blast, but only one night. If you have sensitive ears, I recommend ear plugs for the big party on the pool deck. My wife really enjoys the speed puzzling events and the mural coloring.

Your rooms will be ready at embarkation because of the late start. So you can drop your bags off when you board the ship. If you want early embarkation without the Deep Blue Extras perks you can purchase the Splash of Romance package. One perk is early embarkation but only 75 to 90 are sold for each voyage.

Pool is a postage stamp. If you really like pools, you'll have to accept that VV created a 'lounge pool' with a tiny deep end with most of it about 4" deep for lounging and dancing. There is another round "pool" at the Gym and Tonic bar that looks like a huge hot tub for 20 or so, but is not heated. They missed a great opportunity to build a pool on 16 aft, ala The Haven on the Prima Class, but installed that catamaran net instead. The net is so uncomfortable, it's good for your selfie and that's about it. We are pool people but we give this a pass because we love so much about this cruise line.

A great spot to relax on sea days or any day are what I call the 'porches' on Deck 7 mid. You can choose to sit in the sun or the shade depending on which side of the ship you're on.

No Cruise Director. A Happenings Cast of 11 to 13 people who all 'specialize' in some aspect of of the cruise experience. Foodie, Gamer, Diva, etc...  Our favorite is usually the Diva and Bingo with the Diva is not to be missed. So much fun. Around the World in 80 Minutes with the Diva is a hoot as well.

Shows are quite different. The Red Room is a black box theater that can be configured in about four different ways from traditional stage show to standing room only performances. The shows are nothing like the traditional broadway style shows you'll see on Royal or the 'interesting' shows in Eden on Celebrity. These are more like off broadway, experimental theater. You'll either love them or hate them.

Amazing music and bands each evening at On The Rocks whiskey bar. If you like to chill with some really good music, that's your spot in the evening. 

Some incredible food that some people miss on their first VV voyage. The Dock has awesome tapas during embarkation and during Opa Hour each evening. Pizza is really good, egg with truffle oil is one of my favorites. Sun Cafe on Deck 16 has great Poke bowls. I have to have one French Toast Burger on each sailing. For me "must tries" for every first time VV guest are Pink Agave and Razzle Dazzle. If you're adventurous, Test Kitchen is a fun evening, though you may want some pizza afterwards as it is usually a pretty small meal. Extra Virgin has had the best steaks the past few times we've sailed. 

Best stateroom on the ladyship is the Cheeky Corner Suite. Just incredible balconies and views for days. Standard staterooms have very small showers. If you're looking for a larger shower and bathroom without a rockstar suite, that would be the XL Sea Terrace. But you have to choose wisely because not all come with a hammock due to the curved shape of the front of the ship. Some have 'birdcages.'  

If you want that hammock but want to save some loot, the view from the Ltd View Sea Terraces on 8 is not bad at all. Yes, the lifeboats are there but the view is not bad. We still haven't seen the view from the Brilliant Lady with her new tucked in lifeboats so we don't know how that will be. But you will get 2 hammocks on those. 🙂 

Enjoy your cruise little britain!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

The catamaran net has been closed all cruise so never got to try that. 
Agree about the spaces for seating - loads of lounging areas near the catamaran, the little striped huts for two, and the outside seating so you can take your freshly made pizza 🍕 to order and eat in comfort. 
As I said before there is so

much sp a c e  on this ship. 
IMG_4616.thumb.jpeg.07c56f42d082b7b164294fcaa08be988.jpeg

IMG_4618.thumb.jpeg.211abf947393375f9e0dba8b8f3caffb.jpeg

I would say that the signage is pretty poor. There are no maps of the ship and the bar names are often on very small plaques and easily missed. We have given the bars nicknames as we don’t know what their real name is!!  Loose Cannon 🤷‍♀️ no idea ! 

IMG_4615.thumb.jpeg.1bab4d60acb0cbc19a62bcadd3193e79.jpeg

I have now discovered that you are meant to leave your boarding tag 🏷️ on your suitcase as it is also your disembarkation tag 🤦‍♀️ … of course I didn’t read that on the tag and pulled it off immediately as I always do! Quick trip to Sailor Services to pick up a new one.  There never is any queue there at all. 

Apparently they are as strict on disembarkation times as they were on boarding times to stagger the crowds. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Looks like a lot of shared tables? Are tables for two available? 

Yes, we had the best table at The Wake last night right by the aft window.
We did sit at a long shared table for TK but there was a place setting separating each couple, so you didn’t have to speak to your neighbours if you didn’t want to. 

• Thanks 1

OK - when did you last see cakes like this on RCI??! 
These are just 2 of the daily cake selections in The Galley (WJ)! It even has flipping gold leaf on!

I cannot stress enough how the good quality and presentation is on a different scale… and all included. 

One teeny criticism would be that the menus are the same in the restaurants every day ( apart from TK which changes every few days) but there are so many options within each restaurant menu that you need never repeat. 
The Galley also does daily specials - tonight it is Greek leg of lamb. Or there is a different burger flavour of the day. 

IMG_4621.thumb.jpeg.76252116e45082114fa3b52a3f488b89.jpeg

Edited by little britain
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Quick trip to Sailor Services to pick up a new one.  There never is any queue there at all. 

My first time on Oceania I marvelled everyday that there was NO ONE at guest services... EVER! Nothing to complain about. Same with Virgin I assume 👍

Loving all the food pics and various venues. Thx again LB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

My first time on Oceania I marvelled everyday that there was NO ONE at guest services... EVER! Nothing to complain about. Same with Virgin I assume 👍

Loving all the food pics and various venues. Thx again LB.

They can’t queue up to take off the tips for starters so I guess that kills off half the crowd!!!

Listening to singer 👩‍🎤 in one of the bars, amazing voice but the lack of a live band so just canned music detracts.  This is one of the few places they fall down imho

IMG_4622.thumb.jpeg.cb6ce0f927762295948184691046f60c.jpeg

IMG_4623.thumb.jpeg.c6b49b5cc1bf678e1addcf5bdc8a70f5.jpeg

To give an idea of drinks prices. 

Edited by little britain

Final dinner was in Extra Virgin which is the Italian. 
Between us we had a small cheese charcuterie board, meatballs, carbonara and sea bass- DH says the sea bass was superb and second best dinner of the cruise behind the steak last night. 
We had one final drink listening to some live music ( at last) and then time to put our suitcases outside by 11pm.

Final thoughts: if the most important part of your cruise is food then you will never go anything other than VV because the variety and quality far exceeds any other mainstream line we’ve tried ( including Azamara). 

Of course there is more than just the food… what we loved;

No kids or to be more precise adults only and that means they treat you as adults.. no reminder to wash your hands, announcements calling you to bingo or telling you that you can now get off the ship. You’re old enough to work these things out for yourself. 
Looking out to sea: every bar and restaurant had sea views and some had outside seating. There was a connection with the sea. Lifeboats did not block your view.
It never felt crowded.

A younger demographic ( always dangerous to judge on a short cruise) but with a younger vibe it feels more fun and relaxed but not tacky. 
With every dish being prepared to order you feel there is not as much food waste. 
No nickel and dime-ing anywhere - no one has tried to sell us a thing.  No flyers in the cabin promoting spa deals etc
No tips!!! The staff genuinely seemed happy and very efficient without trying to be your best friend in the hope of a 10. 
No one has mentioned about points or tiers…it just is not a thing. 

The negatives: entertainment and lack of live bands. The Persephone show was very weak compared to any RCI show… but the comedy magicians were amusing and fun. 
You won’t survive without an iPhone 

Lack of information - disembarking / bag tags/ suitcase outside door times 

The Ahoy Sailor is faux and can be grating

A bit too Scandinavian and stark in design. Some art in the hallway or stairwells wouldn’t go amiss. The balcony furniture is not comfy but the hammock is amaze-balls. 

We never saw an officer, no cruise director, no channel on the tv telling you what is going on. 
A tiny pool. No indoor solarium 

And finally - the last acronym is MNVV - my next Virgin voyage which is a next cruise option…. I’ll leave you to decide whether we bought one or not. 

Thanks for reading. 
Little Britain 🇬🇧 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

19 hours ago, little britain said:

It’s not made clear at all, but in the app under Shore Things ( shore excursions) you have to book your departure time. Latest is 10:30 🕥.  Thankfully someone asked about this in our roll call group
I’m not sure yet what happens to luggage 🧳 

Leave the same tags on as what they put on during embarkation. Put outside of your cabin by 10pm. Then pick it up at the terminal just like you do with Royal. They sort it by your selected disembarkation time. You don't need to get a disembarkation luggage tag like you do on Royal.

I'm not sure if there is anything special or extra nice that happens to it because of your Deep Blue status. 

Glad you are enjoying your cruise! 

Edited by TripsYouMustDo

18 hours ago, little britain said:

And finally - the last acronym is MNVV - my next Virgin voyage which is a next cruise option…. I’ll leave you to decide whether we bought one or not. 

Thanks for reading. 
Little Britain 🇬🇧 

Thanks for posting this review.  I've been mildly interested in Virgin, but not enough to seriously consider booking.  I don't think we're the target audience for Virgin so we'll probably just live vicariously through others.  My guess...you decided that you were glad that you took this cruise but won't be doing another one????

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 5:38 PM, bobmacliberty said:

My guess...you decided that you were glad that you took this cruise but won't be doing another one????

Sorry. Wrong answer! 

Edited by little britain
  • Haha 1

Great review and interesting perspective LB. 

last year we took advantage of the exceptional points offer for a week around the Med’ in August. Booked a sea terrace and “won” an upgrade to a Brilliant suite for a floor level bid. Absolutely loved it! They also offered “Deep blue extras” which have lived on through to the end of 2025 apparently.

So many of your observations mirror our own experiences. I feel we were a bit spoiled and when an opportunity arose for another good deal (not quite as great as the last one,) I booked another Sea Terrace. This time we got an upgrade to an XL (with glass and hammock) for less than $100, so I can’t really complain (although I am British, retired, and my wife would call paramedics if I didn’t, so naturally I will!)

Boarding next Saturday for 5 days. Since booking In May, this cruise has become a “Comedy festival,” with Russel Howard as the headliner, so something extra to add a bit more variety.

For anybody worrying about “the demographic,” I would echo your sentiments and say don’t. The vibe is very different but also very refreshing! Certainly worth giving it a go. 

Edited by Jetdriver787
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2024 at 1:43 AM, Ergates The Ant said:

Looks like a lot of shared tables? Are tables for two available? 

We've been on 5 VV cruises and the only places where you *have to* share a table are Gunbae (Korean BBQ) and Test Kitchen. (I believe in Test Kitchen it's possible to get a private table but it's hard). The rest of the restaurants have plenty of tables for two and my wife and I were never seated at a shared table other than the places I mentioned.

Thank you so much for this review!  We primarily sail Celebrity (although we’ve also sailed Royal, NCL, MSC, HAL and Carnival.)  Lately I’ve been looking at some other lines.  I have an Azamara cruise booked and the food on Virgin definitely sounds fantastic!!

On 9/2/2024 at 5:37 PM, little britain said:

You won’t survive without an iPhone 

Thank you for your review! I enjoyed seeing the ship through your perspective!

As someone that vacations to temporarily avoid technology, I do not carry my phone anywhere on the cruise ship. Would you mind elaborating the statement above? I'm not saying having to carry my phone is a deal breaker, but it is very unappealing to me! Thanks!

2 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Thank you for your review! I enjoyed seeing the ship through your perspective!

As someone that vacations to temporarily avoid technology, I do not carry my phone anywhere on the cruise ship. Would you mind elaborating the statement above? I'm not saying having to carry my phone is a deal breaker, but it is very unappealing to me! Thanks!

The phone /app is needed for the checkin process, booking restaurants etc. 

On board there is a cruise compass equivalent but it isn’t delivered to the cabin, you pick it up from certain locations around the ship: however if event locations change ( weather etc) as our pyjama party did, of course the app updates… there were many people at the old location wondering where the action was!! 
The OBC account updating as you spend is pretty instantaneous. 
The app is great for being able to message Guest services 

But no you don’t need to carry it around with you.

My comment was more geared to say that it’s app reliant in the whole booking process… technophobes with a Nokia 6610 won’t cope!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, little britain said:

The phone /app is needed for the checkin process, booking restaurants etc. 

On board there is a cruise compass equivalent but it isn’t delivered to the cabin, you pick it up from certain locations around the ship: however if event locations change ( weather etc) as our pyjama party did, of course the app updates… there were many people at the old location wondering where the action was!! 
The OBC account updating as you spend is pretty instantaneous. 
The app is great for being able to message Guest services 

But no you don’t need to carry it around with you.

My comment was more geared to say that it’s app reliant in the whole booking process… technophobes with a Nokia 6610 won’t cope!! 

That doesn't sound horrendous. Thank you!

• Thanks 1