How does everyone feel about specialty restaurants for lunch?

I thought lunch was going downhill in the MDR pre-covid and with the removal of the tutti salad, I don't see a reason to go back.  I've not found the lunch menus in the MDR particularly compelling for how long they would tend to take out of the day.

I always check to make sure the dish I really want hasn't been cut for the lunch menu or, if it has, there is something I'm willing to compromise for.  However, it has seemed generally worth the money to not have to fight crowds.  On our last cruise, we only did specialty dining at lunch (except for the first evening in Wonderland) because we were usually able to go to Coastal Kitchen for dinner (being in a junior suite) and it just fit our schedule better with our toddler.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

We have gotten into the habit of finding a nice place to have lunch out when in port, and mostly do specialty restaurants for lunch on sea days.  

Aren’t sea days that the only time the restaurants are open for lunch? 

For me it's a big no, the ONLY reason being if I ate that much at lunch I would go in a food coma and be tired the rest of the day.  I wish I could eat all the yummy food at lunch and agree it's a good plan, but man I would have no appetite for anything later.  Anyone else with the same problem?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KLMB said:

For me it's a big no, the ONLY reason being if I ate that much at lunch I would go in a food coma and be tired the rest of the day.  I wish I could eat all the yummy food at lunch and agree it's a good plan, but man I would have no appetite for anything later.  Anyone else with the same problem?

Yes !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KLMB said:

We skip dinner when we do specialty lunch. We might do the salad bar or have a small snack, but there is no way we could do a big lunch followed by a large dinner.  When we were younger, we could eat 3 big meals a day and not bat an eye, but now we dearly pay for that decision. 😄 I find that if we go walking around after our lunch, then we do just fine.  We do love specialty lunch because of the reduced pricing and we have started doing embarkation lunches so that we can escape the chaos.   

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:55 PM, livetravelcruise07 said:

We are going to be sailing on Grandeur of the Seas here soon and the prices for lunch at the specialty restaurants are a great price right now! We have the options of Giovanni's Table, Izumi or Chops Grille. Leaning more towards Giovanni's, currently $19 a person. How does everyone feel about doing lunch at a specialty restaurant in the middle of a sea day? We haven't done a lunch before; we have only ever done specialty restaurants for dinner, and we absolutely love doing that. Thank you!! 🤗

We love sea day lunches at Chops!  Highly recommend it.