Scooter on Rotterdam

Just wondering about getting one for Panama Canal,as I can walk too far. I had one on the Koningsdam and it was parked n the hall by staff. I am getting the feeling that they are not popular bon the ship from various comments. Not sure what to do.

3 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Just wondering about getting one for Panama Canal,as I can walk too far. I had one on the Koningsdam and it was parked n the hall by staff. I am getting the feeling that they are not popular bon the ship from various comments. Not sure what to do.

You can use a scooter.  If you rent one, make sure it is only 18" wide.  That way you can park it in the cabin.  Who cares if it's popular? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

You can use a scooter.  If you rent one, make sure it is only 18" wide.  That way you can park it in the cabin.  Who cares if it's popular? 🙂

I think it the blocking of the halls that is not popular (nor safe) for anyone, not the scooters themselves. 

As long as you can get it in your cabin it shouldn’t matter to others. 

Personally I’d like to see HAL providing a “parking space” that is large enough to hold several scooters and charge them, available by registration. That way more people could travel and the accessible cabins could be available for those who are not ambulatory or minimally ambulatory, and those using a scooter for the “longer distances”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking from practical experience, it can sometimes be very challenging to maneuver the smaller rental scooters into a non handicap accessible cabin and get it situated so you can walk around the bed/sofa safely. I have also been on HAL ships where they have set up a scooter parking/charging area near the elevators to avoid having them obstruct the already fairly narrow hallways. Not sure who that gets arranged with. Perhaps check with the HAL accessibility people.

I thought HAL required scooter users to keep the scooter in their cabin as a safety issue? 

My advice to anyone renting a scooter is to get the smallest one possible. The Pinnacles have narrow hallways with a lot of turns. I remember seeing a man with a large scooter have trouble making a turn in the hallway. 

@TiogaCruiser's suggestion of a charging/parking area is good, but it would have to be in a closed area away from walkways. Again, safety issue. 

• Like 3

HAL (or perhaps the individual ships) would do well to address this issue - an aging population (and HAL draws them), a wider acceptance of people with disabilities getting "out there", a limited number of accessible cabins - all create an increasing issue. Blocking the hallways, even temporarily, with scooters, wheel chairs, etc., (and food trays and strollers, too), create a safety issue, not only for able bodied people but for others needing to move down the hallways using mobility devices (including walkers, rollaters, canes and crutches). On my last cruise there was a disabled vets group, and many scooters and wheel chairs - some were parked near the elevators but my understanding is that that's not allowed or safe. I hope it doesn't take a lawsuit (injury or even death from a fall) to get their attention (I'm sure they've received comments/complaints about obstructed hallways).

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies. Last time I was not allowed to keep it in my cabin. He always parked it in the hall by the elevator. I had a scooter from special needs at sea. There was plenty of room in the hall. I have a balcony on deck seven, I am new to scooters and don’t use one at home as I just got from the car to a short distance. I did see quite a few on the Rotterdam last year and some very large ones. Well I guess I jus need one to get off in ports , going through Panama Canal,thanks again

• Like 1

We have rented scooters in the past, and this year purchased one for my husband. (cheaper option as they now charge $75 delivery fee, and $100 because we end in a different port).  In any case, we book a room that is either accessible, or near the elevators.  That way he can take the scooter into the cabin, usually we have to have the steward remove the table in front of the sofa.  Or it is parked out by the elevators and plugged in to charge.  Your room steward will come get the scooter and move it to a safe area.  And they will bring it back in the morning when you need it!  It isn't safe for them to be left in small hallways, and makes your neighbors angry when they have to navigate around them.  But it makes it so my husband can still travel!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highscar said:

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.   In 20 years sailing, never had a problem parking my scooter safely.    

Good to know, was supposed to have surgery but  I live in Canada so wait times are one year or more.then hip went

2 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

We have rented scooters in the past, and this year purchased one for my husband. (cheaper option as they now charge $75 delivery fee, and $100 because we end in a different port).  In any case, we book a room that is either accessible, or near the elevators.  That way he can take the scooter into the cabin, usually we have to have the steward remove the table in front of the sofa.  Or it is parked out by the elevators and plugged in to charge.  Your room steward will come get the scooter and move it to a safe area.  And they will bring it back in the morning when you need it!  It isn't safe for them to be left in small hallways, and makes your neighbors angry when they have to navigate around them.  But it makes it so my husband can still travel!

I am two doors from elevator on purpose, good idea to remove table in front of sofa!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I read that cruise lines are becoming concerned that people are "parking" the scooters in the hall instead of keeping it in the room.

This can create a fire hazard. 

If the room attendants are parking the scooters for the guest, I think there must be some sort of agreement that it is legal. 

Copied today from HAL "Know Before You Go":

" For the safety of all guests and crew, scooters and other mobility equipment need to be securely stored and charged in the guest’s stateroom and not in hallways or elevator lobbies. Scooters left in these areas could restrict people needing to travel through these areas in an emergency, particularly other guests using mobility aids, since they would have no way of getting by a scooter left in a hallway. "

~Nancy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, oakridger said:

Copied today from HAL "Know Before You Go":

" For the safety of all guests and crew, scooters and other mobility equipment need to be securely stored and charged in the guest’s stateroom and not in hallways or elevator lobbies. Scooters left in these areas could restrict people needing to travel through these areas in an emergency, particularly other guests using mobility aids, since they would have no way of getting by a scooter left in a hallway. "

~Nancy

Someone needs to tell all those room stewards who are reportedly parking the things in the halls.

• Like 2

Also saw those large scooters.  Never saw one in the hall, would not have really fit anyway. Maybe a better worry is for folks gathering near the stairs way before ship has been cleared for port.  That was a great time on the Volendam.

Edited by Dancing Shoes