suitcases on last day

This is the first time that I will be parking at the ships terminal.  We have always left our bags outside our door the night before and picked up in the holding area the next day to retrieve.  Is this done the same way when you can just walk off the ship?   And speaking of that, can we just leave the ship at any time or is there a time stamp for departure?

7 minutes ago, midnblue said:

This is the first time that I will be parking at the ships terminal.  We have always left our bags outside our door the night before and picked up in the holding area the next day to retrieve.  Is this done the same way when you can just walk off the ship?   And speaking of that, can we just leave the ship at any time or is there a time stamp for departure?

Same exact procedure, you will be given luggage tags with a departure time.  Numbers are from 1 to 20+.  All times are called within a hour or so start to finish. You can ask your room steward on the last night for a earlier number if you want to get off early. Or you can keep your luggage in your cabin and self disembark at 6:30 to 7 am.

Edited by taglovestocruise

Do you mean you are going to roll your suitcases down the gangway yourself? You don't need to leave anything outside the door then. Your group (self-debarkation) will be the first one to be called once the ship is cleared by the authorities. 

Yeah, I didn't think this through.  My husband will be on a haddicapped scooter, so luggage transport will be on me.  It gets a bit overwhelming to think out all details.   Thank you for responding.  This helps my thinking process.

• Like 1

I can tell you this can be a really quick process when the stars align. I was fortunate enough to be 3rd in line to disembark at Port Canaveral earlier this year.  They were a little late to actually open the doors on my cruise --but scanned my card at 7:40am and was in my car in the garage at 7:46.  Couldn't ask for much better.

I'm not looking to get off the ship early.   Its actually more work for me to get going too early.   I was just curious about the workings of the luggage.  This has been truly helpful.  Thank you all for responding.

10 minutes ago, midnblue said:

Yeah, I didn't think this through.  My husband will be on a haddicapped scooter, so luggage transport will be on me.  It gets a bit overwhelming to think out all details.   Thank you for responding.  This helps my thinking process.

Miss how Royal took care of HC Passengers 25yrs ago. Took my Father In Law on a Cruise in 2000. He needed to be Wheeled off Ship, couldn't walk Distances after Stroke 2yrs before effecting his right side. They wheeled off all 11 Passengers at same time, group was first off and Royal Worker wheeled him right to our Car Parked in Miami Lot next to the Ship. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, midnblue said:

In this case, if you are not in a big hurry to get off, take a number, let them take your luggage to the holding area , and get off the normal way. Once you collect you luggage, you can ask for a porter to help, they should help you to your car and load your luggage. Tips are welcome.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, midnblue said:

Does he have his own scooter or are you renting one from the ship?  If he has his own, you can depart when your number is called.  There will be a banner in the app to choose your disembarkation time.  The last day of the cruise, you will get a letter stating the schedule for departure and your assigned number, which will be on the luggage tags that you attach to your bags if you are putting them out the night before.  Just make sure you keep what you need for sleeping the last night and what you are going to wear off the ship.  You can then just exit the ship when your number is called and get your luggage in the terminal.  There will be porters that can help you take everything to your car if you want.

If he is renting a scooter and needs to get off the ship in a wheelchair, you will have to go to an area for those needing help and wait for a wheelchair.  You can find out the details of that process on the ship.

As far as timing of when the process start, it depends on when your ship is scheduled to get into port.  If your ship arrives at 6am, the process can start as early as 6:30 and end by 9.  If you are scheduled to come in at 7, it should start around 7:30.  Some ports move much faster than others since they will have two gangways operating to manage the flow.

1 hour ago, midnblue said:

Is this done the same way when you can just walk off the ship?  

You're asking about Self-Disembarkation.  It's easy:  Keep your luggage in your room.  You won't have an assigned time slot.  When you're ready, just take your stuff and leave.  No searching for your luggage in the terminal.  Assuming you're able-bodied and haven't over-packed, this is the easiest way to exit the ship.  

53 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Miss how Royal took care of HC Passengers 25yrs ago. Took my Father In Law on a Cruise in 2000. He needed to be Wheeled off Ship, couldn't walk Distances after Stroke 2yrs before effecting his right side. They wheeled off all 11 Passengers at same time, group was first off and Royal Worker wheeled him right to our Car Parked in Miami Lot next to the Ship. 

You can request help boarding /disembarking the ship -- all sorts of other helps too.  Fill out a Special Needs form ahead of time.  Email Special_Needs@rccl.com .

• Like 1

I don’t think you are asking about self-departure.  You don’t appear to want to get off early or have to wrangle suitcases while assisting your companion.  My guess is you are referring to having your vehicle close at hand.  Understand that, essentially everyone “walks” off the ship.  RC doesn’t care what you do after you exit the ship.  Car, shuttle, taxi, Uber/Lyft, covered wagon, spaceship.  The only way to avoid luggage in the hold area is to carry them yourself.  Ask Guest Services to assign your preferred disembark time, leave your bags out the night before, get off the ship, collect your bags in the holding area & go to your car.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midnblue said:

My husband will be on a haddicapped scooter. 

Then you need to put your bags out the night before and retrieve them in the terminal.

To try to do walk off / carry off will just create a problem and delay for those that can truly  handle their bags themselves.

Edited by cruisegus