What constitutes "May Be A Tender"?

klfrodo

We are currently planning our trip to Venice, Barcelona, & Rome next year. The trip includes a 10-night cruise on the NCL Breakaway.

Searching for things to do in ports, we see that Split, Croatia and Dubrovnik, Croatia are both listed as "May Be A Tender" port, whereas Cannes, France is definitely listed as a tender port.

So, my question is about Spilt and Dubrovnik. Who or what determines if these stops will be tender. If they are a tender port, does the port have contracted tenders? Or does the ship use its own lifeboats for tender purposes.

Why am I asking? We like to do private excursions. If a port is a tender port though, ship excursions have priority off the ship. So, just asking for planning purposes. (Plus the fact that the "Free At Sea" does include a small credit towards a shore excursion, so might as well use this credit during a tender port.)

These are usually ports where there are limited spaces to dock, so it depends on how many ships are visiting.

How it is decided seems to depend. For example, once in Mykonos (which has just one berth) we were told the night before that they still didn’t know whether we would tender or dock. On another occasion they knew right at the start of the cruise.

For what it’s worth, we have viseted Split and Dubrovnik a few times and always docked. From memory, Dubrovnik has a few berths so I’d guess that tendering is rare. I think that Split also has more than one berth as well.

Edited by KeithJenner

Your cruise confirmation should tell you whether or not they expect to tender - which, unfortunately, can change over time. Basically, it would depend on what other ships would be in port the same day. Quantity of ships in port and/or size of the ships often determines on who gets to dock, but there might be other priorities as well, such as who owns the dock. 

You can usually find the port schedules and see what they say for your specific port dates. From my experience, the ship will most likely be using life boats, at least in ports where docking is possible. It's a toss up for ports that always require a tender.

In Split and Dubrovnik you will dock.

Split has 4 berths for cruise ships but practically never more than 3 ships in port at the same time.

Dubrovnik you will also dock, because since approx. 2-3 years they have a cruise ship limit of max. 2 ships per day but have 3-4 berths,so for sure no tendering.

Two weeks ago we docked in Split and Dubrovnik.  Note however, we were listed as being docked in Mykonos and they switched it to a tender port two days prior to arriving. It did not go smoothly and there were people on our ship that missed their private tours. [Note - in that thread another person said they went to Guest Services and showed them their time for the private tour and they were given an earlier tender]

On 9/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, klfrodo said:

We are currently planning our trip to Venice, Barcelona, & Rome next year. The trip includes a 10-night cruise on the NCL Breakaway.

Searching for things to do in ports, we see that Split, Croatia and Dubrovnik, Croatia are both listed as "May Be A Tender" port, whereas Cannes, France is definitely listed as a tender port.

So, my question is about Spilt and Dubrovnik. Who or what determines if these stops will be tender. If they are a tender port, does the port have contracted tenders? Or does the ship use its own lifeboats for tender purposes.

Why am I asking? We like to do private excursions. If a port is a tender port though, ship excursions have priority off the ship. So, just asking for planning purposes. (Plus the fact that the "Free At Sea" does include a small credit towards a shore excursion, so might as well use this credit during a tender port.)

Means EXACTLY what it says.  The ship may either dock or tender at that port.

It simply means they don't know if they will get to dock or if they have to tender for the port... might be first come first serve or something like that... just plan as if it is a tender and then you can be pleasantly surprised if you get to dock and not have to worry about the tendering process. 

But it is my understanding that sometimes... even if you were scheduled to dock.. there could be a last minute change of plans. 

And SO FAR on my NCL experience... they use their lifeboats as tenders. I did read that they have bigger tenders for their private islands though. Their lifeboats hold more people than I realized... but they get pretty stuffy inside them so keep that in mind. 

And personally... I think I would do NCL excursions for ports that MIGHT tender to be safe you will make it on time. Save the private shore excursions for ports where tendering is unlikely. If you have an NCL shore excursion... you get priority tendering. 

I docked in both ports on my cruise. 

Edited by JSar

1 hour ago, JSar said:

And SO FAR on my NCL experience... they use their lifeboats as tenders. I did read that they have bigger tenders for their private islands though. Their lifeboats hold more people than I realized... but they get pretty stuffy inside them so keep that in mind. 

You were not on the Prima. That ship's lifeboats are not certified to be used as tenders. In the summer of 2023, every Prima cruise between England and Iceland skipped Isafjordur because the dock was not ready yet and the ship's lifeboats could not be used as tenders.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You were not on the Prima. That ship's lifeboats are not certified to be used as tenders. In the summer of 2023, every Prima cruise between England and Iceland skipped Isafjordur because the dock was not ready yet and the ship's lifeboats could not be used as tenders.

I didn't say I was on the Prima, but how would YOU Know whether or not I was? I have never declared each and every cruise I have ever been on. But for the record, no I wasn't. And I never said or implied I was. And did the OP even mention being on the Prima? Other ships DO go to those ports, I know I did on another ship! 

I also didn't say the ships lifeboats are are certified to be used at tenders - I have no clue whether they are CERTIFIED or not. 

WHAT I DID SAY IS... SO FAR on MY NCL experience, they have used their lifeboats as tenders on the cruises I have tendered on. Which is true. I have tendered several times, and each time, the boats used for tendering were the same boats that they have on ship to be used as lifeboats. I could even see where they were removed from where they are stored on the ship to be used as the tender boat, and once I even watched as they reloaded them back into their emergency lifeboat storage spots. Point is... You didn't need to quote me and correct anything I said... nothing I have said from MY experience is false. 

And I did say I DOCKED (and did not tender) in both ports the OP mentioned (Split and Dubrobnik). And yes, I DID Dock at both of those ports. 

I just shared MY experience on MY NCL cruises. And I stated it as such. 

Are the lifeboats CERTIFIED to be tenders? Again... no clue. But that IS what they have used for tendering on MY NCL cruises. But as I stated... I also READ that they use bigger tendering boats on their private islands. So I am going to ASSUME that I will be tendering on a bigger boat on my next cruise for Great Stirrup Cay... 

Edited by JSar
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JSar said:

I didn't say I was on the Prima, but how would YOU Know whether or not I was? I have never declared each and every cruise I have ever been on. But for the record, no I wasn't. And I never said or implied I was. And did the OP even mention being on the Prima? Other ships DO go to those ports, I know I did on another ship! 

I also didn't say the ships lifeboats are are certified to be used at tenders - I have no clue whether they are CERTIFIED or not. 

WHAT I DID SAY IS... SO FAR on MY NCL experience, they have used their lifeboats as tenders on the cruises I have tendered on. Which is true. I have tendered several times, and each time, the boats used for tendering were the same boats that they have on ship to be used as lifeboats. I could even see where they were removed from where they are stored on the ship to be used as the tender boat, and once I even watched as they reloaded them back into their emergency lifeboat storage spots. Point is... You didn't need to quote me and correct anything I said... nothing I have said from MY experience is false. 

And I did say I DOCKED (and did not tender) in both ports the OP mentioned (Split and Dubrobnik). And yes, I DID Dock at both of those ports. 

I just shared MY experience on MY NCL cruises. And I stated it as such. 

Are the lifeboats CERTIFIED to be tenders? Again... no clue. But that IS what they have used for tendering on MY NCL cruises. But as I stated... I also READ that they use bigger tendering boats on their private islands. So I am going to ASSUME that I will be tendering on a bigger boat on my next cruise for Great Stirrup Cay... 

I can say you were never on the Prima because the Prima lifeboats are not used as tenders as they are not certified to be used as tenders. If you had sailed on the Prima (as we did), YOU WOULD KNOW THAT.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I can say you were never on the Prima because the Prima lifeboats are not used as tenders as they are not certified to be used as tenders. If you had sailed on the Prima (as we did), YOU WOULD KNOW THAT.

And where in the OP did the OP say they were even ON the Prima? Again... NEVER SAID I WAS ON THE PRIMA. BTW... I would only know what a ship used to Tender if I actually tendered on the ship. And why they HECK would I know whether or not a boat is certified to tender? I am just going on a cruise... I leave will leave it to them to know what boats are certified and which are not for tendering. I have other things to worry about, like whether or not I packed my sunscreen (I am on vacation, not working for NCL). What, are you the post reply police?

Edited by JSar
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have a TA who must be having a bad day. Great customer service skills.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JSar said:

And where in the OP did the OP say they were even ON the Prima? Again... NEVER SAID I WAS ON THE PRIMA. BTW... I would only know what a ship used to Tender if I actually tendered on the ship. And why they HECK would I know whether or not a boat is certified to tender? I am just going on a cruise... I leave will leave it to them to know what boats are certified and which are not for tendering. I have other things to worry about, like whether or not I packed my sunscreen (I am on vacation, not working for NCL). What, are you the post reply police?

No, I am not the "post reply police". I only was giving the information that not all NCL ships have tenders. I am not sure why this is making you so upset.