Os loyalty program.

jonthomas

I am now looking at loyalty programs of other lines, without getting into specifics, Os loyalty is definitely not the best at sea.

I stand corrected for all those times that I said it was.

Now more than ever, O needs to update and enhance it, if it wants to keep its loyalists and attract others.

I will be on an O ship next week and will make it known to future cruise booking rep that there is a concern and to relay it to Miami.

I know, many if you will say, I'm wasting my time, all that just falls on deaf ears. I know, I know....after all who am I...

• Like 3

On 9/9/2024 at 7:15 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Gotta ask: are you saying you’ve been paying for your own gratuities???

Even if you are not yet Silver, I think you may be the first person I’ve come across that actually hasn’t had your gratuities covered by your TA (either using OCAPP funds or via commission sharing).

Now, that really is an “event.”

Under the current rules you can have both covered gratuities and the commission sharing. So one doesn’t exclude the other. Everyone will be paying their gratuities incorporated in the price after the change.

Edited by osandomir

20 hours ago, Trbd4739 said:

" Unfortunately, Cruise Critic does not allow me to delete anything.  Sorry, I did not mean to spread misinformation, and I would happily correct it if I could.  

If you wish, I believe you can report your own post and ask for it to be deleted? 

Supply and demand will determine the success or failure of any cruise pricing including any promo.  Do the math.  By keeping prices same with trading off beverages/excursions for gratuities is not attractive to most cruisers. Bookings will drop.  If dropping Simply More produces price cuts, books may increase. Oceania marketing is missing the essential reason how people book cruises.  If Oceania was straightforward and said that Simply More was being discontinued in favor of lower prices, I might be interested.  Having introduced Simply More, why not offer the choice of booking Simply More or cruise only.  Each time Oceania changes , it affects the future bookings. With the choice of Olife or cruise only, I was delighted.  Now Oceania has messed it up.   What will become of Oceania?  Time will tell.  I have no future bookings on Oceania. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

By keeping prices same with trading off beverages/excursions for gratuities is not attractive to most cruisers. 

How do you know that? For us, including everything except alcohol drinks works perfectly because we don't drink and prefer private tours. So new inclusions structure is the best of all cruise lines that I'm aware of.

Of course the pricing will determine how attractive the whole package is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

How do you know that? For us, including everything except alcohol drinks works perfectly because we don't drink and prefer private tours. So new inclusions structure is the best of all cruise lines that I'm aware of.

I'll "do the math" with a recent (June) example cruise to back up our position that YWI is actually a better value-deal for some of us even with prices staying the same.

Our June cruise was 11 days with the SM package, so we got wine/beer at lunch/dinner which is of no value to us since our usual (if any) drink spending is on pre-dinner cocktails. The SM shorex credits were $300 per person and the gratuities were $198 per person. I am not enamored with shorex (O-sponsored or any other group tours) as I prefer to explore independently (with the occasional guide when warranted). I did use the SM credits in June, but I probably would have spent that money in a different way, so it is not worth $300 for me. So, drink package is worth $0, shorex-credits are worth $0-150ish, and gratuities are worth $198 (or $250 if 2nd ppg); so, for me the YWI program is a value of $198 while the SM program was worth $0 (to $150 if there was a tour I would take even without a credit).

I understand that other people value the drink package and shorex credits, and may feel cheated. I am very happy to go back to the cruise-only model with the option to add packages to make each person's cruise as inclusive as wanted. Go see how Windstar does it...it's not novel.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I'll "do the math" with a recent (June) example cruise to back up our position that YWI is actually a better value-deal for some of us even with prices staying the same.

Our June cruise was 11 days with the SM package, so we got wine/beer at lunch/dinner which is of no value to us since our usual (if any) drink spending is on pre-dinner cocktails. The SM shorex credits were $300 per person and the gratuities were $198 per person. I am not enamored with shorex (O-sponsored or any other group tours) as I prefer to explore independently (with the occasional guide when warranted). I did use the SM credits in June, but I probably would have spent that money in a different way, so it is not worth $300 for me. So, drink package is worth $0, shorex-credits are worth $0-150ish, and gratuities are worth $198 (or $250 if 2nd ppg); so, for me the YWI program is a value of $198 while the SM program was worth $0 (to $150 if there was a tour I would take even without a credit).

I understand that other people value the drink package and shorex credits, and may feel cheated. I am very happy to go back to the cruise-only model with the option to add packages to make each person's cruise as inclusive as wanted. Go see how Windstar does it...it's not novel.

Exactly our math!

And yes, take a look at Windstar. Drinks, gratuities and WiFi not included, you can add them as a package for $89, or add each one separately, but I think WiFi and gratuities alone will be around $50. So $89 is a good value for people who drink, those who don't - not so much.

But then again, for us, this is not a material factor in our decision. We won't book WS just because it's slightly cheaper, if the prices are comparable and one of them has a better itinerary, we won't give the inclusions too much weight.

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

On my last cruise in May, 14 nights, our gratuities were $504.  We had simply more $1000 shore excursion credit plus wine and beer with meals.  Now, Oceania will include the gratuities and drop excursion credits and charge extra if you want drinks with meals.  Keeping the same fares, Oceania has increased their revenue.  While I agree that costs have increased, trading tips included for excursion credits and drinks doesn’t give the consumer more value.  It increases Oceania revenue.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

On my last cruise in May, 14 nights, our gratuities were $504.  We had simply more $1000 shore excursion credit plus wine and beer with meals.  Now, Oceania will include the gratuities and drop excursion credits and charge extra if you want drinks with meals.  Keeping the same fares, Oceania has increased their revenue.  While I agree that costs have increased, trading tips included for excursion credits and drinks doesn’t give the consumer more value.  It increases Oceania revenue.  

As I mentioned before, I couldn’t care less about Oceania revenue. All I care is the value that I get. See the math in the previous post. To people who don’t drink drinks worth Zero. Excursion credit is worth very little to me. But gratuitous are real money in my pocket.

So your statement that the new pricing structure is not attractive to most cruisers is not necessarily correct. You don’t know what most cruisers want.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Exactly our math!

And yes, take a look at Windstar. Drinks, gratuities and WiFi not included, you can add them as a package for $89, or add each one separately, but I think WiFi and gratuities alone will be around $50. So $89 is a good value for people who drink, those who don't - not so much.

But then again, for us, this is not a material factor in our decision. We won't book WS just because it's slightly cheaper, if the prices are comparable and one of them has a better itinerary, we won't give the inclusions too much weight.

I've never found a WS at a comparable price point for the O and WS base (no add ons) fares...WS is always quite a bit more than O for the limited comparisons I've done. However, WS has the watersports platform which I find super valuable/desirable in warm climates (which would include Alaska if they would just go back there!).

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

You keep arguing this. Honestly, it’s great that it works for you. But to many, they do feel losses who value wine/beer inclusions or excursion credits, and discounting that perspective in favor of yours is certainly a different way of looking. For us, wine/beer included was a bonus. Excursions not so much. But we are not going to mitigate those who feel the loss for the excursion credit. 
‘at the end of the day, taking these away for a $36-$46/per day bonus doesn’t compute. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

You keep arguing this. Honestly, it’s great that it works for you. But to many, they do feel losses who value wine/beer inclusions or excursion credits, and discounting that perspective in favor of yours is certainly a different way of looking. For us, wine/beer included was a bonus. Excursions not so much. But we are not going to mitigate those who feel the loss for the excursion credit. 
‘at the end of the day, taking these away for a $36-$46/per day bonus doesn’t compute. 

I'm not discounting anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone is presenting their own perspective. We have know idea how many people support my perspective and how many yours. I was just responding to a poster who said that new pricing is not attractive to most cruisers. We know what we think. We don't know what most cruisers think. That's all. lets respect other people's opinions and perspective.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I'm not discounting anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone is presenting their own perspective. We have know idea how many people support my perspective and how many yours. I was just responding to a poster who said that new pricing is not attractive to most cruisers. We know what we think. We don't know what most cruisers think. That's all. lets respect other people's opinions and perspective.

Common sense says that anyone with even just a third grade education would find continuing to pay for something that has been taken away from you (whether you use it or not) NOT attractive. 

Many folks here continue to miss the key issue. 
Again, if you are Silver Level O Club or above, you already get gratuities as a comped amenity. On top of that, taking away the other amenities but still charging you for them (in the unchanged fare) would disappoint most people.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Actually, I was trying to respect your opinion. I am sorry if you misinterpreted that and I did not present that in the manner I meant to. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Exactly our math!

We just booked with Windstar for the first time under their "Special"

Windstar’s 2026 sailing season is bursting with new itineraries and destinations — along with more overnight stays at iconic harbors and more immersive cultural experiences.

Be among the first to reserve a 2026 voyage and you’ll enjoy a complimentary All-Inclusive experience — with Wi‑Fi, unlimited wine, beer and cocktails, and all gratuities — valued at more than $1,200 per suite on a 7-day cruise.

You’ll also receive up to $200 onboard credit per stateroom, usable on our award-winning shore excursions, treatments at the World Spa by Windstar and other onboard amenities.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, goletans said:

Windstar’s 2026 sailing season is bursting with new itineraries and destinations — along with more overnight stays at iconic harbors and more immersive cultural experiences.

Be among the first to reserve a 2026 voyage and you’ll enjoy a complimentary All-Inclusive experience — with Wi‑Fi, unlimited wine, beer and cocktails, and all gratuities — valued at more than $1,200 per suite on a 7-day cruise.

You’ll also receive up to $200 onboard credit per stateroom, usable on our award-winning shore excursions, treatments at the World Spa by Windstar and other onboard amenities.

Yes I saw their special. If O 2026 itineraries are not out by the end of September, we are going to book WS if we find a good itinerary at reasonable price. Not waiting for O.

Edited by ak1004

44 minutes ago, goletans said:

This prompted me to check the WS site again...back to Alaska in 2026! O has some competition now for my Alaska cruise getaways 🙂 

Oh eek, I just saw "Alaska" and didn't check price...starts at over $500pppd...a lot more than O, so not sure access to kayaks is worth it.

I really need to read before posting...sheesh (was just so excited to see WS in Alaska). This is the inaugural sailing of a new ship so of course it will be at the higher end...still tempting.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

8 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

This prompted me to check the WS site again...back to Alaska in 2026! O has some competition now for my Alaska cruise getaways 🙂 

Oh eek, I just saw "Alaska" and didn't check price...starts at over $500pppd...a lot more than O, so not sure access to kayaks is worth it.

I really need to read before posting...sheesh (was just so excited to see WS in Alaska). This is the inaugural sailing of a new ship so of course it will be at the higher end...still tempting.

I looked as well after reading this thread. The new WS ship has 1 sailing in the Mediterranean when it lunches, then makes its way to Alaska. The new ship is mostly verandah staterooms, as well as floor to ceiling windows staterooms. Balconies were pricey for sure. Will be interesting to see how it does against not only O, but SB and other lines. Alaska isn’t our 2026 destination, but for those who it is, an added small ship player for sure in the market. 

Unhappy with the upcoming (Oct. 1) changes to O’s complimentary amenities?

Pease consider taking the time to let key O management personnel know about your disappointment and/or anger.
Here’s the contact info of several key O managers (including email). BTW, this info is readily available public info available from sources like Elliott.orgScreenShot2024-09-10at10_40_53AM.png.6d8ee02cfd8cb174267ab8c9832dc7ca.png

On 9/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

I've never found a WS at a comparable price point for the O and WS base (no add ons) fares...WS is always quite a bit more than O for the limited comparisons I've done. However, WS has the watersports platform which I find super valuable/desirable in warm climates (which would include Alaska if they would just go back there!).

You might take another look at WS.  WS is amazing and they have some very good promos.  We booked. 

52 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

You might take another look at WS.  WS is amazing and they have some very good promos.  We booked. 

I do keep looking occasionally (probably should get on their email list) but so far have not had anything grab me. I'm only willing to spend x-amount on a cruise, otherwise I'll do some indulgent land travel. Their return to Alaska is good news for us though since this is where we like to go "play" (i.e., not travel).